Review Life of Brian (1979)

Tuco

Member: Rank 2

I don't know why neither this (nor Holy Grail) is ever on any of the premium movie channels. It is a brilliant satire. I don't know what prompted it, but as I was standing at the sink washing dishes yesterday, the following scene featuring Michael Palin popped into my head, and I just started laughing and laughing.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Woooo-hooo! Good man yourself!

We could play "favourite quote"
We could cheerfully sit and snigger, in a cyber-but-together act of Python solidarity...

Or I could ask - "Judean People's Front" or "People's Front of Judea"? you potential splitter? Declare yourself, or there will be no wolf nipple chips for you before bedtime.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
So many great scenes from this. You have Eric Idle explaining haggling to Brian, the Centurion making Brian write the Latin phrase one hundred times, the Sermon on the Mount, the followers arguing about the meaning of the sandal and the gourd (really, it reminds me of so many christians I have met), and, of course, the best crucifixion scene ever.

(And good evening to you, m'lady!)

Carol

I'm not oppressing you, Stan, you haven't got a womb.
YES! Don't know whether to laugh, cry or pour another glass so near to bedtime...
I know - a true bedtime story for all followers of the true Brian:

(1) Welsh Methodists were amongst the most appalled by the film and opposed to its release in parts of Wales.

(2) Sue Jones-Davies (Judith) went into local politics and became Mayor of Aberystwyth - whereupon she ended the ban on the film and herself, as Mayor attended the Aberystwyth premiere (a bit late but who's counting?)

(3) Perhaps everyone prepared to enter politics and take tax payers' money for the privelege should appear naked on a big screen before taking office? That'll thin out the herd!

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Little known fact: The disposable rubber glove was invented by the Romans. Often times, they would have Jewish crews working with them during crucifixions, and the Jewish workers weren't keen on getting blood on their hands, especially from other races, as they believe in being Kosher. So a Roman came up with the idea for the gloves, to avoid...Cross contamination.

Thank you, I'll be here all week. You're a lovely crowd. Don't forget the tip your waitress.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
There shall, in that time, be rumors of things going astray, erm, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things with the sort of raffia work base that has an attachment. At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.

Carol

the sort of raffia work base that has an attachment
That Cyril, eh? Call himself a theologian? Not exactly useful in the specifics of well-finished handicrafts - I mean, what sort of an attachment - I could be thinking in terms of a well-rinsed Mateus Rose bottle, suitable for conversion to a highly tasteful lamp, but he could be thinking sex toy. I mean, give us a functional diagram with numbered parts or admit we're better off selling our souls to IKEA.