Review MOONBASE 3: DEPARTURE AND ARRIVAL - Episode 1

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
moonbase3_02.jpeg

Your thoughts on this episode....

Astronaut Harry Sanders (Michael Wisher) suffers a mental breakdown while piloting a shuttle from the Moon back to Earth, causing an accident that kills him and his passenger, Moonbase 3 director Tony Ransome (Michael Lees). Under political pressure to close the Moonbase following the deaths, the Director-General of the European space programme appoints David Caulder to take over as Director of Moonbase 3 and investigate the accident.

On to the next episode....

BEHEMOTH

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/moonbase-3-behemoth-episode-2.4245/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, I loved the way this plot played out. I thought Donald Houston was brilliant in it - likeable but authoritative and very much a steel fist in a velvet glove, while still a kind man at heart.

Eerie echoes of the STAR COPS that was yet to come, but have to say I prefer this show and the characters in it

Sad to think that Terrance Dicks and Barry Letts both dismissed it as a failure. And we so very nearly lost it forever until they found it in Canada. But I think this series will stand the test of time and gain more and more appreciation as the years go by - especially if the slightly murky picture quality gets a nice remastering at some point.

A solid first episode and a good introduction for the regulars.