Review Mortal Engines (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Dqul7pM.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

A mysterious young woman named Hester Shaw joins forces with Anna Fang, a dangerous outlaw with a bounty on her head, and Tom Natsworthy, an outcast from London, to lead a rebellion against a giant predator city on wheels.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Jackson Shows “Mortal Engines” Concept Art

jackson-shows-mortal-engines-concept-art-696x464.jpg

Peter Jackson has premiered the first concept art for the upcoming film adaptation of Philip Reeve’s young adult novel series “The Mortal Engines” at MRC & Universal Pictures.

Robert Sheehan, Hugo Weaving and Stephen Lang lead the cast in this adaptation of Philip Reeve’s young adult novel series set in a devastated future world where the world’s cities are run by engines and move about Earth, giving them the ability to prey on other smaller towns for resources.

The story follows a teenager named Tom Natsworthy who, along with a young woman from a territory known as the Outlands, uncovers a mystery that could change the world order.

Jackson’s protege Christian Rivers is directing the project which Jackson is producing. Jackson, wife Fran Walsh and collaborator Philippa Boyens are adapting the script. The project is being produced in New Zealand.

“Mortal Engines” opens in cinemas on December 14th 2018.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Brilliant!!!! PJ's ability to bring whole worlds to the screen is unparalleled and I can't wait to see how this ultimately shows on the big screen!

Thanks again OZ..... you da bomb!!!!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

Doctor Omega

Mortal Engines
“Mad Max: Fury Road,” “Deadpool” and “Tomb Raider” score composer Junkie XL has revealed he’s set to do the score for Peter Jackson’s “Mortal Engines” film. Set thousands of years after civilization was destroyed by a cataclysmic event, humankind has adapted with gigantic moving cities now roaming the Earth, ruthlessly preying upon smaller traction towns.

Doctor Omega

“Mortal Engines” To Lose $100M At Box-Office

mortal-engines-to-lose-100m-at-box-office-696x464.jpg

That was fast. With only one weekend under its belt, Variety reports that the Peter Jackson-produced steampunk fantasy adventure “Mortal Engines” is on track to lose up to $100-125 million for Universal Pictures.

The film opened worldwide last week and in the U.S. this past Friday, and has so far pulled in a mere $42 million globally from a budget of over $100 million along with tens of millions spent in marketing and promotion. In the States this past weekend, it debuted to a disastrous $7.5 million in fifth – a far cry from both “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” which took the top spot with $35.4 million and Clint Eastwood’s “The Mule” which came in second with $17.4 million.

Reviews for the film weren’t terrible but were not good by any means. Jeff Bock, an analyst with Exhibitor Relations, says: “This is a true Christmas disaster and a lump of coal for Universal. They took a big swing, and they struck out. Everybody is having a tough go trying to appeal to that young adult marketplace. It’s a generation gap between studios and what they think young audiences like. TV is getting it right, and movies aren’t.”

Various studios passed on the project over the years as it was always a hard film to market. The film’s failure comes after Universal has had a bumper few months with major successes like “Halloween,” “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” and “The Grinch”.

Doctor Omega

I just got back from seeing it - having never read the book(s) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought it ten times a better storyline than CRIMES OF GRUMBLEWICKLEHATCH and played well throughout.

There were moments that made me think of STAR WARS, TERMINATOR and ATTACK ON TITAN, but I really couldn't see what the critic hatred was all about. This sure doesn't deserve 27% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The storytelling was clear, and the characters were engaging.

Maybe there is something that people loved in the books that was missing in this film and that absence offended people. I don't know.

But, taken as a movie, this was a very pleasant surprise, and I don't think it deserves to have bombed as badly as it has with critics and cinema-goers.

Doctor Omega

5 Differences Between The 'Mortal Engines' Movie and Books

Peter Jackson's 'Mortal Engines' adaptation of the 2001 Philip Reeve sci-fi quartet hits cinemas after over 8 years of preparation. The first of a film series, it features giant 'predator cities' on wheels. A young woman, Hester Shaw (Hera Hilmar), emerges as the only one who can stop the city of London from wreaking havoc. Fans complained about Shaw's reduced facial scar in the trailer. We asked director Christian Rivers how the new-look scar was achieved.
As the film is produced by Universal, Minions feature in the London Museum scene of the film instead of Disney characters described in the book. St Paul's Cathedral has been flipped so the doors face backwards. Fans will be delighted that Anna Fang is even more badass in the film, as singer and actor Jihae trained for months to get into the role. And Stephen Lang's portrayal of Shrike used some unusual influences to get into character. Mortal Engines will be in cinemas from 8 December.