Review Movies from DIMENSION X!

Discussion in 'Film: General' started by Doctor Omega, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

ban1.jpg

Post your reviews here of movies that don't exist in our universe....

But perhaps they do in some other dimension....

What was the movie called?

What was it about?

And is it worth watching? :emoji_confused:

2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

frankenstein1.jpg

Immediately, following his success in Dracula, Bela Lugosi had hoped to play Dr. Frankenstein in Universal's original film concept, but the actor was expected by Carl Laemmle Jr. to be the Monster (a common move for a contract player in a film studio at the time) to keep his famous name on the bill. After several make-up tests resembling that of Paul Wegener in The Golem), the Dracula star reluctantly commited to the project.

The part that Lugosi played was simply a killing machine without a touch of human interest or pathos, reportedly causing Lugosi to complain, "I was a star in my country and now I am a scarecrow over here!"

Florey later wrote that "the Hungarian actor didn't show himself very enthusiastic for the role and didn't want to play it But play it he did."

Recent evidence suggests that the studio heads wanted to kick Lugosi off the project, along with director Robert Florey when the newly arrived James Whale asked for the property, but filming was already well underway and the studio was not willing to foot the cost of restarting the project.

The eventual released film was a modest success, but never really became a classic as Dracula did. Most criticisms were levelled at Lugosi's performance - and his career never quite recovered from this mis-step.