Review Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Anouk

Member: Rank 1
I would like to start this sub-forum. Comment here for any of the films which showed on this series, or even any film so-bad-that-it's-good that should have appearedon this legendary TV program. From Plan 5 from Outer Space to the Giant Gila Monster, from Clonus to Reefer Madness. We could comment on the frame of the TV program, the robots, AND ALSO, on the films themselves.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
i always had a soft spot for their riff on BRIDE OF THE MONSTER. Not only because I love the film, but because they have fun ripping into this "classic". There was also a short film before it about selling cars, which they are hilarious during.

I was always curious why they chose THIS ISLAND EARTH of their feature film. I love their treatment of it, but I always thought there were worse movies they could have done. Maybe they chose it because it was one that wasn't a public domain film, and they could choose something of a little higher grade? Either way, I still love the MST3K movie.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I always like a riff on a movie I like. One of my favourite rifftrax is the on they did on Alien, which is one of my favourite films.
Some of my favourite MST3K eps are Soulkeeper, Space Mutiny and Squirm.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Teenagers from Outer Space was the first episode I ever saw, so it holds a special place in my heart. After that, not sure what my favorite would be. The movie is also very funny. I'm three episodes into the return on Netflix, and while not great, it is still funny. It's just hard to recapture what made the original so good.

duzit

Member: Rank 6
Teenagers from Outer Space was the first episode I ever saw, so it holds a special place in my heart. After that, not sure what my favorite would be. The movie is also very funny. I'm three episodes into the return on Netflix, and while not great, it is still funny. It's just hard to recapture what made the original so good.
I was wondering how the new Netflix take on this was. Thanks for posting your opinion, I'm going to check it out...:emoji_purple_heart:

duzit

Go out now and buy series 1-6 on DVD. 7 & 8 were not that great, but there are moments. Series 9 is a thre part mini, and pretty good. Series X is a return to the old school Dwarf. Haven't seen series 11 yet.

As much as I hate Amazon, they have ALL the RD seasons available for streaming @ $4.99 per.
I'm going to start tonight. I'll get back to you & let you know how I like it. The premise does sound
like something I'd enjoy...:emoji_relaxed::emoji_purple_heart:

Hux

So I finished the new series and it was... okay. I like the leads (can robots be described as leads?) and the supporting work of the lovely Felicia Day and the cuddly Patton Oswalt but this show stands or falls on the movies and the riffing. In that regard, it could have been better.

Reptilicus - (6/10)
Cry Wilderness - (2/10)
The Time Travelers - (8/10)
Avalanche - (3/10)
The Beast of Hollow Mountain - (5/10)
Starcrash - (6/10)
The Land That Time Forgot - (7/10)
The Loves of Hercules - (4/10)
Yongary: Monster of the Deep - (5/10)
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom - (7/10)
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II - (5/10)
Carnival Magic - (6/10)
The Christmas That Almost Wasn't - (4/10)
At the Earth's Core - (6/10)

Overall, not as good as it could have been. The films they picked were generally poor (Time Travelers being the best) making the jokes too obvious and consequently not that funny. The spontaneity of the riffing also needs to improve. It felt too rehearsed and scripted. When I watched Space Mutiny, they not only mocked the film but also openly laughed at what each other was saying as well as what the characters were doing -- it felt natural.

The need to pick truly abysmal films and record their natural responses as well as the scripted stuff.

I'd give the show 7/10 in general and hope it gets another season.

duzit

@Hux,

This is in my Netflix to watch list. Based on your review I think I might skip it now and use the time for other more interesting viewing◆◆◆:emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart: