News Nightwing Movie: IN DEVELOPMENT

Discussion in 'Cinema: Announced' started by Doctor Omega, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

• Like Like x 1
  2. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

It's about time! I love Nightwing!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

“Nightwing” Film Needs A Committed Actor

nightwing-film-needs-a-committed-actor-696x464.jpg

If you want to play Nightwing in the upcoming DCEU live-action film at Warner Bros. Pictures, be prepared to go to extraordinary lengths according to the film’s director Chris McKay.

Bill Dubuque (“The Accountant”) is writing the script about Dick Grayson, the youngest member of a family of acrobats who became Batman’s sidekick Robin and then left him to set out on his own as the hero Nightwing.

McKay, coming off the success of “The LEGO Batman Movie,” revealed on Twitter this week how his “Nightwing” movie is progressing and admits his deep affection for the character means he’s not going to accept someone for the role unless they’re fully committed:

“The story of Dick Grayson, becoming Robin, then becoming Nightwing played out for us, the audience, in the comics in REAL TIME. It wasn’t a flashback. We experienced it.

So all of Robin/Nightwing’s successes and failures we were along for the ride. And people that underestimated Robin or dismissed him perhaps had their opinions changed as we watched him “grow up” right in front of us.

His relationships, his conflicts with Batman et al felt real to me because he was the window character with which we experienced Gotham City.”

Grayson is an incredibly athletic hero, meaning the film’s star will need to be extraordinarily nimble for the stunt and martial arts-heavy feature, along with being ready for some psychological stresses:.

“He has to. It has to be a full commitment. Every day. It is going to be gruelling from a martial arts, gymnastics and stunt perspective. Also emotionally taxing. It’s going to be real.”

McKay’s wording indicates no-one has been set for the role yet, and there’s no production timetable presently in place.

4. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Really?

At this rate, Jimmy Olsen will end up getting his own film.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

I am pushing for a Marvel Aunt May film.

Starring Morgan Freeman.

6. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Why not?

From what I can tell, anything goes...

How about including a cameo appearance by Nichelle Nichols as Spidey?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

I thought it was just me that thought Nichelle was the best Spidey that never was!

Shatner's Lara Croft was another casting match made in Heaven that we were deprived of.

8. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Damn!

I was hoping the Shat would be up for the next Bridget Jones film...

Oh well, they'll just have to go with Schwarzenegger. I hope he knows how to keep a diary...

But if they do that, who'll replace Schwarzenegger as Wonder Woman in the sequel?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

William H. Macy as Wonder Woman might work. I think he has that Amazonian poise, if you see what I mean? :emoji_confused:

But the one I am really looking forward to is Karen Gillan in the Rocky remake, one of those rare occasions where I suspect that the "re-imagining" will be far superior to the original.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Put her up against Billie Piper as Clubber Lang and it'll be a winner!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

‘Nightwing’ director explains why the movie wasn’t announced at Comic-Con

Nightwing19.jpg

Nightwing director Chris McKay hasn’t been shy about chatting with fans about his upcoming movie. That’s why some were surprised that Nightwing wasn’t included in the list of movies that Warner Bros. announced at Comic-Con last month. Well, it turns out there’s a good reason for that.

When a fan on Twitter asked McKay director why Nightwing wasn’t part of the Comic-Con presentation, McKay said that great movies take time. In the past, McKay has turned down movies that already had a strict release date. “This isn’t going to be like that,” McKay said. “I want this movie to blow you away. We need time to get it right.”

• Like Like x 1
  12. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

“Nightwing” To Conduct A Wide ‘Dick’ Search

nightwing-to-conduct-a-wide-dick-search-696x464.jpg

Though there have already been some rumors about casting, the director of the upcoming “Nightwing” film says the titular role has not yet been set.

In fact the search for who will play the big screen Dick Grayson is going to be a wide and expansive one with many actors being considered to play the former Batman offsider.

Filmmaker Chris McKay (“The LEGO Batman Movie”), responding to a fan on Twitter whilst prepping “Nightwing,” advised patience and re-iterated that the search will be thorough:

“No one has been cast yet. We are taking our time. We are going to cast a wide net because we need to find the perfect person. We need to get the script right. We need this movie to blow your mind.”

The film is said to heavily explore Grayson’s circus past and will feature lots of practical stunt work, meaning whoever is cast will have to be agile and capable of serious stunt work in much the way trained gymnast and “Spider-Man” actor Tom Holland is.

While the film may not have found its Dick Grayson yet, Brenton Thwaites will be playing the role in the upcoming DC TV series “Titans”.

13. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

So basically, what you're saying is that this film has no dick.

I'd be careful if I were you. Bill Murray might sue...

• Love it! Love it! x 2
  14. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 5
    VIP

I'd so totally watch that movie

• Love it! Love it! x 2
  15. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

“Nightwing” Openly Auditioning Dick Grayson

nightwing-openly-auditioning-dick-grayson-696x464.jpg

“The LEGO Batman Movie” director Chris McKay is currently at work prepping for the solo “Nightwing” movie and now has confirmed on Twitter (via Movieweb) that the studio will be holding an open casting call for the titular role of Batman’s former protege Dick Grayson.

Though a few names have been linked as potential candidates, most notably Finn Wittrock (“The Big Short,” “American Horror Story”) and Dacre Montgomery (“Power Rangers,” “Stranger Things”), McKay has confirmed they haven’t started the casting process yet and now adds the news of this casting call. He also offers advice to those wanting to try out – basically they’re not accepting just any potential Dick that walks in off the street:

“Have an agent or manager submit your work. To the studio. An agent or manager protects you and also is an endorsement of your character. It means you take yourself and your career seriously… and so does someone else. There will be an open casting call but that is like Vegas odds for sure. Don’t leave your career up to chance. Believe in yourself. Bet on yourself. Get an agent or a manager.”

For now the chance of the role of Dick Grayson going to a relative unknown are actually pretty good with McKay previously saying they will search “far and wide” to find the right person for the role. The studio has not locked down a release date for “Nightwing”.

Brenton Thwaites has been cast in the role of Dick Grayson in the upcoming live-action TV series “Titans” which will debut next year.

16. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Nick Jonas Keen To Play “Nightwing”

nick-jonas-keen-to-play-nightwing-696x464.jpg

Quickly building a name for himself in acting circles with strong role choices, singer-turned-actor Nick Jonas has officially thrown his hat into the ring for those casting the titular role of Dick Grayson in the upcoming “Nightwing” movie at Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Comics.

A number of fans have reportedly taken to social media to campaign for the actor to play the role, leading to ComicBook.com asking him about it during the recent “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” junket. He responded:

“That’d be awesome… I would. I’d be super down for this. I didn’t know there was people vying for me to play this role but keep the chatter alive people! If you vote for me, maybe they’ll cast me in it! And then, I don’t know, I’ll thank you all later.”

Jonas would be the second name linked to the role in recent months, with “Power Rangers” and “Stranger Things” actor Dacre Montgomery also having been linked. Filmmaker Chris McKay hasn’t yet started casting on the still in development project which doesn’t yet have a release date.

The project isn’t to be confused with “Titans,” the direct-to-streaming original series based on the “Teen Titans” comics which stars Brenton Thwaites as the Robin version of Dick Grayson.

17. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

I would rather set my scrotum in a set mouse trap. Repeatedly.

18. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 5
    VIP

I would have thought that the role of Nightwing would require some extensive acrobatic skills. I recall hearing that DC considered those skills essential for the role. It's a role that pretty much requires finding an unknown actor with the requisite skills rather than casting a "name" actor.

• Agree Agree x 1