Review Nosferatu (1922)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0.jpg

Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens
(translated as Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror; or simply Nosferatu) is a 1922 German Expressionist horror film, directed by F. W. Murnau, starring Max Schreck as the vampire Count Orlok. The film, shot in 1921 and released in 1922, was an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula (1897). Various names and other details were changed from the novel: for instance, "vampire" became "Nosferatu" and "Count Dracula" became "Count Orlok".

Stoker's heirs sued over the adaptation, and a court ruling ordered that all copies of the film be destroyed. However, a few prints of Nosferatu survived, and the film came to be regarded as an influential masterpiece of cinema.

The film was released in the United States on 3 June 1929, seven years after its original premiere in Germany.

Cast

Reception and legacy

Nosferatu brought Murnau into the public eye, especially since his film Der brennende Acker (The Burning Soil) was released a few days later. The press reported extensively on Nosferatu and its premiere. With the laudatory votes, there was also occasional criticism that the technical perfection and clarity of the images did not fit the horror theme. The Filmkurier of 6 March 1922 said that the vampire appeared too corporeal and brightly lit to appear genuinely scary. Hans Wollenberg described the film in photo-Stage No. 11 of 11 March 1922 as a "sensation" and praised Murnau's nature shots as "mood-creating elements."[18] In the Vossische Zeitung of 7 March 1922, Nosferatu was praised for its visual style.

This was the only Prana Film; the company declared bankruptcy after Stoker's estate, acting for his widow, Florence Stoker, sued for copyright infringement and won. The court ordered all existing prints of Nosferatu burned, but one purported print of the film had already been distributed around the world. This print was duplicated over the years, kept alive by a cult following, making it an example of an early cult film.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

nosferatu.jpg

Anya Taylor-Joy is attached to star in Robert Egger's remake of silent movie 'Nosferatu'.

The 21-year-old actress got her breakout role in psychological thriller 'The Witch' in 2015 and is set to reunite with its director on this upcoming movie to deliver a new take on the cinematic classic.

According to Variety, Taylor-Joy is involved in talks to star in the Studio 8 production, which is being written and directed by Eggers and an idea which was brought to the studio by Jon Silk.

The original 1922 movie was an unofficial adaptation of Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' and Werner Herzog directed a remake back in 1979.

The story follows Count Orlok of Transylvania, who is house-hunting in Germany and falls in love with the estate agent's wife.

It is understood that Taylor-Joy will play the role of the wife but her exact role has not yet been confirmed.

It is also not clear whether 'The Witch's' star Black Phillip will also join the cast of 'Nosferatu', but it's thought he might be too expensive.

The new remake will see Chris Columbus and his eldest daughter Eleanor Columbus produce.

Meanwhile, Eggers is attached to direct 'The Knight' for Studio 8 and Taylor-Joy, who previously starred in M. Night Shyamalan's hit 'Split', is currently filming Josh Boone's X-Men film 'New Mutants' in which she stars as Illya Rasputin opposite 'Game of Thrones Star' Maisie Williams [Wolfsbane].

Taylor-Joy has also signed for 'Split' and 'Unbreakable' sequel 'Glass', which also stars James McAvoy, Bruce Willis, and Samuel L. Jackson.

Doctor Omega

You Can Now Watch 1922's Nosferatu with Sound

Nosferatu: The Non Silent Film reimagines F. W. Murnau's 1922 expressionist nightmare with sound!

nosferatu-non-silent-film_0.jpg

F.W. Murnau’s 1922 silent movie Nosferatu, the unofficial first adaptation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula, is one of the most inspirational horror movies ever made. Besides it’s obvious influence on scary cinema, the German expressionist film also played muse to musical composers. The original soundtrack by composer Hans Erdmann was lost about a century ago. Since then scores of musicians have scored the film, which is now public domain. Getty Images gathered those compositions in their new version of the film Nosferatu: The Non Silent Film.

Nosferatu: The Non Silent Film was put together by AdWeek’s Brazilian arm AlmapBBDO, using Getty’s sound library, which is every bit as impressive as its image library. The new music sampled thousands of Getty audio files. Punch Audio produced the film over three months.

“Premium Access subscription programs offer our creative partners the widest selection of content across imagery, video and audio,” Getty Images’ chief marketing officer Gene Foca said in a statement.

“I can think of few ways to better showcase the wide-ranging capabilities of Getty Images than to transform this classic into a ‘new’ classic, with the help of Getty Images audio.”

Nosferatu starred Max Schreck as Count Orlok, who has communicated nonverbally for over 100 years. Nosferatu: The Non Silent Film gives the characters voice. The filmmakers create a fictional language, using reverse speech files.

Here is the trailer:

The one-and-a-half-hour remake Nosferatu: The Non Silent Film can be watched for free on

duzit

Member: Rank 6
You Can Now Watch 1922's Nosferatu with Sound

Nosferatu: The Non Silent Film reimagines F. W. Murnau's 1922 expressionist nightmare with sound!

View attachment 2987

F.W. Murnau’s 1922 silent movie Nosferatu, the unofficial first adaptation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula, is one of the most inspirational horror movies ever made. Besides it’s obvious influence on scary cinema, the German expressionist film also played muse to musical composers. The original soundtrack by composer Hans Erdmann was lost about a century ago. Since then scores of musicians have scored the film, which is now public domain. Getty Images gathered those compositions in their new version of the film Nosferatu: The Non Silent Film.

Nosferatu: The Non Silent Film was put together by AdWeek’s Brazilian arm AlmapBBDO, using Getty’s sound library, which is every bit as impressive as its image library. The new music sampled thousands of Getty audio files. Punch Audio produced the film over three months.

“Premium Access subscription programs offer our creative partners the widest selection of content across imagery, video and audio,” Getty Images’ chief marketing officer Gene Foca said in a statement.

“I can think of few ways to better showcase the wide-ranging capabilities of Getty Images than to transform this classic into a ‘new’ classic, with the help of Getty Images audio.”

Nosferatu starred Max Schreck as Count Orlok, who has communicated nonverbally for over 100 years. Nosferatu: The Non Silent Film gives the characters voice. The filmmakers create a fictional language, using reverse speech files.

Here is the trailer:

The one-and-a-half-hour remake Nosferatu: The Non Silent Film can be watched for free on

Doc,
It would not play. It sat there saying "loading" with about 6 vertical bars in the middle of the screen. I clicked on the bars & nothing happened. Maybe it's the fault of my underdeveloped tablet. I thought it would be neat to watch...

Doctor Omega

Sadly, I think so Duzit. I have double checked it here and it still plays fine after taking about 15 seconds loading. I think it is a lot of info, so some may find it easier to watch than others.

Doctor Omega

Then there was Shadow of the Vampire in 2000.

This showed the making of Nosferatu, but postulated that Max shreck really was a vampire. :emoji_alien:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
WOW, he was HOT!!!
Really???? The picture of him as a young man immediately brought "Dorian Gray" to my mind....
Or maybe Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. I think he's creepy as all get out! But then, I also did some reading about the making of the original film and as I recall, Max scared the hell out of everybody on the set.... But I suppose you have to factor in the reality that it was a very "superstitious" time in the history of man, what with grave-robbing, disease running rampant that no one could figure out and centuries of "old wives tales" and traditions that had been handed down to "keep people safe" in a world they didn't completely understand.

I will say that I find the thought of a remake as personally offensive as the notion of "remaking" a Van Gogh. There are some things that are just sacrosanct and need to be left as they are. Treated with the respect and reverence they deserve. It was one thing to set the old silent movie "Metropolis" to music (which was both brilliant and a little scary for me because I just wasn't sure how it would land and I love and respect the film itself so much), it's entirely another to "remake" Nosferatu. I would not bet against anyone who said there could be "hell to pay" for actually getting this done... you know, cursed sets and the like! :emoji_scream:

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
it's entirely another to "remake" Nosferatu.
Have you seen Werner Herzog's remake from the 70s? It really plays as a completely different movie, with the creepy atmosphere downplayed, but it's a good movie. I think most of what works in its favor is that it didn't try to copy Murnau's masterpiece, but was more an homage.

That being said, I'm against any other attempts to besmirch this cinematic classic.

Doctor Omega

There was a follow up to the 1979 film, some years later, called Vampire in Venice.....

vampire_venice_2.jpg

Vampire in Venice (Original title: Nosferatu a Venezia), also known as Nosferatu in Venice and Prince of the Night, is a 1988 Italian horror film directed by Augusto Caminito and starring Klaus Kinski, Christopher Plummer, Donald Pleasence and Barbara De Rossi.

Kinski had previously played a vampire in Werner Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre.

Donald Pleasence had previously played Dr. John Seward in Dracula, and Christopher Plummer later went on to play another vampire hunter, Abraham Van Helsing, in the film Dracula 2000.

The film proved unsuccessful at the Italian box-office and received limited release abroad

Synopsis

Professor Paris Catalano goes to Venice to investigate the last known appearance of Nosferatu during the Carnival of 1786. Catalano seems to think that the vampire is searching for a means to put an end to his torment and actually be dead. He stays with a family who, legend says, has the vampire trapped in a tomb in the basement. After a séance "the vampire" appears and then it becomes a question of how do you put the evil back into the box.

Cast
Production

Director-producer Caminito had intended to produce a legitimate sequel to Werner Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre, with Kinski reprising his role.

However the actor refused to shave his head and don his make-up again.

In this film, Kinski sports long blond hair.

The vampire character here is simply called "Nosferatu" (and not Dracula).

Nosferatu is an almighty and indestructible lord of the undead who wishes his immortal life to end but can only die if a virgin woman grants him her love.

Christopher Plummer plays Paris Catalano, an ineffective vampire hunter.

The film had a troubled history, with several directors being fired and leaving the project, while Kinski's behavior on set caused many delays in shooting.

Producer Caminito decided to direct the film himself when director Mario Caiano resigned after being insulted on the set by Kinski.

Kinski claimed in his autobiography, All I Need Is Love, that he ended up directing himself in certain scenes.

Last edited:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Have you seen Werner Herzog's remake from the 70s? It really plays as a completely different movie, with the creepy atmosphere downplayed, but it's a good movie.
I didn't see it and I have no objections to doing an "homage" to any film. You can color me crazy (cause you know you really can) but I still think that Galaxy Quest is one of the best homages to anything that's ever been put on film. They just nailed that one down so tight I can't help but love and admire it, to the degree that I will go watch that with alarmingly more regularity then I do ST!

But to have the arrogance to remake Nosferatu, or to even believe that it should be done at all much less that it even can be done; well, as I said, I find that as offensive as someone saying it's time to remake Van Gogh. Honestly, if someone had enough brass to even make that comment I'm fairly certain that both art lovers and art critics all over the world would burn him or her at the stake for heresy and I'm fairly certain I'd want a front row seat (Remember... Viking here, we've been pillaging the world since before Columbus even found the US... Hell, we were here hundreds of years before he was even born! So of course there is still a teeny weeny, ahem, bit of savagery left in my DNA) it's just heresy of the first order! For the life of me I cannot understand why Hollywhat doesn't get that.... There are films out there that are just as much works of art and just as precious for what they are exactly as they are as any other "great work of art" known to the public. Why doesn't anyone get that? Honestly, their complete and utter disregard for their own history in search of the almighty dollar is almost beyond belief. It demeans almost everything they touch.... especially under circumstances like these.

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And now I think some DancingBs on Hollywhats grave is called for :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
There are films out there that are just as much works of art and just as precious for what they are exactly as they are as any other "great work of art" known to the public.
Back in the IMDb days, I would get in more fights over remakes than about anything else (until the final days, when we were bombarded by Trumpeteer trolls). The biggest arguments for them were always "the effects are dated/updated effects would make it better", "new takes on stories to make them better", and the ever popular (and so intelligent) "the original sucks".

A. If a story is good, it doesn't need to be remade simply because it "can be done". There are so many great movies that have been remade that didn't need an updated retelling, and the remakes always sucked because they lost the original vision of the story. People forget that, like all art, film is a product of its time. Many factors go into that - social environment, political environment, etc. - and shape what the film stands for.
B. Look at the Halloween remake. A new take on that story didn't make it better, it added an unnecessary backstory to a really cool killer (well, really cool until part five or six, then he got silly like all the others).
C. If the original sucks, why are you remaking it? Dumbass!

I'm not against all remakes. I love the remake of Father Of The Bride. I love The Birdcage. I love Ocean's Eleven. But there comes a time when you have to look at a film and say 'Hey, we really can't do any better", and then slap anyone who says otherwise.

Also, Van Gogh. Thank you Doctor Who for making it so I can't look at a Van Gogh painting without crying. Loved him before then, now I love him even more.

Doctor Omega

Confusingly, there seems to have been a remake of Nosferatu in the works in the last few years, funded by Kickstarter campaigns etc.

Doug Jones has been filming it and it is apparently near completion. I don't think that it is in any way connected to this currently announced remake.

The film has it's own facebook page.....

https://www.facebook.com/NosferatuRemix

and Youtube channel.......

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdsSN2AXPEyChgaa8uKFWPg/featured

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdsSN2AXPEyChgaa8uKFWPg/videos

And Doug has released photographs of himself in full make up as Nosferatu.....

nosferatu-jones.jpg

nosferatupic2-750x400.png

This seems to be a - presumably very low-budget - separate production, that appears to have possibly fizzled to a halt this February or so.

I don't think it has anything to do with the currently planned remake at all, as this one seemed to already be cast and filming well underway.

Beyond that, a bit of a mystery. :emoji_confused:

UPDATE: It is a separate project.....

DAVID LEE FISHER/DOUG JONES REMAKE:

A planned "remix" (remake) by director David Lee Fisher, has been in development after being successfully funded on Kickstarter on December 3, 2014.

On April 13, 2016, it was reported that Doug Jones had been cast as Count Orlok in the film and the filming had begun.

The film will use green screen to insert colorized backgrounds from the original film atop live-action, a process Fisher previously used for The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

ROBERT EGGERS REMAKE:

On July 29, 2015, it was reported that a remake of the film would be written and directed by The Witch director Robert Eggers, and produced by Jay Van Noy and Lars Knudsen.

On November 12, 2016, Eggers reaffirmed the film as his next project.

Last edited: