Review Ocean's Eight (2018) June 8th, 2018

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I dunno. It sounds like it has the potential to be good. But knowing it's a spin-off makes me leary. I feel that if they wanted to do an all-female version, they should have done a film that wasn't connected to the others in any way. Now it just feels like they're doing it for diversity, rather than doing a story that would feel fresh. Does that make sense? It's not a sexism thing, because I would like to see more stories done like this. But again, tying the franchises together feels like a stunt for ticket sales.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Maybe it's just me, but that trailer makes it look like an outright remake of the George Clooney version. Don't get me wrong, it looks great and I love the cast, but I can't justify spending money to see a remake. This might have to wait until Netflix for me. It's disappointing that studio executives don't have enough confidence in a female lead movie to separate it from the franchise. As a female lead original heist movie (especially with this cast) it would be a must see.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The female-led heist franchise spin-off “Ocean’s 8” is headed towards a domestic box-office debut in the $35 million or so range according to early tracking figures.

All three previous “Ocean’s” films each opened between $36-39 million on their way to worldwide total hauls each in the $311-451 million range. The new film reportedly cost a relatively economical $70 million to make.
The new film has the benefit of little competition with “Solo” to be in its third week, and the “Jurassic World” sequel not arriving until two weeks later. Its direct competition is the horror “Hereditary” and the action ensemble “Hotel Artemis”