Review STAR COPS: OTHER PEOPLE'S SECRETS - Episode 08

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
feature-image-star-cops.jpg

9501e8de73950c8f22df292eef4f4123.png

Your thoughts on this episode....

Ever increasing glitches and equipment failures around the Moonbase coincide with a safety inspection and lead eventually to a decompression emergency for the base. During the emergency, Nathan Spring and Pal Kenzy are forced to spend time together, as does Colin Devis with his psychologist ex-wife.

On to the next episode....

DEATH ON THE MOON

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/death-on-the-moon-episode-9.3545/

Back to the previous episode....

A DOUBLE LIFE

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/a-double-life-episode-7.3528/

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Due to ill health this was Erik Ray Evans last outing as Theroux, and possibly the best episode for the character.
The banter with Hooper was entertaining.
Nice to see Catweazle in this sans long hair and whiskers.
Woolfheart's motivation for the sabotage is interesting, the underlying implication in this story is that working in this environment drives you nuts.
The real thrust of this though is Nathan confessing about his father, and to whom he's confessing to. Definitely something cooking there as Kenzy would say.
Devis and his wife was a laugh, or ex wife number four to be precise.
" your computer has a therapy programme"
" yeh, but it doesn't have tits"
Class!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, I like this one. A nice plot with the sabotage and the subplot with Devis and his ex-wife.

I am really starting to appreciate STAR COPS more, now that I know the episodes and background of the show a lot better. I think it will be revived one day, in some shape or form, whereas before I would not have believed it worthy of a revival. Now I think it deserves one, but Big Finish is probably the best option, with most of the original cast members. A reboot with a new cast and all the bells and whistles of modern television would most likely be a disaster to a fan of the original.

Last edited:

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Aired Monday 8:00 PM Aug 24, 1987 on BBC Two

The stress of deep space seems to be taking its toll at last...

CAST

David Calder ... Nathan Spring
Erick Ray Evans ... David Theroux
Linda Newton ... Pal Kenzy
Trevor Cooper ... Colin Devis
Jonathan Adams ... Alexander Krivenko
Sayo Inaba ... Anna Shoun
Geoffrey Bayldon ... Ernest Wolfhartt
Maggie Ollerenshaw ... Dr. Angela Parr
Barrie Rutter ... Hooper
Leigh Funnell ... Beverley Anderson

WRITTEN BY

Chris Boucher ... (series deviser)
John Collee ... (written by)

BAKED BY

Christopher Baker

Last edited by a moderator:

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
Someone mentioned last week that this episode would be a “bottle episode”, meaning mostly familiar locations and only a few other characters – and that was pretty much true. There wasn’t really much of a case. Someone was sabotaging the machines at the base. Hooper was a suspect, but why would he sabotage himself and then complain about having to fix everything? His assistant Beverly had no motive; she had already complained about him harassing her and wanted to quit. So the only other person was the safety inspector Ernest Wolffhart. That was an easy one. As Maxwell Smart once put it, “It had to be him – based on three things: instinct, motive, and a lack of other suspects.”

So with little emphasis on the case, there was a little more background about the main characters revealed, by using the device of having a psychiatrist Dr. Angela Carr come to interview them. She also turned out to be one of the ex-wives of Colin Devis (which I suspected the moment he heard her name and then fled the scene.)

The most revealing character moment came when Nathan admitted to Kenzy that he had worked a case involving his father’s company only to find his father was the culprit behind it. Ironically, it was after he had tried to drag Pal over to the see the shrink and they got trapped together when an explosion breached the air supply. I was expecting Kenzy to be the one to reveal something but Nathan did instead. I think all Pal admitted to was that she’d had some bad run-ins with psychiatrists in her youth. I did like her line earlier about what she didn’t like about working on the moon – literally miles and miles of nothing outside, but we’re stuck in sardine cans.

Colin ends up stranded with his ex-wife during the crisis and eventually persuades her to have sex with him. She is pricelessly flummoxed later on as to how he managed to pull it off and how she managed to fall for it. Best exchange between them:
Angela: I’m scared.
Colin: Let’s cuddle then.
Angela: I’m not that scared.

Also enjoyed the scene where Krivenko takes Wolffhart out in the moon buggy to look at Earth from the lunar surface. That would be quite a sight, I’m sure. Ernest reflects on the boredom of his job and Alex talks about how insignificant we are – with countless galaxies out there but we’ve never left this one. I was annoyed when that dialogue was turned against him by Dr. Parr, commenting on how that meant he thought everything was futile. I agreed with his defense that this was a statement made in confidence to a friend to help cheer him up. It didn’t work of course; Wolffhart went on to sabotage this on the base just to shake things up, although he never meant to cause an explosion like he ended up doing. He was just plain clumsy.

Hooper managed to fix everything with Beverley’s help, but in the end he never acknowledged her efforts and despite her trying to be nice to him just huffed that he liked to do things by himself. Some people will just always be jerks.

In the last scene, Nathan asks Kenzy not to say anything about what he told her. She assures him she won’t now that they’re getting along well. He tells her that sounded a little like her old blackmail tone, but she laughs, “Now would I really do that to you?” They then walk off by separate corridors. He thinks about it for a few moments and then pops his head back out thinking, “Would she???” Unfortunately, someone apparently thought that wasn’t good enough and they dubbed her saying “Would I?” loudly before he pops his head back out. But it made no real sense for her to say that and just kind of ruined the punchline by being added in. That’s my take on it anyway.

Anna gets a bit short-changed with the episode. Earlier she asks Colin what he feels like doing and he says he wants to play “hide the sausage.” That kind of line could get you fired for sexual harassment these days, but she just takes it in stride and it’s obviously she would never report a colleague. Later one, Dr. Parr does ask her about her feelings about having to shoot a man last week, but it’s never really explored. It’s just an excuse for her to mention Colin’s name so that Angela can look bug-eyed when she realizes he’s there.

It’s a different kind of episode, but the characters are interesting enough to make it work. I’ll give this one 7 rivet drivers, which you can politely show to your assistant when she gives you a screwdriver by mistake, but you should not then fire a rivet right near her to demonstrate. That’s just being a jerk.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
I agree with Brimfin, this worked because the characters are well known to us now, and are interesting enough to care about.
Nathan's tale about his father was moving, and Colin and his ex provided some fun moments. I can vouch for the fact that guys like Hooper do exist, I saw a few of them in my workplace for thirty odd years. My only complaint about this episode is that Wolfhartt seems to have got away with his actions, maybe everyone agreed with Colin that he was "bloody bonkers" and were prepared to leave it at that.
Hope this doesn't count as a spoiler, but we said goodbye to Theroux here. The actor was taken ill and didn't appear in the next episode, our last.
Of all the characters I thought he was the weakest, but nevertheless sorry that Theroux isn't in the audio revival of the show as Eric Ray Evans died.
Finally I thought Krivenko and Wolfhartt alone in a moon buggy contemplating the futility of life was a gem of a scene particularly the line;
" it couldn't happen to me" ( coffee spilt on trousers),
" I only drink tea"
7/10

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
A character development story this week and as Brimfin says a "bottle episode". I tend to like that type of story especially when they come early in a locations (like the TARDIS in "Edge of Destruction") or characters life (many Star Trek episodes).
Often you pair up the most dissimilar characters or ones with little prior contact and by the end of the episode they have gained a little more respect for each other.
The plot in the background of Wolfhartt the saboteur is slim his motive seeming to be he is bored.
I thought at first he was blown out or killed outright by the explosion.

My only complaint about this episode is that Wolfhartt seems to have got away with his actions, maybe everyone agreed with Colin that he was "bloody bonkers" and were prepared to leave it at that.
Yes this did seem very odd. I assume he will be arrested for his actions and maybe his drive with Alex is one last favour before facing the music.
It never is really explained why he shares Alex's musings with Dr Parr. Maybe it is part of his irrational behaviour but it just seemed two faced.

We see I think for this first time 2 other extra StarCops during the opening scene so I guess its not a 3 man 2 woman show.

Devis does get most of the best lines. Most have been picked out but I do enjoy the blunt:
Dr Parr - "Your personal computer has a psychotherapy program"
Devis - "Yeah, but it doesn't have tits"

The decompression scenes are exciting. I do find it had to believe this base wouldn't have massive redundancies. It seems one explosion and several separate sections lose oxygen supply. No backups, no access to space suits, you are just trapped awaiting rescue with time rapidly running out.

I can't really think of much more to say about this episode. Most of my other thoughts have been well covered by Brimfin and Michaellevenson.

6 scalded body parts I also will avoid only drinking tea, out of 10.

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
I have to tell you a secret, but it's one of mine: I was avoiding this one, and for a good reason. A bottle episode in such a low-budget and action-challenged show was certainly going to be a drag. Now, reading some of the comments I see that I may have originally overlooked some of the positive aspects, like the decompression scene but still we this week, we were "rewarded" with a good dose of daytime melodrama disguised as character development. Essentially, the story could've happened anywhere, even in space, in the first part, and in the second if you manage to think of some emergency situation to play the dramatic role of the decompression incident. They could be in a submarine or in a mine running out of oxygen, or stuck in a bank vault. Thats the "beauty" of soap operas: the location doesn't matter.

And I had read that Chris Boucher hated the Anna Shoun character, so much so as to write her off in subsequent radio dramatizations. Well, that shows, because such a fascinating and compelling character we were originally introduced to has been reduced to scenery.

I was going to give this one a 3, but Nathan's confession about his father, especially the way it was told, was a rare bright spot in the sheer dark boredom that was this installment. I just hope the farewell chapter leaves us with a better impression.

"Other People's Secrets" gets 4 ex-wives that come with a job to do, but chose to forget all about it and that turns out to be just a thinly veiled macguffin.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I really enjoyed this one. The "mystery" of the week was basically insignificant. Just enough to ensure the characters were trapped and given time to reveal more about them. Its good to see the characters continue to develop, although I agree with @Brimfin that Anna was shortchanged in this episode - disappointing since I really enjoyed her snide comments in the last episode. It was great to find out more about Nathan's and Colin's respective pasts. Initially I thought it rather unlikely that he'd have been married to a woman like Angela, but as they spent some time together you can see how there might have been some attraction in the past. Colin's not a good looking man but take off a few years and a few kilograms and you can see how his humour and personality could work to build a relationship.

My only complaint about this episode is that Wolfhartt seems to have got away with his actions, maybe everyone agreed with Colin that he was "bloody bonkers" and were prepared to leave it at that.
Yeah that was surprising. I imagine that his little excursion with Krivenko at the end was just a final friendship thing and that he was waiting to be sent back to Earth, but that wasn't made clear in the episode.

Later one, Dr. Parr does ask her about her feelings about having to shoot a man last week, but it’s never really explored.
I was disappointed that wasn't explored more. They made such a point of her Buddhism making killing difficult for her and then it seems to have just been forgotten about.

Overall an enjoyable episode. 8 out of 10.