Review Outlaw King (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
vffdvf.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

A true David v Goliath story of how the great 14th Century Scottish 'Outlaw King' Robert The Bruce used cunning and bravery to defeat and repel the much larger and better equipped occupying English army.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

robertthebruce3.jpg

Robert I (11 July 1274 – 7 June 1329), popularly known as Robert the Bruce (Medieval Gaelic: Roibert a Briuis; modern Scottish Gaelic: Raibeart Bruis; Norman French: Robert de Brus or Robert de Bruys; Early Scots: Robert Brus; Latin: Robertus Brussius), was King of Scots from 1306 until his death in 1329.

Robert was one of the most famous warriors of his generation, and eventually led Scotland during the First War of Scottish Independence against England.

He fought successfully during his reign to regain Scotland's place as an independent country and is today revered in Scotland as a national hero.

Descended from the Anglo-Norman and Gaelic nobilities, his paternal fourth-great grandfather was King David I. Robert's grandfather, Robert de Brus, 5th Lord of Annandale, was one of the claimants to the Scottish throne during the "Great Cause". As Earl of Carrick, Robert the Bruce supported his family's claim to the Scottish throne and took part in William Wallace's revolt against Edward I of England.

Appointed in 1298 as a Guardian of Scotland alongside his chief rival for the throne, John Comyn, Lord of Badenoch, and William Lamberton, Bishop of St Andrews, Robert later resigned in 1300 due to his quarrels with Comyn and the apparently imminent restoration of King John Balliol.

After submitting to Edward I in 1302 and returning to "the king's peace", Robert inherited his family's claim to the Scottish throne upon his father's death.

In February 1306, Robert the Bruce killed Comyn following an argument, and was excommunicated by the Pope (although he received absolution from Robert Wishart, Bishop of Glasgow).

Bruce moved quickly to seize the throne and was crowned king of Scots on 25 March 1306.

Edward I's forces defeated Robert in battle, forcing him to flee into hiding in the Hebrides and Ireland before returning in 1307 to defeat an English army at Loudoun Hill and wage a highly successful guerrilla war against the English.

Bruce defeated his other Scots enemies, destroying their strongholds and devastating their lands, and in 1309 held his first parliament.

A series of military victories between 1310 and 1314 won him control of much of Scotland, and at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, Robert defeated a much larger English army under Edward II of England, confirming the re-establishment of an independent Scottish kingdom.

The battle marked a significant turning point, with Robert's armies now free to launch devastating raids throughout northern England, while also extending his war against the English to Ireland by sending an army to invade there and by appealing to the native Irish to rise against Edward II's rule.

Despite Bannockburn and the capture of the final English stronghold at Berwick in 1318, Edward II refused to renounce his claim to the overlordship of Scotland.

In 1320, the Scottish nobility submitted the Declaration of Arbroath to Pope John XXII, declaring Robert as their rightful monarch and asserting Scotland's status as an independent kingdom.

In 1324, the Pope recognised Robert I as king of an independent Scotland, and in 1326, the Franco-Scottish alliance was renewed in the Treaty of Corbeil.

In 1327, the English deposed Edward II in favour of his son, Edward III, and peace was concluded between Scotland and England with the Treaty of Edinburgh-Northampton, by which Edward III renounced all claims to sovereignty over Scotland.

Robert I died in June 1329.

His body is buried in Dunfermline Abbey, while his heart was interred in Melrose Abbey.

Doctor Omega

Outlaw King
Netflix has released a new photo of Chris Pine as medieval Scottish king, Robert the Bruce, in the Netflix historical drama “Outlaw King”. David Mackenzie (“Hell or High Water”) helms the film which is set around the events of the First War for Scottish Independence which took place during 1298-1306. Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Florence Pugh and Stephen Dillane co-star in the film which will be released on Netflix worldwide on November 9th.

quick-news-outlaw-edna-mortal-hbo-dark-tonto-696x464.jpg

Doctor Omega

Chris Pine Talks “Star Trek 4” & Frontal Nudity

chris-pine-talks-star-trek-4-frontal-nudity-696x464.jpg

In the great debate over which of the four Hollywood Chrises is the best, actor Chris Pine has taken the lead in the argument by doing something none of the others has yet done. Yes, he’s hauled out the biggest gun there is – his penis.

Pine has re-teamed with “Hell or High Water” David MacKenzie for Netflix’s Robert the Bruce biopic “Outlaw King” which just screened at the Toronto Film Festival. Reviews for the film have been mixed, quite a bit of it has been praised but the overall film has also been criticised for its editing, script, some acting choices and repetitive battles. Pine himself has fared the best out of the criticism with complaints mostly limited to his Scottish accent slipping every now and then.

But the film has become secondary to reports that Pine goes full frontal in the film, and not a short ‘blink and you’ll miss it’ appearance either but a full on 15-second exposure which will no doubt be one of the most paused, replayed and screen captured bits of footage Netflix will put out in 2018. Social media has exploded with the news, to the point that Pine was asked about the reaction on THR to which he said:

“What I find very funny is there’s so much beheading in [‘Outlaw King’] and yet, people want to talk about my penis. I think it says something about our society where people get disemboweled but it’s the man’s junk that is of interest.”

Indeed it does, but social media remains awash with thirst comments and Pine-wood jokes, and it is getting people talking about the film which comes to Netflix on November 9th. Will the other three Chrises follow suit? Your move Hemsworth.

Onto more serious matters, Pine also spoke about his potential involvement in the next “Star Trek” film. The project is said to be on hold at last report as contract negotiations with both Pine and Chris Hemsworth have stalled over salary with the likelihood that Pine could forego the next entry.

Speaking to Variety, Pine was asked if he’d like to be a part of the film to which he replied: “I don’t know. I mean, I’d love to be involved. We’ll see what happens. You know, I’ll await the phone call. Until then, I look forward to it.”

At last report SJ Clarkson will helm the new film which hasn’t yet set a production or release date.

Doctor Omega

“Outlaw King” Cut But Pine’s Manhood Intact

outlaw-king-cut-but-pines-manhood-intact-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker David Mackenzie (“Hell or High Water,” “Starred Up”) has announced that following its opening night premiere at the Toronto Film Festival, he’s set to cut a full twenty minutes from his new film “Outlaw King” before its next outing at the London Film Festival on October 17th.

Chris Pine stars in this biopic of Scottish King Robert the Bruce and effectively follows the events that happen after the death of William Wallace (of “Braveheart” fame). Robert went from being the wealthiest man in the Highlands to being a murderer to being made King to being an outlaw to slowly winning back the crown.

Set from 1304-1307, the film shows when Robert squared off with Edward I, the English sovereign, and unified a splintered Scotland. Mackenzie rushed to get the film finished in time for Toronto, the cut finished just two days before the premiere. The result was critics were mixed on the film, slamming repetitive battle scenes and poor pacing with its extended 137-minute runtime.

Mackenzie, however, tells Deadline it was the in cinema response that led to his decision: “I could feel what the audience was like in the theater. I’m sensitive to the way they felt.” Three days later he was back in the editing bay and while he won’t say what is being cut, he does say “some complete sequences” that don’t impact the story in both the first and third acts are likely out. He also says the edits, which now bring the movie down to a 117 runtime, are “entirely my decision”.

Mackenzie also talked about Chris Pine’s full frontal nude scene which remains in the final edit. The scene in question remains the most talked about element of the film, and it’s familiar territory for Mackenzie who got Ewan McGregor and Jack O’Connell to go fully nude for long sequences in his previous films: “I can’t understand why people get worked about that, I made ten films and most of them had male frontal nudity; it’s a bathing scene and people do tend to get out of the bath without clothes.”

No word as yet if the scene is historically accurate in terms of foreskin (or if possible digital foreskin was added), but Pine himself seems proud that it’s drawing so much attention – telling ET Online that it’s: “pretty cool”. Mackenzie adds that the initial cut of the film was around four hours.

“Outlaw King” is set for an awards run in select cinemas on November 9th along with hitting the streaming service on the same day.