Review Overboard (2018) April 13th

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
overboard-1987-original-uk-qua-811-1.jpg

Overboard is a 1987 American romantic comedy film directed by Garry Marshall, written by Leslie Dixon, and starring Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell and produced by Roddy McDowall (who costars).

The film's soundtrack was composed by Alan Silvestri.

In turn, it was adapted into the 2006 South Korean television series, Couple or Trouble.

Cast

The film received a mixed reception from critics.

Based on 24 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, half of the critics enjoyed it, with an average rating of 5.2/10.[3]

Variety praised Hawn's performance, but called it "an uninspiring, unsophisticated attempt at an updated screwball comedy that is brought down by plodding script and a handful of too broadly drawn characters."

Rita Kempley of The Washington Post called it "a deeply banal farce" with "one-dimensional characters, a good long look at her buttocks and lots of pathetic sex jokes."[

Roger Ebert liked it; while calling it predictable, he wrote: "the things that make it special, however, are the genuine charm, wit and warm energy generated by the entire cast and director Garry Marshall."

The Los Angeles Times' review of it read: "The film tries to mix the two 1930s movie comedy strains: screwball romance and populist fable. But there's something nerveless and thin about it. Hawn and Russell are good, but their scenes together have a calculated spontaneity—overcute, obvious."

The film has gone on to become a cult classic.

A remake is now in production.......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/overboard-remake-in-pre-production.2642/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

a-place-by-the-sea.jpg

Overboard
Eva Longoria has joined the cast of the remake of Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell comedy classic “Overboard” at MGM. Rob Greenberg and Bob Fisher are helming, with filming to begin shortly in Vancouver.

Eugenio Derbez plays a spoiled playboy from one of Mexico’s wealthiest families who falls overboard off his yacht. He’s then convinced by a single, working-class mom (Anna Faris) that he’s her husband.

The original movie can be found here.....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/overboard-1987.2641/

Doctor Omega

Overboard

Lionsgate has now set an April 20th 2018 release for its remake of the Kurt Russell-Goldie Hawn romantic comedy “Overboard” starring Anna Faris and Eugenio Derbez.

The story now focuses on a spoiled playboy from one of Mexico’s wealthiest families who falls overboard off his yacht. He’s then convinced by Faris’ single, working-class mother that he is her husband.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
A movie where a woman is being manipulated into being a good housewife who knows her place.

Can't, for the life of me, imagine why they've switched the genders.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
A movie where a woman is being manipulated into being a good housewife who knows her place.

Can't, for the life of me, imagine why they've switched the genders.
Even with the gender switch I can't see this working in this day and age.

Sunflower007

Member: Rank 3
:emoji_purple_heart:~ I luv Overboard. I never get tired of watching it. Whenever I see it on any channel I always see it. :emoji_grinning: My co-worker & friend told me that they heard a rumor of a possible remake of Overboard. I told them that I hope its just a silly rumor b/c it would be dumb & pointless to remake a classic. :emoji_neutral_face:

*~:emoji_eyes:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Your hair is winter fire

January embers
My heart burns there, too.

By: Stephen King, IT