Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Del Toro Talks “Pacific Rim: Uprising” Changeup

For a while, filmmaker Guillermo del Toro was all set to helm the sequel to his own 2013 Jaegers vs. Kaijus sci-fi movie “Pacific Rim”. Then del Toro bowed out of directing to work on other projects with “Daredevil” and “Spartacus” showrunner Steven S. DeKnight taking over the helm.

“Pacific Rim: Uprising” as its now called recently wrapped its filming and is on track for release early next year. del Toro meanwhile has tackled his own work titled “The Shape of Water” which opens later this year. del Toro remains very much onboard as a producer on the ‘Rim’ sequel and recently spoke with Collider about the reasons for his departure from the director’s chair on that film:

“The timing started to suck. I had this little movie that I wanted to do, The Shape of Water, very, very much. At one point it was [between] Justice League Dark or Pacific Rim, I said, ‘Let’s go to Pacific Rim.’ The reality is they said, ‘We’re gonna need to postpone,’ because they were changing hands – Legendary was going to be sold to China, to a Chinese company [the Wanda Group]. They said, ‘We’ve gotta wait nine months’ and I said, ‘I’m not waiting nine months, I’m shooting a movie,’ and I went and shot [The Shape of Water] and we chose Steven DeKnight.”

del Toro admits the sequel turned out to be different from the one he developed, but he’s completely accepting of the changes:

“It’s going great. I see dailies every day, I see early cuts, I see teasers. They’re doing great. It lets him have his style, lets him have his notion of the characters. I wrote a screenplay, developed two or three drafts of that screenplay – this is different than what I developed, and I’m OK. A producer is in the corner, the director is in the ring. The producer’s not getting the punches, the director is, so shut up, wait in the corner, refresh the towel and wait for the director to come to you.”

“Pacific Rim: Uprising” opens in cinemas on February 23rd next year.

Doctor Omega

Hunnam On Departing “Pacific Rim” Sequel

Several key faces from 2013’s “Pacific Rim” aren’t returning for the sequel, most notably Charlie Hunnam’s lead character of Raleigh Beckett.

Speaking this week, Hunnam confirms that the reason he couldn’t be a part of the recently wrapped “Pacific Rim: Uprising” is because the project went from stalling to moving forward at such an unexpectedly fast pace that he hit a scheduling conflict with a dream project he was in – a remake of “Papillion”:

“There was a huge scheduling conflict. I was already really, really invested in doing Papillion. What happened was Legendary was sold to Wanda, which is the big Chinese corporation, and Pacific Rim, although it underperformed in other territories in the world, was an enormous success in China.

All of a sudden, it became their primary focus to make this and they wanted to do it very, very rapidly… I think their schedule subsequently changed, and I might have been able to do both, but at that time, they were writing the script and they needed to know, was I in or was I out?

I have great relationships with everyone at Legendary, and they were incredibly generous to me and let me out of my contract. I had to do the film whether I liked it or not. When I spoke to (former Legendary chairman) Thomas Tull, who is a dear friend of mine, I said, ‘Listen, man. It’s not that my heart is not in this. I’m invested in this creatively, but my heart’s going to be broken because I already was going to do this other film.’

He was like, ‘Dude, you were going to do that other film and that’s where your heart is. I don’t want you being on set if you’re not going to be happy, so go do the other film,’ which was ludicrously generous of him. But that’s just the type of man he is.”

The sale of Legendary Entertainment took place in January last year with the announcement of “Pacific Rim 2” a month later and shooting getting underway at the end of the year. While both Hunnam and Idris Elba won’t be returning, actors Burn Gorman, Charlie Day, and Rinko Kikuchi are involved in the follow-up which will open early 2018.

Doctor Omega

Ron Perlman Will Not Return in Pacific Rim 2

NEv1OyRU3YYXzE_1_b.jpg

Fans of Guillermo Del Toro's giant robot monster movie Pacific Rim finally have a sequel to look forward to next year, which is the good news. The bad news is, yet another cast member from the original movie has confirmed that he will not be coming back. Over the weekend, Ron Perlman confirmed that his character Hannibal Chau will not be in Pacific Rim 2.

The actor, who very regularly works with Guillermo Del Toro, recently made an appearance at Motor City Comic Con. During a panel he spoke at, the subject of his possible return in Pacific Rim 2, officially titled Pacific Rim: Uprising, came up. As reported by Dread Central, Ron Perlman reportedly said that he won't be in the movie. Here's what the report had to say about it.

"Also during the panel, Perlman confirmed that he does not reprise his role as Hannibal Chau in Pacific Rim 2."

Hannibal Chau was a reasonably key figure in the first Pacific Rim, a character that was obsessed with the Kaiju and ultimately helped bring the movie to its climax, while providing some necessary exposition. Also, because it was Ron Perlman, the character was quite entertaining. Sadly, he, along with Charlie Hunnam and Idris Elba, will not be back for Pacific Rim: Uprising. That means that the sequel will be relying heavily on new characters. Though, there will be a few familiar faces in the form of Charlie Day as Newton and Burn Gorman as Hermann. While not an actual human character, we also know that the Jaeger Gypsy Danger will be returning for the sequel as well.

Guillermo Del Toro made a point to include a brief post-credit scene in Pacific Rim that showed Hannibal Chau escaping from the kaiju that ate him, seemingly setting him up for a return. Since we don't have any official plot details for Pacific Rim: Uprising yet, it is hard to say exactly why he won't be coming back. It is possible that director Steven S. DeKnight made the decision not to bring him in. It seems more likely that if Del Toro had wound up directing that Perlman would have come back, since the two love to work with one another. It could also have been a scheduling issue. In any case, Hannibal Chau won't be back, unless Pacific Rim 3 winds up happening. At which point, he could make his return.

Pacific Rim 2 was in doubt for a couple of years following the release of the first movie, mostly because the movie wasn't quite the box office hit that the studio was expecting. Pacific Rim made $411 million worldwide, which sounds pretty good on paper. But when the $190 million production budget is factored in, that isn't a great return. Still, Pacific Rim: Uprising ultimately got the green light, just without many of the characters that made the first movie what it was. But let's be honest, we're in it for the giant robots fighting giant monsters.

Doctor Omega

“Pacific Rim Uprising” Delayed A Month

pacific-rim-uprising-delayed-a-month-696x464.jpg

Universal Pictures has moved “Pacific Rim: Uprising” to the new release date of March 23rd 2018 – a month later than originally planned.

Steven S. DeKnight directs and John Boyega stars in the follow-up to Guillermo del Toro’s 2013 film. Boyega plays the son of Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba) as part of a group of Jaeger pilots who use their giant robots to protect humanity from giant monsters called Kaiju.

Boyega, out doing press for “Detroit,” tells EW that it’s “a fun movie. It’s there to entertain. It’s larger than life… We’ve got a spectacle and [Guillermo] Del Toro’s influence is still there.”

Doctor Omega

PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING RELEASE DATE HAS BEEN PUSHED BACK AGAIN
Pacific Rim: Uprising has been pushed back a month

Some troubling news is afoot: Pacific Rim: Uprising‘s release date has been pushed back again. The sequel, which is directed by Steven S DeKnight, is moving from 23 February 2018 to 23 March 2018.

The reason for the move isn’t clear, but whatever the cause we’re super ticked at it for making us wait another month. Seriously, we’ve already waited four years for it. What’s the holdup?

The change also means that Pacific Rim: Uprising will be going head to head with Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One, which is set to come out a week later on 30 March. Interesting move.

Pacific Rim: Uprising stars John Boyega, Scott Eastwood, Cailee Spaeny, Jing Tian, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day and Burn Gorman. DeKnight, Emily Carmichael, Kira Snyder and TS Nowlin wrote the screenplay and Guillermo del Toro, Jon Jashni, Femi Oguns, Mary Parent and Thomas Tull are serving as producers.

The film takes place around a decade after the original Pacific Rim, set in a near future version of Earth at war with the Kaiju, and revolves around Boyega’s character Jake Pentecost, the son of Idris Elba’s Stacker Pentecost, who died in the first film.

Pacific Rim: Uprising is in cinemas from 23 March 2018

Doctor Omega

quick-news-nycc-quiet-green-mad-kong-696x464.jpg

New York Comic Con

The proper teaser trailer for “Pacific Rim: Uprising” is set to debut Friday, October 6th at the New York Comic Con where special video presentations for Hulu’s Stephen King-verse series “Castle Rock” and a first look at the second season of “The X-Files” revival will also take place.

Much of the footage shown is expected to be officially released online shortly after.

Doctor Omega

First Posters: “Pacific Rim: Uprising”

first-poster-pacific-rim-uprisiing-696x464.jpg

Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures have premiered the first posters for “Pacific Rim Uprising” which has its stars John Boyega and Scott Eastwood along with two Jaegers front and center.

https://imgur.com/a/luKsT#SstzLOz

Set a decade after The Battle of the Breach, the oceans are still but restless. Vindicated by the victory, the Jaeger program has evolved into the most powerful global defense force in human history.

The PPDC now calls upon the best and brightest to rise up and become the next generation of heroes. When the Kaiju threat returns, we will be ready.

The film’s first full trailer arrives next week following its first airing at New York Comic Con. ‘Uprising’ opens March 23rd.

Doctor Omega

New “Pacific Rim” Launches A Cinematic Universe

new-pacific-rim-launches-a-cinematic-universe-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Steven S. DeKnight has revealed that the upcoming “Pacific Rim: Uprising,” which he directed, not only serves as a sequel to the 2013 original but is also a launchpad for a cinematic universe.

Appearing at New York Comic Con over the weekend, he says the plan is to expand the robots vs. kaiju story into a major transmedia franchise. He tells Nerdist:

“I’m certainly hoping so. I think you’ll definitely probably get more comics. The plan was always to use this movie as a launching pad. If enough people show up to this, we’ve already talked about the plot of the third movie, and how the end of the third movie would expand the universe to a Star Wars/Star Trek-style [franchise] where you can go in many, many different directions. You can go main canon, you can go spin-offs, you can go one-offs. Yeah, that’s the plan. And I would love to see an animated TV show based on this.”

The Guillermo del Toro-directed first “Pacific Rim” barely scored $100 million domestically, but did well enough internationally to justify a follow-up. “Pacific Rim Uprising,” starring John Boyega and Scott Eastwood, opens in cinemas on February 23rd.

Doctor Omega

Marvel Universe...

DC Universe...

Sony Spidey-ish Universe...

Universal Dark Universe...

Monster-verse (Kong/Godzilla, etc.)...

The Star Wars Universe expanding rapidly - and almost certainly at the cost of quantitiy over quality?

Proposed James Bond Universe...

Plus some I have undoubtedly missed....

Now this.....

Whatever next? :emoji_confused:

Doctor Omega

“Pacific Rim,” “Godzilla” “Kong” To Crossover?

pacific-rim-godzilla-kong-to-crossover-696x464.jpg

Cinematic universes are all the rage right now, even if the critical response hasn’t been a bit of a mixed bag. A while back, Legendary Pictures announced their plans for a MonsterVerse which would see the 2014 “Godzilla” reboot lead off four interconnected films that also includes this year’s “Kong: Skull Island,” the recently wrapped “Godzilla” sequel in 2019, and finally a “Godzilla vs. Kong” film in 2020.

In a not unexpected twist, it looks like the MonsterVerse could one day tie into the “Pacific Rim” series should director Steven S. DeKnight gets his wish. DeKnight, who helms next year’s kaiju vs. robots sequel “Pacific Rim: Uprising,” spoke with Colliderand says there have been talks:

“I won’t say there’s an Easter Egg but there’s been a lot of discussion about that possibility [of crossing over]. Look I think it would be fantastic to have the Pacific Rim universe join Legendary’s Monster Universe, it seems like a natural step. And part of the big overall plan after the third movie we’ve talked about is that could happen, it’s always a possibility. It’s by far not a certainty; it’s merely theoretical at this point, but as a fan myself I would love to see that happen.”

Could that be a fifth film in this saga? Possibly. DeKnight certainly wants to make more films set in the “Pacific Rim” universe and says of the upcoming sequel:

“Oh we definitely leave it open to another installment. The tricky thing with something like this is you want to not end on a cliffhanger. It has a definitive ending but very much open to the next chapter.”

“Pacific Rim Uprising” opens in cinemas on March 23rd 2018.