News Paddington 3: IN DEVELOPMENT

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Paddington 3” May Lose Director Paul King

paddington-3-may-lose-director-paul-king-696x464.jpg

Two films in and “Paddington,” the CG animated film franchise based on the Paddington the Bear books, has become one of the most unlikely great film franchises. Earlier this year, “Paddington 2” became the best-reviewed movie in the history of Rotten Tomatoes and still holds that title with a 100% fresh rating.

StudioCanal purchased the rights to the “Paddington” brand in 2016 and explained that they were interested in producing a third film, and now producer David Heyman confirms to Collider that it is indeed on the way but sadly will lose one of its key talents – director and co-writer Paul King:

“I don’t think Paul King will direct the third. He did the first two – he and I are working on another project together… He’s very special, Paul. We’re developing a third Paddington. We haven’t got a script yet, we’ve got a treatment which we’re still working on.”

King is currently working on a Willy Wonka origin movie at Warners and a live-action “Pinocchio” film at Disney movie at Disney. Heyman, however, says that King hasn’t given up on the series:

“Paul is involved in it, I wanted him to be involved in it because I think he’s such a significant voice, but I don’t think he’ll direct it. He worked on the idea… he comes up with the idea with Simon Farnaby and Mark Burton and then they develop it and come back for more, back and forth, and then it’ll get written and Paul will come in and stir it up a little bit.”

Farnaby co-wrote “Paddington 2” with King while Burton penned “Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit” and “Shaun the Sheep Movie”. Heyman adds that though the film is “a fun idea,” no-one involved is interested in making another sequel if it’s not going to be good.