Review Patty Hearst (1988)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Logan” Director To Helm Patty Hearst Film

logan-director-to-helm-patty-hearst-film-696x464.jpg

“Logan” director James Mangold has set his follow-up feature, a film at Fox 2000 about heiress Patty Hearst and her kidnapping by the Symbionese Liberation Army along with her subsequent conversion into a member of the left-wing terrorist group.

Larry Karaszewski & Scott Alexander and Mangold are penning the still untitled project which will be based on Jeffrey Toobin’s best-selling novel “American Heiress”

Elle Fanning is in talks to play Hearst, the Berkeley sophomore turned unlikely counter-culture revolutionary and the most frequently cited example of Stockholm Syndrome.

Mangold, Nina Jacobsen and Brad Simpson will produce the film which is expected to take priority over other movies Mangold has been linked to including “The Force” and “Crenshaw”.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Fox Scraps Mangold’s Patty Hearst Film

fox-scraps-mangolds-patty-hearst-film-696x464.jpg

20th Century Fox is not moving ahead with its biopic about heiress Patty Hearst and her kidnapping by the Symbionese Liberation Army at 19. The project was to have been directed by “Logan” helmer James Mangold.

In a statement issued late Thursday, the studio said: “Twentieth Century Fox Film and its production partners have decided to cancel the studio’s planned project based on the book American Heiress.” Elle Fanning was on board to portray Hearst, and the project was heading toward a spring start.

The move comes after the real Hearst blasted the book’s author Jeffrey Toobin whose work also is behind the upcoming CNN documentary airing in February. CNN has not yet determined a response to Hearst’s statement.

Hearst slammed both CNN and Fox saying she was inspired by Oprah Winfrey’s speech at the Golden Globes and taking a stand with the #MeToo movement. She says:

“[the book] romanticizes my rape and torture and calls my abduction a ‘rollicking adventure… [I’m] saddened and appalled that Fox 2000 agreed to finance and produce a movie based on Toobin’s book (with a similarly themed screenplay, also written by men) and that CNN has agreed to continue to perpetuate a one-sided dialogue romanticizing my torture and rape by hosting a podcast and docuseries through Toobin’s distorted lens.

I refuse to give Jeffrey Toobin, 21st Century Fox, CNN or anyone else involved in these projects about my life the power to make me a victim again, or the power to provide a platform where victim blaming is OK.”

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Sounds like that film is better off not being made. Too bad some others weren’t put on the chopping block, eh?