Review Penny Dreadful: City of Angels (2020)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
AOcyquG.jpg

Your thoughts on this show.....

The new series shifts the setting to Los Angeles 1938 where it promises to follow new occult myths and moral dilemmas within a genuine historical backdrop.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Penny Dreadful” Gets A Sequel Series

penny-dreadful-gets-a-sequel-series-696x464.jpg

Showtime’s lavish gothic period drama series “Penny Dreadful” is getting a follow-up – “Penny Dreadful: City of Angels”.

The original involved infamous horror characters from fiction living in Victorian-era London and starred a massive roster of talent including Eva Green, Timothy Dalton and Josh Hartnett. The new series shifts the setting to Los Angeles 1938 where it promises to follow new occult myths and moral dilemmas within a genuine historical backdrop.

John Logan, creator, writer and executive producer of the original series will return for this ‘spiritual descendant’ and will be rooted in the conflict between characters connected to the deity Santa Muerte and others allied with the Devil.

It will follow all new characters and storylines and have a “social consciousness and historical awareness” that the original didn’t follow says Logan: “we will now be grappling with specific historical and real-world political, religious, social and racial issues. In 1938, Los Angeles was facing some hard questions about its future and its soul. Our characters must do the same.”

All three seasons of “Penny Dreadful” are currently streaming on Netflix, and filming on the follow-up is slated to begin next year.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I really loved season one. I still haven't watched the other two yet.
It will follow all new characters and storylines and have a “social consciousness and historical awareness” that the original didn’t follow says Logan: “we will now be grappling with specific historical and real-world political, religious, social and racial issues. In 1938, Los Angeles was facing some hard questions about its future and its soul. Our characters must do the same.”
While I applaud shows for tackling these issues (at the risk of the morons of the world accusing them of being "PC", "SJW", and whatever else the alt-Reich likes for buzzwords and catch phrases), this show really didn't need any of that. It was pure escapism in a horror setting. Not saying you can't do it, because horror, like sci-fi/fantasy, is the perfect setting for such topics. And doing it in that new setting might work better for it. But he almost seems to be saying that the first series failed at not discussing it, which I would disagree with.

Doctor Omega

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels
Rory Kinnear is returning to the fold, the actor joining Showtime’s “Penny Dreadful: City of Angels” as a different character than the Frankenstein’s monster creature he played in the first series.
The new series is set in 1938 Los Angeles and centers on an LAPD detective (Daniel Zovatto) who investigates a grisly murder and is swept up in an epic story. Kinnear will play Dr. Peter Craft, a paediatrician and leader of the German-American Bund organization which aims to keep the United States isolated from the growing threat of war in Europe.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I just yesterday finished the second and third series of this show. Have to say, I loved it. It's not perfect, not by a long shot, but it's gothic horror at its finest. I have to amend what I said before, which was about the lack of social commentary. The writers do crank it up in the next two series, but I liked how they did it. I will say that Billie Piper overstays her welcome, which seems to be kind of a running theme in her career. :emoji_yum: And I applaud the series finale for lacking a happy ending for everybody (we see no influence by a certain Stephen Moffat here). Still not sure if I'll check this new show out, but it may drag me in. Now I'm off to finally finish The Frankenstein Chronicles. which is okay, but not great.