Review The PLANET OF THE APES Franchise

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Think I've still got POTA weekly #68 upstairs somewhere! I know I've got a few of the Killraven/Apeslayer issues' #29 & #30 under the bed in a pile of old stuff! Sadly I never kept the weekly Apes comics, why? I've absolutely no idea!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The Killraven thing baffled me at the time. Since then I have found out that it was a US WAR OF THE WORLDS strip, altered to have him fighting Apes instead of Martians!

1.jpg

On the alternate-future Earth designated Earth-691 by Marvel Comics, the Martians from H. G. Wells' The War of the Worlds return in 2001 for another attempt at conquering the planet (They were later retconned as extrasolar aliens using Mars as a staging area. After humanity's enslavement, men not used as breeders or collaborators are trained and forced to battle gladiator-style for the Martians' amusement; women are used as breeders to supply infants, eaten by the Martians as a delicacy. Jonathan Raven, dubbed Killraven as his gladiatorial nom de guerre, escaped with the help of the gladiatorial "keeper", but without his brother, Deathraven. Killraven joined the Freemen, a group of freedom fighters against Martian oppression.

• In 1975, Marvel UK's Planet of the Apes comic reprinted Killraven as "Apeslayer", with alterations to substitute the Martians for apes and place the strip in the Planet of the Apes universe.

670357.jpg f324229bad0189be5400dc390b8ddb5e.jpg

Doctor Omega

I can see why they did it, running out of strips to put in the weekly comic, but it made for a curious sort-of-addition to the APES mythos!

KRVAS7-1.jpg KRVAS6-11.jpg

Doctor Omega

To add to the confusion for me, there was also Marvel's John Carter: Warlord of Mars.

How many Martian warriors did we need?

Thank God they didn't alter this artwork too!

JOHN CARTER: THAT OTHER APESLAYER!

It was all a bit of a muddle for me at the time!

15712-2907-17507-1-john-carter-warlord-.jpg

johnnybear

Wonder who the artist was that altered Herb Trimpe's armoured soldiers into armoured apes? I know that Pet Shop boys singer Neil Tennant used to work for Marvel comics UK back in the seventies but I doubt it was him somehow!
JB

Doctor Omega

I think he may have left clues that it was him....

Could the song "I WOULDN'T NORMALLY DO THIS KIND OF THING" have been inspired by (never talked about) Ape-changing antics? :emoji_alien:

Gavin

VIP
The novelisations of the original films and even the tv shows, have recently been reissued.....
I'm gonna have to get me those. It's a shame that there is no novelisation of the first movie. I've read the novel that the movie was based on but it would have been nice to be able to get a set that matched with the movies, as the original novel had some significant differences to the movie.

johnnybear

I'm gonna have to get me those. It's a shame that there is no novelisation of the first movie. I've read the novel that the movie was based on but it would have been nice to be able to get a set that matched with the movies, as the original novel had some significant differences to the movie.
Same here, Gav! I always wanted the original film as a book as a teenager, when my Apemania was at it's greatest!
JB

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Disney now has its hands on Fox’s key franchises including “X-Men,” “Alien,” “Predator,” “Avatar,” “Die Hard,” “Planet of the Apes,” “Kingsman” and “Fantastic Four” (which is listed in the press release). Disney now also controls the full rights to all “Star Wars” films with the previously Fox-owned 1977 original likely to go back to Disney’s Lucasfilm – meaning theatrical re-releases and a potential home video version of the original theatrical cut.

Doctor Omega

'Crisis on the Planet of the Apes' Set for Virtual Reality Release

crisis_pota_3_-_h_2018.jpg

Produced in partnership with VR firm Imaginati Studios, Crisis is a first-person action-adventure VR game set in-between the Rise and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes movies, when the simian flu has wiped out half of humanity and left other primates evolved.

The user plays an intelligent ape, captured and held prisoner in a heavily guarded scientific facility as mankind searches for a cure. The player must escape with fellow apes and return home to Caesar.

FoxNext has developed several VR experiences based on Fox properties. That has included The Martian VR Experience and Alien: Covenant In Utero.

Doctor Omega

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Planet of the Apes puts 1-4 players on a crash course with feral foes, deadly environments, and unbridled psychological horror! In an innovative twist on the cooperative board game genre, each player takes control of one aspect of Colonel George Taylor’s psyche, and must work together to survive the Planet of the Apes!

Starting with the classic film, Planet of the Apes follows the plot of the original movie and promises players a thrilling adventure in an unknown land!

Designed by Richard Launius, the creator of Arkham Horror, perfect for players who love games, or just want a new way to enjoy the films. Planned as the first in a series of games based on the classic series of films.