Review Plato's Stepchildren (1968)

Hux

Member: Rank 6
You forgot to post the most hilarious thing ever seen in Trek.

Also, this "first interracial kiss" stuff gets a little annoying. Kirk was FORCED to kiss her. Even members of the KKK would be tolerant of aliens forcing a kiss.

Here's a real first interracial kiss.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
This is one episode of Star Trek that I'm glad the BBC banned for many years! Not because Kirk kissed Uhura, coz any man would want to kiss her but because of the lame script and embarrassing scenes with Kirk acting like a horse and Spock doing the Flamenco on Kirk's head!!!
JB

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
this "first interracial kiss" stuff gets a little annoying.

Yes, I think that there is, in all truthfulness, an element of sadness in that Nichelle's career boils down to THE KISS ANECDOTE and THE MARTIN LUTHOR KING anecdote.

The first has turned into an epic saga in the telling and retelling, thanks to Nichelle, whereas it was probably just another day at work from Shatner's viewpoint. And I have read the MLK anecdote being described as "reportedly apocryphal" before now.

In other words, I feel that Nichelle has tried to assign historic dimensions both times to her presence in the show.

Herself and the others supporting actors never really escaped the show, whereas Shatner and Nimoy managed to branch out into other careers. I don't think that they were robbed though. I don't feel that Nichols, Koenig, Takei or Doohan had either the presence or range to make it as movie stars and were strictly tv standard actors. Particularly Koenig, who I don't think was a very good actor at all.

And while Takei had a few moments of absolute brilliance in THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY, I suspect that a CAPTAIN SULU series would have potentially been an embarrassment, without the genius of Meyer directing every scene and dragging the brilliance out of Takei. I thought the Sulu appearance in VOYAGER was somewhat self consciously played and perhaps even fairly conceited and self important.