Fun Plays & Play-going

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Was lucky enough to see the Donmar Warehouse's Shakespeare trilogy in a day . A morning of Julius Caesar, afternoon of Henry IV and the evening was The Tempest. Mind-blowingly wonderful from beginning to end. You?

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Former Doctor Who actress Katy Manning in a murder mystery called Murder At Play in a small provincial theatre.

A former soap star or two bumped up - and bumped off - the cast. You could even get an ice cream during an interval, for a sky high fee.

One thing I did notice about this very old theatre (Lincoln Theatre Royal, UK) was that the seats were small and almost crushingly close together, which made me realise that Victorian people really must have been somewhat smaller of frame than we are.

I do love the atmosphere of an authentic historical theatre and a proper theatre production.

A local town hall putting on "Britain's Brightest Medium" in an "astonishing display of clairvoyance" for one night only - again for a sky high fee - is no substitute i.m.o. :emoji_alien:

Carol

Sounds lovely - I may have mentioned elsewhere I am an overgrown hobbit of 4' 11" - but you are bang on about those easily compacted Victorians, my friend. When I cringe for leg room something is seriously amiss - and it happens. I happily remember - despite eventual cramp- squeezing into the lovely theatre in Harrogate to see Ben Kingsley's one man show about the actor Edmund Kean just after winning the Oscar for Gandhi. Not only was he magnificent but the theatre was glowing with all the gold-embroidered saris and jewellry of the Indian members of the audience - many, like me, heading back to Leeds and Bradford on the late train home (well, not the blokes, obviously).
Don't know the theatre in Lincoln yet - a but smashing cathedral and castle combo inspire confidence!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, it's a lovely place to visit. And John Hurt was born there I believe. In fact he made a film there as a young actor, but the title eludes me.

Carol

Yes, it's a lovely place to visit. And John Hurt was born there I believe. In fact he made a film there as a young actor, but the title eludes me.
Interesting factoid - as for the film, probably not the oe with the penguins (or aliens, I suppose).
Happy weekend :emoji_sleeping:

Sunflower007

Member: Rank 3
:emoji_relaxed:~ The best and only two musicals I've seen in 2016 was Tuck Everlasting during the spring season and Falsettos in the winter. Both so great, touching and beautiful.

*~:emoji_performing_arts:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
:emoji_musical_score:
"
Ask me if I need him

Get him out of my way
These are
These are the games
These are the games
These are the only games I play"

By: Falsettos

Mad_Monster_Party

Sandbox Chief Commissioner
Has anyone read American Buffalo (Mamet Play)?

Or for that matter what are your opinions on David Mamet plays in general?

The reason why I bring up American Buffalo is because of the fact that I just purchased a copy of it recently and will probably read it in the near future.

So, what does everyone think?

:emoji_alien::emoji_alien:!

Last edited by a moderator: