Review Polaroid (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Polaroid-2019-english-subtitles-srt.jpg

The story follows high school loner Bird Fitcher who has no idea what dark secrets are tied to the Polaroid vintage camera she stumbles upon, but it doesn’t take long to discover that those who have their picture taken meet a tragic end.

Kathryn Prescott, Mitch Pileggi, Grace Zabriskie, Keenan Tracey, Tyler Young, Keenan Tracey, Samantha Logan, Priscilla Quintana, Madelaine Petsch and Javier Botet star.

Last edited:

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
I thought about writing a full review of this one on my blog, and might at some point, but there isn't really all that much to say about it. It's just a bunch of teenagers running around avoiding the ghost of the camera. There's no character development or anything. And the way they defeat the ghost at the end of the movie is exactly how I predicted the ghost would be defeated, as well as exactly the way a joke YouTube comment on the trailer for the movie said it could happen back three or so years ago. Yes, you read that correctly: A joke YouTube comment said that they could easily defeat the ghost a certain way, and that's exactly what happens. I kind of would have expected some sort of twist on that aspect to subvert the expectations, but nope, it ends predictably. The first few minutes of the film are completely pointless, as the characters in that scene are never seen or referenced again, which made me wonder if the movie was cut down by the studio, and there's some better longer version of it that audiences didn't get to see, which makes sense because the final scene implies that the main character made a choice that was supposed to be the end of a character arc that never happened. Also, the ghost is made way too obvious at the start of the film. I think it would have worked a lot better if we didn't see the actual killings happen so that it seems that there's an actual human serial killer running around that just happens to be killing the people who had their photos taken, with it slowly becoming more clear that something supernatural is behind the killings, and we could figure out there's a ghost behind it all at the same time that the characters do, with the audience not seeing the ghost until the final scene. It would build suspense a lot better that way IMO. I didn't hate this film. I quite enjoyed it actually, because the premise was interesting, but man, they missed a lot of opportunities to turn this into a way better movie than it was.

Also, the date in the title should probably be changed to 2019, because the release was delayed.