Review Poltergeist III (1988)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Check Out This Fan Re-Edit of the Lost Ending to Poltergeist III

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/219903/check-fan-re-edit-lost-ending-poltergeist-iii/

Flowtac Entertainment
Published on Feb 8, 2017

SUBSCRIBE 98
While I have my grievances with the third film in the series, I do ultimately enjoy Poltergeist III, even if I find it the weakest of the three films. However, one of its many shortcomings was the rushed anticlimatic ending, which doesn't even feature Heather O'Rourke (whom played Carol Anne). The main reason for this is that the ending was always planned to be reshot, but Heather sadly passed before then, and for all accounts & purposes, the entire cast & crew were so disheartened (and weren't being allowed a break in filming, to recover from such a great loss), that they merely just slapped together a new ending, because they were simply drained and just wanted to be done with it. I most definitely understand that viewpoint, but it always bothered me that nothing from the original ending was ever used. Well, thanks to the efforts of Shout! Factory, the unused original ending has been released. Admittedly, both versions of the ending are lacking, but it seemed like there were elements from both that, if combined together, could make for something more satisfying than what we were initially given. So, thus began the project to completely re-cut the ending, which was more of an undertaking than anticipated. The original ending's footage needed to be color-graded, in order to best match with the rest of the film, and all the audio on the original ending was missing too, so, I had to completely re-dub those sections, outsourcing from multiple areas of the film (Thank goodness for 5.1 audio mixes). While I was at it, I also re-scored the ending with a large majority of Jerry Goldsmith, since, admittedly, Poltergeist III always felt lacking without his magical music touch. I have now corrected that error, while still keeping choice moments from the original composer of the third one, Joe Renzetti, due to how well they complimented the film in those spots (particularly the end credits). After all the effort put into it, I am now pleased to bring you all a definitive ending to the third & final film in the Poltergeist series. I hope that you all enjoy it, and I hope that it does right by all who were involved with this ambitious, albeit rushed, film. :) Poltergeist III belongs to MGM; I do not claim ownership of the film or its properties. This is merely a love letter for the fans, by a fan of the series.