Review Preacher (2016)

sleepyjack

Member: Rank 1
kind of feel bad for him all he wants is redemption, I suppose if he can manage to find his way out of hell then he will have gone some way to redeeming himself, I think Preacher knows it was wrong to use his power to punish him like that as the bible says let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

will be interesting to see how it all unfolds though.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Preacher” Second Season Goes Wild

preacher-second-season-goes-wild-696x464.jpg

Some fans of Garth Ennis’ famed “Preacher” comic were upset with the way AMC’s TV adaptation of the series took a distinct turn – essentially turning the first season into a prequel leading up to the events of the first issue.

Now, with season two kicking off this weekend, the direct adaptation of the material is set to begin. Speaking with io9, showrunner Sam Catlin says that the in doing the first season as a prequel – it has both given them time to find the show’s tone and allows them to jump into adapting the comic. It was a risk, and now comes the payoff:

“I feel good about [season one], and I feel even better about it now that we’ve done season two. I felt like we sort of had to set the groundwork for who this guy, Jesse, was, what he used to do, what God meant to him and sort of create the rules for the show. I’m glad we had the patience.

I wasn’t aware of how much absurdity the show could sustain, [but] still be a drama, and still have stakes and characters that were real that people would identify with. Preacher has different appetites and rules and I feel like what I learned was that you can sort of take the kid gloves off a little bit, going into this season.”

Fellow producer Evan Goldberg says while it will more closely follow the comics, there’s still differences:

“In terms of the story, you can’t tell that story, apples to apples. You just can’t. Anyone would have to innovate and create and embellish and compress and do all those different things. But for us, what we’ve always said is, ‘We want it to feel, even if it doesn’t match up beat for beat, like [comic creator] Garth [Ennis]’s comic.'”

“Preacher” season two begins this Sunday, June 25th with a two-night premiere; the second episode airs on Monday June 26th in its new regular time slot.

Doctor Omega

Catholic League Mad At Jesus Sex In “Preacher”

catholic-league-mad-at-jesus-sex-in-preacher-696x464.jpg

Considering its made by “Sausage Party” duo Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg and it has proven multiple times this season it takes no prisoners, it comes as little surprise that AMC’s “Preacher” has incorporated a sex joke that has led to upset.

Specifically the cold open of the second season’s tenth episode depicts a sex scene between a woman and Jesus Christ. While there’s effectively no nudity, the scene makes no bones about what the two are doing.

It also amusingly includes a half-minute scene of the pair’s shadows projected on a wall engaging in multiple sexual positions including missionary, doggy style, the dirty wheelbarrow and the spider. Now, Catholic League president Bill Donohue has released a statement condemning the series:

“Depicting Jesus in a grotesque sex scene is an assault on the sensibilities of all Christians, as well as people of good will who are not Christians.

We have been treated to this kind of fare from some pay-per-view channels, but we are not accustomed to AMC getting into the mud. If this is a signal of what it aspires to become, we will rally Christians against it.”

Of course the sex scene in this case wasn’t just gratuitous, but tied into a necessary plot point that has been building all season. The outcome of it ties back into the series later in the episode in a scene that surprisingly isn’t drawing much controversy even as it plays with a more blasphemous idea.

Rogen has shared the FOX News story about the controversy on his Twitter, labelling it a “good endorsement”. The series, based on Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s acclaimed comic, has three more episodes left in its run for this year.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I have one episode left of season one to watch, and I'm loving it. I can't wait for season two to hit Hulu.

Catholic League president Bill Donohue
Is a tool. Seriously, there is no league, it's him, watching the media and making a big deal out of anything that upsets his delicate sensibilities. He's the American Mary Whitehouse.

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
I wouldn't be in a big hurry for S2, sad to say it did not live up to S1. In fact, it was really boring. S2E1 is fantastic, one of the best episodes of the series but the next 11 episodes are mostly them sitting around an apartment worrying about stuff that people who sit around an apartment all day worry about. Occasionally Jessie goes on a field trip. But you could watch the first and last episodes of S2 and miss very little.

Doctor Omega

“Preacher” To End With S4 In August

preacher-to-end-with-s4-in-august-696x464.jpg

Seth Rogen, who helped co-create the AMC TV series adaptation of the famed Garth Ennis comic book series “Preacher,” has confirmed the show’s upcoming fourth season will be its last.

Rogen also revealed an August 4th premiere date for the new season which began production in Australia earlier this year.

In the third season, Jesse Custer’s quest for God took him back to the Louisiana Plantation where he grew up – only to find deadly obligations awaiting him, Tulip, and Cassidy.

Dominic Cooper, Ruth Negga, Joseph Gilgun, Ian Coletti, Graham McTavish, Pip Torrens, Julie Ann Emery, Malcolm Barrett are all expected back.