Famed film composer Ennio Morricone has denied participating in a Playboy Germanyinterview recently, comments from which went viral this weekend in which he appeared to trash talk Quentin Tarantino and called the filmmaker a cretin.
The 90-year-old composer won an Oscar for composing Tarantino’s “The Hateful Eight” and the filmmaker has used his work several times in this films. The article has Morricone claiming Tarantino calls at the last minute and wants a finished film score delivered within days.
The article then reportedly has him going on to say Tarantino just “steals from others and puts it together again. There is nothing original about that” before calling him not a real director. Morricone has now said in a statement released Sunday:
“It has come to my attention that Playboy Germany has come out with an article in which I have called Tarantino a cretin and consider his films garbage. This is totally false. I have not given an interview to Playboy Germany and even more, I have never called Tarantino a cretin and certainly do not consider his films garbage. I have given a mandate to my lawyer in Italy to take civil and penal action.
I consider Tarantino a great director. I am very fond of my collaboration with him and the relationship we have developed during the time we have spent together. He is courageous and has an enormous personality. I credit Tarantino for being one of the people responsible for getting me an Oscar, which is for sure one of the greatest acknowledgements of my career, and I am forever grateful for the opportunity to compose music for his film.”
Morricone and Tarantino have had a successful if feisty working relationship in the past and this isn’t the first time Morricone has said comments about working with Tarantino and then quickly issued a follow-up statement saying they were taken out of context, though the ones this time were far harsher and this time he’s outright slamming the quotes as false.
At present Morricone isn’t involved in Tarantino’s next directorial effort “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”.
Playboy Germany has defended its story in which legendary Italian composer Ennio Morricone labelled filmmaker and his former collaborator Quentin Tarantino ‘a cretin’ and dubbed his films ‘trash’.
Word of the interview hit over the weekend with Morricone then issuing a statement essentially calling the interview a fabrication and said he hadn’t spoken with the outlet and would take legal action against them. Now, the publishing group Hubert Burda Media, who owns Playboy in Germany, has rejected that disavowal with a statement of their own:
“We are surprised that composer Ennio Morricone denies giving an interview to German Playboy. In fact, the conversation took place on June 30th 2018 at his estate in Rome. The interview, about the concert organizer Semmel Concerts, which was also present at the interview, had been agreed to with German Playboy. We also cannot understand that parts of the published statements were apparently not found to have been accurate.”
The Q&A was conducted by music journalist Marcel Anders and the original article included the quote: “The man [Tarantino] is a cretin. He only steals from others and puts that stuff together in a new way. None of that is original. He is not a director. Meaning you can’t compare him to Hollywood greats like John Huston, Alfred Hitchcock or Billy Wilder. Those were great. Tarantino only recycles old stuff.”
Giorgio Assumma, Morricone’s lawyer, said he would be talking to his client Tuesday and had no immediate further comment beyond their original statement.
Over the weekend came the Playboy Germany interview in which famed composer Ennio Morricone seemingly labelled filmmaker Quentin Tarantino a ‘cretin’ and went on to disparage him at length.
Then came Morricone’s denial in a statement which suggested the entire interview was fabricated and he would pursue legal action. Then yesterday Playboy hit back saying they’re standing by the interview and reporter and gave details of when the interview took place.
Now Morricone has seemingly prevailed as Playboy Germany editor-in-chief Florian Boitin issued a new statement saying:
“Up to now, we have considered the freelancer who conducted the Ennio Morricone interview on our behalf to be a renowned print and radio journalist. In the past, we have had no reason to doubt his journalistic integrity and skills. Based on the information now at our disposal, we must unfortunately assume that the words spoken in the interview have, in part, been reproduced incorrectly.
We would like to express our regret should Mr. Morricone have been portrayed in a false light. We are working to clarify this matter and are exploring legal measures.”
The comments suggest while an interview did happen, the quotes were not correct and potentially changed to be sensationalised. Either way, it looks like the case is over for now.
The writer of the recent interview with famed composer Ennio Morricone, the one in which Morricone allegedly badmouthed Quentin Tarantino, has admitted to making ‘terrible mistakes’ in the piece.
Playboy Germany, which published the piece from freelance writer Marcel Anders, says in a newsletter sent to the magazine’s 65,000 subscribers yesterday that the article included the use of quotes taken from previous stories in other outlets.
The magazine dubbed it “an intolerable breach of journalistic ethics” that did not reflect its standards, and apologized to readers “for failing to save you from this farce of an interview”. They go on, saying:
“In our many years of collaboration, this highly experienced journalist, who enjoys a spotless reputation within the industry, has never given us cause to doubt his integrity or his skills. To our dismay, we have now established that sections of the interview published by us do not accurately reflect the words spoken by Mr Morricone.
Mr. Anders has now addressed the accusations himself, and admits to making ‘terrible mistakes’ [including] adding statements made at other times and in other media. Based on the information at our disposal, his actions have resulted in irresponsible inaccuracies at best and, at worst, in intentional deceit.”
The statement did not specify exactly which quotes in the published interview were false or misleading, and the outlet is expected to file a criminal complaint against Anders.