Review Racism

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
DEBATE: How racist is Trump?

President Donald Trump told a reporter he’s “the least racist person you have ever interviewed" but has failed to quiet intense public discussion over his perceived racism. Trump doesn’t have “a racist bone in his body,” conservative commentator Steve Malzberg argues, while author Earl Hutchinson says the president is “the biggest racist in the world.” They hash it out on “News with Ed.”

Doctor Omega

Social media video shows arrests of black men at Philadelphia Starbucks

Video posted to social media shows police officers arresting two black men as they sat in a Starbucks coffee shop in Philadelphia. The arrests prompted some to accuse the company of racial discrimination.

Doctor Omega

Starbucks CEO: I'm going to fix this

Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson met with the two black men arrested in a Philadelphia store to discuss what measures the company can implement to prevent similar incidents in the future.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Honestly, if a store has a sign that reads no loitering, then you can't just sit there. I mean I have walked into places asked if I could use the restroom and been told no, custores only. If they didn't buy anything then they didn't need to be there. All they had to do was buy something cheap, and this wouldn't have happened. I am getting so tired of the race card being played so much.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Honestly, if a store has a sign that reads no loitering, then you can't just sit there. I mean I have walked into places asked if I could use the restroom and been told no, custores only. If they didn't buy anything then they didn't need to be there. All they had to do was buy something cheap, and this wouldn't have happened. I am getting so tired of the race card being played so much.
Here's the issue, though. A) Starbucks is known for loiterers. Many people go and sit there mainly for use of the WiFi, and never buy a single thing. B) The manager had a long history of making it known that she felt uncomfortable having customers of color, and treated them differently. She had zero problem allowing whites to come in and use the restroom without a purchase, but then called the police on these two gentlemen, an act she had done before to non-whites. I see that, yes, the race card does get played, but in this case, I have absolutely no problem seeing this woman get her comeuppances for her actions.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Starbucks to close 8,000 US cafés for an afternoon’s racial bias training
They need to be trained to be racially biased? :emoji_confused:

I thought it just came naturally to them.

ant-mac

I've read through a lot of threads on other message boards about this and - although I might be mistaken - I'm surprised that no one as yet seems to have bothered addressing the reason as to why Roseanne Barr has acted in the way she has. Many posters have simply called her a racist, a right-wing extremist and several other similarly-themed things. However, no one has yet made an effort to explain why she's like this - beyond speculating that she's simply a "bad person". Well, I did a little digging and - while I can't claim that any of this if absolutely correct - I found out one or two interesting little nuggets of information.

She was born in Salt Lake City, to a working-class Jewish family. Her father's family were Jewish emigrants from Russia and her maternal grandparents were Jewish emigrants from Austria-Hungary and Lithuania. Her Jewish upbringing was influenced by her devoutly Orthodox Jewish maternal grandmother. Like many other Jews throughout history, her parents kept their Jewish heritage a secret from their neighbours and - to further disguise this fact - became partially involved with the Mormons.

At six years old, she discovered her first public stage by lecturing at LDS churches around Utah and even was elected president of a Mormon youth group. However, it was at age sixteen that everything changed. She was hit by a car and the incident left her with a traumatic brain injury. In fact, so great was the injury to her brain, her behaviour changed so radically that she was institutionalized for eight months in Utah State Hospital. While institutionalized there, she had a baby, which was placed up for adoption. I was unable to learn the exact circumstances behind the adoption.

So this is a woman who has had to battle with the effects of a severe brain injury for her entire adult life. This is a woman who has had to deal with the effects of having her personality radically changed without warning for her entire adult life. And during this period of intense suffering and upheaval, she also had to undergo the physical and psychological stresses of giving birth - and then she had to endure having her newborn child removed from her. If only half of this were true, I'd have to say I wouldn't be at all surprised by her bouts of unstable behaviour from time to time.

Having said that, I don't believe that her personal history can excuse her extremely offensive and highly questionable behaviour - although it just might provide a possible explanation for why some of it has occurred. Perhaps it might provide some insight into a troubled mind that has had to battle with the effects or aftereffects of certain mental health issues for nearly half a century. At the end of the day, she has sinned and she has been punished for that sin - and possibly others - and I think that's probably exactly what needed to happen.

However, I do think this is a very sad and unfortunate situation for everyone involved and I think it's inappropriate and unseemly to celebrate her fall from grace with such... gusto. For the record, I've never been a huge fan of Roseanne Barr or of her work. It's not that I've ever actually disliked her or one of her films or TV series, it's just that there were so many others I just happened to like better. I suppose it's simply a matter of personal taste.

Doctor Omega

I've read through a lot of threads on other message boards about this and - although I might be mistaken - I'm surprised that no one as yet seems to have bothered addressing the reason as to why Roseanne Barr has acted in the way she has. Many posters have simply called her a racist, a right-wing extremist and several other similarly-themed things. However, no one has yet made an effort to explain why she's like this - beyond speculating that she's simply a "bad person". Well, I did a little digging and - while I can't claim that any of this if absolutely correct - I found out one or two interesting little nuggets of information.

She was born in Salt Lake City, to a working-class Jewish family. Her father's family were Jewish emigrants from Russia and her maternal grandparents were Jewish emigrants from Austria-Hungary and Lithuania. Her Jewish upbringing was influenced by her devoutly Orthodox Jewish maternal grandmother. Like many other Jews throughout history, her parents kept their Jewish heritage a secret from their neighbours and - to further disguise this fact - became partially involved with the Mormons.

At six years old, she discovered her first public stage by lecturing at LDS churches around Utah and even was elected president of a Mormon youth group. However, it was at age sixteen that everything changed. She was hit by a car and the incident left her with a traumatic brain injury. In fact, so great was the injury to her brain, her behaviour changed so radically that she was institutionalized for eight months in Utah State Hospital. While institutionalized there, she had a baby, which was placed up for adoption. I was unable to learn the exact circumstances behind the adoption.

So this is a woman who has had to battle with the effects of a severe brain injury for her entire adult life. This is a woman who has had to deal with the effects of having her personality radically changed without warning for her entire adult life. And during this period of intense suffering and upheaval, she also had to undergo the physical and psychological stresses of giving birth - and then she had to endure having her newborn child removed from her. If only half of this were true, I'd have to say I wouldn't be at all surprised by her bouts of unstable behaviour from time to time.

Having said that, I don't believe that her personal history can excuse her extremely offensive and highly questionable behaviour - although it just might provide a possible explanation for why some of it has occurred. Perhaps it might provide some insight into a troubled mind that has had to battle with the effects or aftereffects of certain mental health issues for nearly half a century. At the end of the day, she has sinned and she has been punished for that sin - and possibly others - and I think that's probably exactly what needed to happen.

However, I do think this is a very sad and unfortunate situation for everyone involved and I think it's inappropriate and unseemly to celebrate her fall from grace with such... gusto. For the record, I've never been a huge fan of Roseanne Barr or of her work. It's not that I've ever actually disliked her or one of her films or TV series, it's just that there were so many others I just happened to like better. I suppose it's simply a matter of personal taste.

From Jimmy Kimmel.....

What @TheRealRoseanne said is indefensible, but angrily attacking a woman who is obviously not well does no good for anyone. Please take a breath and remember that mental health issues are real. The Roseanne I know could probably use some compassion and help right now.

https://twitter.com/jimmykimmel/status/1001891765757001730

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I would be all for the "Hey, she needs help" argument, but the fact that since this happened, she hasn't apologized, and has done nothing but gone on the offensive about how she's being made a victim in all this makes me less sympathetic and more thinking she should be locked away from everyone else.

ant-mac

I would be all for the "Hey, she needs help" argument, but the fact that since this happened, she hasn't apologized, and has done nothing but gone on the offensive about how she's being made a victim in all this makes me less sympathetic and more thinking she should be locked away from everyone else.
Actually, I think she did briefly apologize... and then she went on the attack. She's been all over the place, just as she seems to have been her entire adult life.

I can certainly understand your point of view, mate, but remember, nothing's changed. She's still the same woman who has had to battle with the same effects of the same severe brain injury for her entire adult life that she's always been. Her continuing erratic and unstable behaviour is a clear indication of this.

As I stated, she's sinned and she's been punished for that sin - and possibly other sins as well - and I think that's probably exactly what needed to happen. I freely - and rightly - condemn her actions, but I just want to know a bit more about her medical history before I condemn her for all time.

Doctor Omega

“Last Jedi” Star Exits Instagram After Harassment

johnson-last-jedi-has-20-mins-of-cut-scenes-696x464.jpg

A new post by Star Wars Facts indicates that “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” costar Kelly Marie Tran has deleted all her Instagram posts and essentially wiped her profile clean.

The reason? While there’s no statement from the actress who plays Rose in what was her first major role in a feature film, it is strongly suggested that it’s the direct result of months and months of racist and sexist comments from social media trolls following her work in “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”.

Tran is the first woman of color to have a leading role in the “Star Wars” films and there reportedly was a concerted effort by trolls to go after the actress based on her race and gender. Fellow co-stars like John Boyega and Daisey Ridley have all been the target of trolls in the past.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Hotel guest evicted from DoubleTree for talking on phone in lobby

Jermaine Massey, who lives in Kent, Washington, was on the phone with his mother in the lobby of the Lloyd District DoubleTree hotel when a security guard approached him and questioned whether he was a guest. Despite holding the room key card in his hand, he was kicked out of the hotel.

"Hotel Earl": Employees who called cops on black guest put on leave