Recently seen, part 19 (August 2018)

Discussion in 'Cinema: International' started by JepGambardella, Aug 3, 2018.

1. JepGambardella

JepGambardella Member: Rank 1

I hope you guys don't mind that I start the thread for August, since I have the last three movies from Montreal's Fantasia Film Festival to report.

What a Man Wants
    https://letterboxd.com/film/what-a-man-wants/

Korean comedy about two brothers-in-law and their adulterous endeavours. The movie meanders for about half its runtime before finally getting all the pieces in place for some very funny situations. If I had been watching at home, I would have probably given up after less than 30 minutes, but in the end I was glad I stayed.

Big Brother
    https://letterboxd.com/film/big-brother-2018/

Hong Kong high school drama with the old trope of a teacher (played by superstar Donnie Yen) who changes the lives of several of his troubled students. Very simplistic and contrived screenplay that feels like it was written by a not particularly talented 14-year old. If you absolutely cannot miss any Donnie Yen movie, then by all means go for it. Otherwise, don't bother.

The Fortress

https://letterboxd.com/film/the-fortress-2017/

Korean historical epic about a siege of a mountain top fortress where the king has taken refuge from Chinese invaders. Great production values, as is to be expected from a Korean blockbuster, but it didn't quite resonate with me - maybe because it dedicates too much time to endless discussions between the king and his ministers and military advisors.

2. plsletitrain

plsletitrain Member: Rank 5

Not at all. Keep the posts coming.

3. sitenoise

sitenoise Member: Rank 5

The Empty Hands [2017] • Hong Kong
    Director: Chapman To
    3.7914/10

Stephy is a Karate protegé (she's half Japanese in the film) who shuns it after she feels she's pushed too far. Then some stuff happens and she has to simply live through a three ring match in order to keep her home. Hero to Zero to Hero.

Reminds me of why I've lost track of what Hong Kong is doing cinematically. Me and Hong Kong don't jibe. I never really get the sense that the people are characters in some scenario that happens to be filmed. Everybody looks American to me, like actors are acting in a film for another notch in their bedpost towards stardom. So all the acting is awful (no matter how cute and plucky Stephy Tang may be). And the film flops around from mood to mood for Hong Kong reasons, I guess. The direction is awful. I watched and skipped through this with a wrinkled face.

Deadpool 2 [2018] • USA
    Director: David Leitch
    5.0977365/10

One was enough.

Avengers: Infinity War [2018] • USA
    Director: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo
    5.9077365/10

"Kick Names, Take Ass"!

https://sitenoise.com/swa/Kick Names, Take Ass_EDIT.mp4

That line and its subsequent pregnant pause is worth the price of admission. The drama between Gamora and Thanos (actually, ALL the moments of drama--and there are far too many of them) makes you want your money back.

I blame the writing. The people in control of this one used blockbuster template bullshit with no interest in creativity or imagination. Every character is reduced--and there are too many of them--and every plot point could lead to the complete destruction of the universe. yawn.

Thor is still cool, however. Josh Brolin is fantastic as Thanos. I want a movie with just those two.

#3 sitenoise, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  4. Daniel Larusso

Daniel Larusso Member: Rank 3

It's been mostly videogames for me lately, so I haven't been watching many films...

Troublesome Night
    2/10

Phone
    Didn't get my attention. Still, the little girl was both scary and cute lol.
    4/10

[​IMG]
    Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon
    Last Dragon Ball Z movie made in the 90's. And it's actually one of the best in the DB film universe. I made a ranked list with all DB films. https://letterboxd.com/daredaniel/list/dragon-ball/
    7/10

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    Don't get the hype for this one.
    5/10

Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn

6/10

[​IMG]
    Norwegian Wood (re-watch)
    I remember watching this film some years ago and finding the dark stuff very interesting, yet something was missing in it, it felt empty somehow.. then I found out that it was based on a novel, so while I enjoyed all the dark stuff, the book would probably fill the void that I felt in the film. I listened to the audiobook and it was so much better. The writing is awesome and there's so much description about the characters' feelings, we feel so close to them. Because the main character is so quiet, we get most of what's going on by understanding his feelings. The book isn't a masterpiece or anything, but the experience is so much better than the film.

After listening to the audiobook, I watched it again. While the cast is spot-on, cinematography is very pretty and knowing the book helps me to have a better understanding of the story, I must say that I remember now why I didn't like the film so much as I wanted to. The film skips from scene to scene very quickly in order to follow everything in the book, leaving out all descriptions about the characters' feelings which is what makes the book so good. Therefore, characters in the film feel so distant. "The film itself lacked detail. It felt like things were just happening one after the other. Why were they happening, one couldn't tell". - someone on Letterboxd.

I wouldn't mind having a longer cut of the film with all missing material in it and having a closer experience to, for example, The New World (Extended Cut).
    6/10

Frank Herbert’s Dune
    It's okay. Follows the book very closely, nothing much to say about this one.
    6/10

The nature of my work consists of sitting on a computer stuck in the same room with the same people all day. I'm so bored with it and suddenly I had this huge interest in listening audiobooks. I hadn't read anything since my childhood, and even then it was all about Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings for me. Lately, I also (FINALLY) read/listened Battle Royale and 2001: A Space Odyssey. There's definately a new world here for me to discover lol. Also listenied Dune's audiobook in order to prepare for the new film adaptation coming out next year.

#4 Daniel Larusso, Aug 12, 2018 at 2:53 AM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 3:02 AM
  5. plsletitrain

plsletitrain Member: Rank 5

Bwahahaha! I wonder how that translates into an emoticon.

I also didn't like this. All these superhero movies that's been out lately I watch just on TV and throw them out the window after I watch them: they barely make a mark.

I'll make one too in the future.

What's the dark stuff again.................. I can't seem to remember.