Recently Seen, Part 3 (Apr 2017)

Daniel Larusso

Member: Rank 3

Shin Godzilla (2016)
It looks mordern, but it keeps the style and the charm of the previous gojira films. It was written and directed by the creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion so I was expecting a good film. In fact, one of the songs from that tv show was used here. Thanks to the evolution of visual effects, this film has some of the most impressive destruction scenes in the series. Gojira has never looked so deadly.
This is one of the best gojira films and a fresh new start to the series, just behind the original of 1954. Its emotioal side is still unmatchable today.
7/10

Last edited:

ebossert

Member: Rank 3
Highly Recommended

Hacksaw Ridge (2016) (American/Australian War Drama/Action) – WWII American Army Medic Desmond T. Doss, who served during the Battle of Okinawa, refuses to kill people, and becomes the first man in American history to receive the Medal of Honor without firing a shot. Mel Gibson directed this film, and it’s really damn good. The introduction to the characters feels slightly exaggerated at first, but the performances by everyone are top notch and help to ground everything quickly. The dialogue is great too, and that helps to create healthy dramatic impact. The entire second half is one giant action scene, but there’s a lot of suspense earned because you’re watching an unarmed guy attempting to help others and survive at the same time. One minor gripe is that the transition from Act I to Act II was a bit abrupt.

Night’s Tightrope (2016) (Japanese Drama) – This is about two schoolgirl friends, each of which have had their personal talent and opportunity for success stolen away from them in a single instant. This is very well written, directed, and acted for the most part. The story flows naturally and new side characters are introduced later on. Some of the themes involve friendship, suicide and adolescence. It does have an edge to it at times, but it’s also a very gentle movie as well. Very nicely balanced, which makes the protagonists endearing. One odd thing is that they don’t spend much time on screen together, yet you still get a distinct impression of friendship. The biggest flaw is the use of a few contrived moments down the stretch, but other than that, this is very solid.

Horror Stories 3 (2016) (Korean Horror Anthology) – This is an anthology of three short films (with a total runtime of 94 minutes). This is proficiently directed and acted from start to finish. Some creative stuff here too, with an emphasis on futuristic visuals. “A Girl from Mars” is the wrap-around segment. Set in 2416 A.D., a little girl from Mars seeks asylum at a space station run by robots. This has some very cool visuals involving space and water. “Fox Valley” is set in ancient Korea. Two men visit a desolate area where the villagers believe that the nearby mountain is alive and must be tended to, which causes problems for the visitors. Good stuff, with some very nice lighting; some of the night time shots use an otherworldly dark red that is striking. “Road Rage” is set in the present day. A bickering couple are driving on a highway, but get into some serious trouble when they anger a truck driver. This is probably the most relatable segment, if only because there are many bad and angry drivers on the road in real life. There are a few very good moments of suspense in this. I really liked the ending too. “Ghost in the Machine” (aka “Robot Spirit”) is set in the not-too-distant future. A child robot temporarily malfunctions while babysitting a human boy. The mother finds out and makes the decision to discard it for a newer version, but this thing may not go quietly. Probably the creepiest story of the bunch, with enough horrific robotic imagery to satisfy.

Gantz O (2016) (Japanese Anime Horror/Action) – A group of dead people are resurrected by a powerful entity and forced to hunt monstrous, demonic beings. This is a big improvement over the live action films. First of all, the animation quality is phenomenal and visually pleasing. Second, the monster designs are outsanding too. It’s no understatement to say that this movie boasts some of the most impressive monsters ever conceived. Heck, it even showcases some demonic, horrific versions of Yokai monsters! It’s graphically violent too, which is to be expected from this franchise. There’s not much of a story, since much of the film takes place during one evening, but this is highly entertaining, no nonsense stuff.

Recommended

Too Young To Die (2016) (Japanese Comedy) – A teenage boy dies in a freak bus accident and gets sent directly to Buddhist hell. He is then introduced to a demonic metal band who attempt to help him climb his way to heaven so he can be with his dream girl. And luckily for him, he gets a few chances to impress the demons so he can get out. This is a crazy film that has a lot of frenetic energy. The presence of metal music throughout definitely assists in that regard, and we even get a few good guitar solos later on. We do get some scenes that take place on Earth, and they are very funny because the protagonist experiences temporary reincarnations as different animals. Ryunosuke Kamiki is solid in the lead role. Set designs and special effects are good too.

The King (2017) (Korean Drama) – The story about a man who is born into a poor family but decides to become a prosecutor after learning that power is the most important thing in life. In-seong Jo, Woo-sung Jung, and Sung-woo Bae are all very good in this and help to carry things. There’s a lot of partying and excess, as well as narration. It is a cliched story, and there is not much resistence in terms of conflict, with many problems that get resolved very quickly after they arise. The finale is rather underwhelming too. Still, this is moderately fun to watch and moves by rather quickly despite a runtime of 134 minutes.

Insane (2016) (Korean Thriller/Drama) – A woman gets kidnapped in the middle of the day and is tortured in a grimy, gritty psychiatric hospital that abuses its patients and exists “off the books.” A journalist gets on case and tries to find out the truth This is interesting to an extent because you know at the beginning of the film that the lady eventually escapes, but how she does so is a bit unpredictable. This does a good job of being engaging and creating a little mystery. The bad guys are demented, and there are a few uncomfortable scenes. Not sure the ending makes total sense though.

Not Recommended

Pandora (2016) (Korean Thriller/Drama) – After an earthquake damages a nuclear power plant, an undisciplined young man and his fellow workers must return to the plant in an attempt to stop further disaster. This story is very reminiscent of the Fukushima disaster in Japan, and plays out in a very similar fashion. There are a few good disaster moments, but those are outnumbered by generic scenes of people running and screaming. Most of the melodrama is basic, predictable, and repetitive. I lost interest by the mid-point.

Pink and Gray (2015) (Japanese Drama) – A popular actor commits suicide. This film shows the events that led to that event. The characters are obnoxious early on; they jump around and scream like 10-year-old girls for no good reason. This is fairly boring in its early stages, and one dimensional in how it plays out. There’s no nuance or complexity to anything until the mid-point, where something unexpectedly interesting happens. The film gains new life after that, but gradually loses steam again. Meh.

Skiptrace (2016) (Chinese/American Action/Comedy) – A Hong Kong detective (Jackie Chan) tries to find a conman (Johnny Knoxville) who can testify against a criminal. There’s one decent and somewhat creative scene early on involving a collapsing series of buildings on the water, but that’s about it in terms of positives. This movie is very awkward and cringeworthy, with terrible direction and camerawork from start to finish. The editing and scene transitions are really bad too. There’s a definitive lack of establishing shots after changes in location, as well as set-ups to new events, making everything feel rushed and sloppy. At this point in his career, Jackie is so far over the hill that it is a true embarrassment watching his attempts at athleticism. The humor is really bad too; it feels like something a highschool kid could have written in about 5 minutes. The ending has one of the dumbest twists I’ve seen.

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
Watched All About My Wife last night. (Yes, with my wife LOL). I was not familiar with it, but I saw some earlier discussion from @Zelena and @plsletitrain that indicated it might be a good movie for us to watch. And we both enjoyed it. My wife almost bailed in the first 3 minutes when it looked like it was going to be a Tokyo disaster movie, but I convinced her to give it a chance. She did fall asleep for about 30 minutes in the latter third, but most of what she missed was the more serious (impending divorce) part. So, she saw the comedy and woke up for the "and they lived happily ever after" ending, so it was a "win" as far as I'm concerned.

As for me? I was debating between a 3.5 and a 4 star rating. There were some truly funny parts and I like how my sympathies changed as the movie progressed (the guy was more of a wimpy schmuck than she was a harpish shrew). I liked the Casanova character. There was some real comedy there. I like the way they played up the "man of the world" aspect, what with his international dates and language abilities. If you watched through the closing credits, you saw him take a call from a South African person, saying, almost as an aside, "No problem, I know Afrikaaner." Of course he does, LOL.

I'll go with 4 stars. As typical, the comedy is extremely broad, with the ever-present (in K-comedies) relying on histrionics and hysterics rather than just letting the humor play out naturally. I'm not a huge fan of that approach, but I can't say I'm not used to it.

I've got a whole stack of other DVDs from my recent order; perhaps I'll post a thread seeking opinions on what to watch next.

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
@ebossert

Happy trip. I pick Insane from your recently seen post as promising and will include it in my watchlist.

@divemaster13
Glad you liked All About My Wife. I don't know what would the feeling be watching it with your partner but I'm glad you did. You sure she didn't yell, "So are you saying I'm a loudmouth like her???" Hehe. I've always perceived the wives as like the lead girl, I haven't encountered a wife who's not a loudmouth. But, as the movie ultimately explained, its all for the good of the family. We wives and mothers do that to bring order and discipline in the family. The kids will not realize that when they're young and even despise their mother for being such "loudmouths", but when I became a mother that's where I realize the reason why my mother had to do that. Its all for my good.

Which brings me.....where's @Zelena at? I hope he hasn't packed his bags yet. Zelena????? Still here?

divemaster13

Thanks to good things said by @clayton-12 and @sitenoise, I watched Hello Schoolgirl tonight. Very good. Exactly right in my wheelhouse for romances. My wife was pissy about it. 30 seconds in: "I don't like that guy" and "flip-phone! You know I don't like old movie!" Wah, wah, wah. Her idea of a romantic gift is an envelope with cash in it, so the likes of Hello Schoolgirl does not resonate with her like it does for me.

So, yes, *I* really liked it. It was so Korean. When the mom finds out that the 30 year-old guy is dating/hanging out with her high school daughter, does she call the cops? Accuse him of being a child molester? Assume he's grooming her to get his hands on a blouse full of goodies?

Nah. Her only concern is that he grew up without living parents. "You need to stay away from my daughter--you're an orphan." LOL LOL. I'm laughing because, having a Korean wife, I totally understand why the mother behaves that way. I don't agree with it; but I know that "who are your parents" is the main hurdle for Korean matchmaking. Nothing else even comes close.

I can imagine the typical American audience, if they found themselves watching this movie, would be hopelessly unable to see past the set-up; it would be reduced to "pervy guy hanging around the high school."

I found all four leads to be extremely engaging, each in their own way. I'm so glad I bought this DVD. 4.5 / 5.

Last edited:

divemaster13

Watched Sunny (2011) last night...

...and what an amazing movie. I knew it "looked cute" but was not prepared for how much I loved this. The funny parts were hilarious; the sentimental parts were handled well; the dramatic moments were spot on; and the balance of the story of the girls and the nostalgia of the grown ladies was affecting and struck just the right balance. I enjoyed meeting these girls and their different personalities. The scenes with the rival "girl gangs" and the insults they hurled at each other had me in stitches. I watched this on a HK-issued DVD, so I don't know how accurate the subtitles were, but man, that girl had a hilarious mouth on her! "Shut the fuck up you skanky shiznit twat!" I swear the next time I watch this I'm going to copy down the curses and insults. That's gold.

But the funny stuff aside, the poignancy of how we age from childhood, and what becomes of our dreams and friendships--this movie has a lot to say. It's wonderful that it was able to say such things so honestly and effectively.

5 stars.

sitenoise

Sunny was quite a surprise movie for me. Not like it came out of nowhere and no one had heard of it. I had read a lot about it before seeing it. Most of it extremely positive. I was skeptical and it won me over. I enjoyed it. Glad you did too

divemaster13

Moving through my recent DVD order...watched Watcha Wearin'? last night. Cute sexy romance. Movies like this, if they only use the characters as an excuse to show some flesh or talk dirty, usually get a 2 or perhaps 2.5 star rating from me. Usually the plot tends to be lame and the characters either annoying or, perhaps worse, immediately forgettable.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this movie better than that. I really did like the characters, especially the two leads. There was something refreshing in their unaffected frankness. I totally bought into why their relationship developed the way it did. They became "people" on the screen to me--not just actors playing out lame roles to move the plot in weird artificially derived directions while saying "fuck" a lot. A movie like that is not hard to make. I appreciate the effort to go beyond that here.

Not a great movie, but certainly recommended. Funny and interesting with two very sympathetic leads. I still can't get over the song he sang at the wedding. That was great. 3.5 stars.

plsletitrain

Guys, will HELLO SCHOOLGIRLS get better after the 20 minute mark.....Because I feel ZZzzleeeepyyyy to continue for the next 1 hour and 30 minutes...is there something interesting that will pop out later in the film.....

clayton-12

is there something interesting that will pop out later in the film
It was a long time ago that I watched it - I remember it being part of a mini-spate of schoolgirl/older guy friendship movies coming out of South Korea, and being mightily impressed with it. Here's what I posted on the old boards back in March 2010:

Hello Schoolgirl (Ryu Jang-ha, 2008) is a warm and sweet-natured romance that hits all the right notes, and is completely absent of the cheesiness that the DVD cover suggested. The film avoids using escalating conflicts to provide it with a dramatic impetus, but instead draws on the charm of its characters, who are all inherently decent people with minor flaws. The interconnecting storylines were also tied together really well.

Based on that description, I don't think you're going to any white-knuckle thrills along the way, although, if I'm not mistaken,
he does find his sunglasses

plsletitrain

@clayton

I like your spoiler. afro.gif Hehe.

"The film avoids using escalating conflicts to provide it with a dramatic impetus, but instead draws on the charm of its characters..."

Maybe I lost interest because I didn't feel the characters' charms. That's my weakness: I'm very plot-driven that when nothing comes out of the first 20 minutes except for the characters playing chummy with each other, I get distracted. Tsk. The only exception to this is Koreeda movies.

Thanks for the heads-up..I'm not watching further and watch another movie instead.

divemaster13

Maybe I lost interest because I didn't feel the characters' charms. That's my weakness: I'm very plot-driven that when nothing comes out of the first 20 minutes except for the characters playing chummy with each other, I get distracted. Tsk. The only exception to this is Koreeda movies.

Thanks for the heads-up..I'm not watching further and watch another movie instead.
Sorry that this one did not click for you. True, nothing really major happens, but I found it sweet and engaging. I wonder what your take is for a film I liked (well, loved, actually) for similar reasons--The Harmonium in My Memory?

plsletitrain

Sorry that this one did not click for you. True, nothing really major happens, but I found it sweet and engaging. I wonder what your take is for a film I liked (well, loved, actually) for similar reasons--The Harmonium in My Memory?
I haven't seen it yet but I found a copy of it online so I'll watch it later. I checked the synopsis on IMDb and its quite...... erm.. yeah, I'll see it first. My watchlist, which is a literal paper where I write my to-watch list, got lost. :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

clayton-12

I wonder what your take is for a film I liked (well, loved, actually) for similar reasons--The Harmonium in My Memory?
I loved The Harmonium in My Memory too. A lot.

It’s interesting that it came out at almost the same time as Zhang Yimou’s The Road Home – there are so many parallels between the two films (e.g. shy rural schoolgirl falls for handsome novice teacher in a story that’s told through an extended flashback that comprises almost the entire film), but the timing suggests that they can’t be anything but co-incidental.

One of the things I really liked about this one was the way that it didn’t play out like a typically crafted narrative story might do. Rather, it retained the feel of a collection of memories that were being recalled, compete with all the distortions that memory provides us with - minor incidents being exaggerated way beyond what they should be, and other details left fuzzy. There’s a great scene that captures this perfectly - the girl is looking up at the full moon, rapturously overawed by the beauty of nature and the new-found realisation that this is the same moon shining down on the man she realises she loves, and completely oblivious to the fact that squatting a few feet away, her mother is pissing loudly and talking about periods.

The other surprise was Jeon Do-yeon’s performance. I didn’t recognise her at all (I went into the film having read absolutely nothing about it prior) and afterwards, I wondered who was the kid who had played the lead role, and whether she had managed to forge any kind of acting career. As it turned out, it was the same woman who was steaming up the screen that same year in Happy End!

plsletitrain

Finished watching The Harmonium in my Memory. And I actually made it through the entire run time. Phew.

To be honest, the movie lost me in the first hour. I'm not the one who digs romantic scenes because I'm miserable that way lol but right when that scene where the principal told awkward-looking Lee Byung-hun circa 1999 that the girl resigned because she's going with her fiance, my eyes bulged! I was awoken. Everything went uphill from there. Well, except for that fire scene which is somewhat comedic.

This is my type of movie! Story-wise, perfect! Although I wished they cut it down to just an hour because the first lovey-dovey parts are too long. The only downside is the production aspects. But let's forgive them, it was 1999 after all.

Lee Byung-hun was recognizable but he still acted awkward here. He's very young and looked stiff. Jeon Do-yeon already gave away that she's got a bright career ahead of her. At a young age, she acted like a pro.

The ending was the best. This is my type of ending, the one where the leads went
separate ways

I'm sure almost all humans will love this movie because all of us had a similar experience. Especially young girls who had their crushes. And then look back into those days with their husband and laugh at how far they went in thinking their crushes like them too. Only to find out he loves another girl. I remember that time, I had a crush I thought he loved me. I was ready to confess my love until his friend told me he likes another girl who was way more beautiful and refined than me. So I gave up and decided to forget him. They broke up and that crush is still single now. His loss for breaking my heart. :emoji_bear: End of story. lol.