Recently Seen, Part 40 (June 2020)

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Hmmm ...

Hospital girl.pngStore girl.pngPing-pong girl.pngGuitar girl.png
Hospital GirlDropper by girlping pong girlguitar girl

Can't really get a shot of the first girl because it's pretty dark. One of the questions I had was: Does Hospital/Dropper by girl have long enough hair to bun it up like ping-pong/guitar girl does?

I think it's the same girl. You can blow those up to bigger size. Check the mark about 2cm down from the out end of her left eye on her cheek, and the depth of the tooth next to her left front tooth.

Not that it matters too much but maybe it affects the non-linear figuring it out aspect.

Last edited:

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
At first I thought scene 2 hospital girl and "just dropped by" girl were different from opening, ping-pong, and guitar girl. Now I'm flummoxed, except it doesn't matter unless we need to figure it out and confirm a timeline.
It had never occurred to me that hospital girl and ping-pong girl (aka hand-holding girl) were the same person - right from the first watch, I thought they were different. But ... I think your photos confirm what hancinema indicates - based on 5 acting credits, they must be the same girl (if you include the guy's colleague at the convenient store in the acting credits, that only leaves room for three other girls - one of whom is the main girl's old schoolfriend.

Still, that knowledge doesn't change the timeline I had assumed - start with January year 2, Feb year 2, flashback to March year 1 to introduce main girl, jump forward again to April year 2, then back to May year 1 and continue on with the rest of year 1 through to the following January (skipping, of course, the eponymous December). The only thing it changes is that he didn't dump ping-pong girl for hospital girl. He's still either a cad or unsure of what he wants in life, depending on your point of view.

This also makes me think of all the stuff in the trailer, and where all that came from and what other story it might have told
The voiceover in the trailer is lifted from the film - where main girl and her friend are lying down talking about their dreams for the future, which in their case involves dreaming about what they'll be doing in December. It's laid over images of the guy during the month of December, contemplating what he wants. I actually like the trailer and think it serves the film well.

I love characters who are confident in HOPE:
great, great scene ... even if both the confidence and hope are misplaced, you gotta try them on for size when you're growing up.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
The only thing it changes is that he didn't dump ping-pong girl for hospital girl. He's still either a cad or unsure of what he wants in life, depending on your point of view.
What's weird to me is that there are plenty of times the dude is painted negatively, either explicitly or by deduction, but I made no judgement on him. I guess because he didn't interest me. He's mostly a ghost even though he's in most every scene.

I like the main girl's friend a lot. She kind of elevates the proceedings. She's a real, or least continuing actress. I don't think the main girl, despite her Oscar worthy performance here, has done anything else.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
What's weird to me is that there are plenty of times the dude is painted negatively, either explicitly or by deduction, but I made no judgement on him. I guess because he didn't interest me. He's mostly a ghost even though he's in most every scene.
That's because you're just like main girl's friend - all convenient store employees look the same to you!
But seriously, I think that's quite intentional - he's never fleshed out enough to make a proper character assessment (it would be as pointless for the viewer as casting judgement on the incident with main girl's mother).
Come to think about it, he's never really fleshed out enough for main girl to make a proper character assessment, either. All she's really got is the confidence of hope.