Recently Seen, Part 7 (August 2017)

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
I agree. I think he's busy.

Meantime, you should fill the void by posting your recommended, not recommended, and bottom of the barrel stuff because after ebossert, you're next in line in the family tree. Hehe.

ebossert

Member: Rank 3
My puny YouTube channel takes up too much of my time nowadays. :emoji_construction_worker:

Highly Recommended

Harmonium (2016) (Japanese Drama) – A man runs a small metalworking factory in the suburbs. He has a wife and a 10-year-old daughter. They enjoy peaceful days, but the man’s acquaintance appears after serving time in prison. I found this film to be difficult to predict. It contributes some unexpected moments and did not play out like I thought it would. One reason for this is the fantastic performance of Tadanobu Asano, who plays the ex-con. The characters are not defined early on in a simplistic manner; on the contrary, it takes almost the entire runtime before you get a true feel for who these characters are, as well as their plights and dilemmas. There’s also some exploration on multiple themes, including but not limited to family dysfunction. Solid flick.

Clash of the Titans (1981) (American Fantasy Drama/Action) (repeat viewing) – A film adaption of the myth of Perseus and his quest to battle both Medusa and the Kraken monster to save the Princess Andromeda. This is one of those films from my childhood that has stood the test of time in terms of entertainment value. This is fantastic stuff! It takes it’s time to develop the mythos properly, which means that the battles later on become more exciting than they probably should be. The SFX are outdated, but most ironically the Medusa sequence is far more exciting than any scene in the 2010 remake (it ascends to one of my favorite scenes in any movie). This also succeeds at building an epic, adventurous feel with a runtime of less than two hours.

Ditto (2000) (Korean Drama/Romance) (repeat viewing) – A girl from the year 1979 uses an old radio to talk to a guy from the year 2000. The film does a nice job building the plotline over the first hour. The female lead is likable; the male lead and his female friend are hilarious in their constant bickering. This is a simplistic, deliberately paced film that has a very nice rhythm to it. The storyline is well written, and the sense of sacrifice for the well-being of others is overwhelming. The talented young cast certainly helps matters (Ha-neul Kim, Ji-tae Yu, Ji-won Ha). I would not necessarily call this a melodramatic film, but it does have an achingly emotional feel to it. I prefer this to the similar, and more popular film, “Il Mare” which was released mere months afterward.

Recommended

Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned (2016) (Korean Fantasy Drama) – A 14-year-old girl takes a walk in a forest with a few of her male classmates. They find a mysterious egg which promptly causes an earthquake, subsequent to which the boys inexplicably disappear. One of them quickly returns, but as a full adult. This is an interesting film with a very good overall quality to it. The lead actress is yet another example of a strong performance by a young Korean actress. There are also some cool, unusual visuals to enjoy. The conflict focuses a lot on how people could never believe that such a fantastical event could ever happen. On the long side at 130 minutes.

Daughter (2015) (Chinese Horror) – A renowned psychologist (Kara Hui) is driven to the edge by her seemingly possessed daughter. The daughter’s actions become increasingly rebellious and strange, scaring off everyone around her. The premise is generic but there are some surprisingly intense dramatic moments during the opening half. This is a well acted film overall. The film does use some genre tropes like ghostly imagery and hallucinations, but it does them well. I really liked the ending (partially because this is a Hong Kong movie that does not pander to Mainland audiences). Scoring is creepy too.

Karate Kill (2016) (Japanese Action/Thriller) – After his sister is kidnapped in Los Angeles, a Japanese dude uses his karate to rescue her. This is from the same director as “Gun Woman”, so you should have some idea of what you’re in for – bloody violence and gratuitous nudity. There are some shoddy moments early on, with some especially bad acting. However, we soon get some solid karate fighting. Some impressive strikes from our protagonist too, who can move quite well. There is also some unrealistic stuff added in though. The villain is a lunatic cult member. This guy is so loony, it will make you laugh, but he’s psycho enough to make the viewer understand that the girl can be seriously harmed. Actually, every single white character is portrayed as an extreme racist, and I love it because it’s hilarious. Not as disgustingly violent or impactful as “Gun Woman”, but there is quite a bit of trashiness in this.

Railroad Tigers (2016) (Chinese Action/Comedy) – During the Japanese occupation of China in WWII, a courageous railroad worker (Jackie Chan) leads a band of resistance fighters bent on disrupting Japan’s war efforts. Action is mostly clumsy and a mix of realistic and completely unrealistic stuff, which works well given the lead actor’s age. There’s a lot of action too, but it does get a bit repetitive (most of the film takes place on trains) and the runtime is too long at over two hours. The humor is slightly wacky, but doesn’t overdo it. Nice to see Hiroyuki Ikeuchi here too. Score uses mostly traditional Chinese instruments.

Get Out (2017) (American Horror) – It's time for a young black man to meet with his white girlfriend’s parents for a weekend in their secluded estate in the woods, but things eventually turn nasty. This is one of the most overrated horror films in recent memory. Every character acts so friggin’ weird, it becomes silly to the point of not being able to take it seriously at all, mostly because it’s primarily grounded in reality. It’s so forced in its awkwardness that any normal person would have left the property after meeting the 15th weirdo. There’s no subtlety, nuance, or complexity to this film at all. Also, it gets repetitive in a “let’s meet another weirdo” sort of way. The horror sequences are mostly forgettable (the scene involving the running dude was rather stupid). Some plotholes to sit thru (the cotton scene, the flash at the end, etc.) and there are also a few twists, one of which is blatantly obvious. The ending lacks balls. But with all of that said, there are just enough positives to make this barely watchable: (1) the villains are smug and dislikeable; (2) the final half hour has some tension because stuff actually happens; (3) there are some humorous tonal shifts that kinda worked. This film does not deserve its hype or recognition. Ironically, there was an underrated American movie from 2005 that had a similar twist but was far better.

Not Recommended

The Door (2017) (Chinese Horror) – A few years ago, a movie crew filmed in an abandoned, decrepit factory but encountered a fire that resulted in the death of an actress. Now, they return to the factory to finish shooting that scene, but strange things begin happening on set. Characters are boring and everything is cliched. The scares and deaths are so predictable, it’s embarrassing. No good death scenes at all. There are some moments of good direction and scoring, but it’s only temporary and in-between the key moments. The ending is a huge cliché and has been done better in a thousand other films.

Hardcore Henry (2015) (Russian/American Action) – A newly revived cyborg has only been “alive” for about 5 minutes when his wife is abducted by a power-mad despot, and it’s up to him to save her. Taking place in Moscow, this film was shot entirely from the first person perspective. The only things that I genuinely liked about this film were the bloody violence and the stunts. Acting, dialogue, and scriptwriting are completely worthless garbage – but that shouldn’t matter in a film such as this anyways. Still, there’s no excuse for being obnoxious, and this film is persistently obnoxious from start to finish with its pathetic, juvenile humor. Another major disappointment is that the action in this movie is no better than a contemporary “Ninja Turtles” film in the sense that a bunch of random crap is constantly thrown in the viewer’s face. It’s a visual mess of poorly crafted, poorly shot nonsense. Pacing feels too rushed because it never bothers to set up and build anticipation for the next action scene. Watching this movie is the equivalent to having someone scream “BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!” in your face for 97 minutes.

plsletitrain

I have been itching to watch Harmonium because for one reason or another, a voice inside me tells me to watch it. Like, I feel so compelled to watch it but I'm afraid its one of those films I just can't get myself into. I literally had to stare at the movie page to make me decide whether to click on that play button or not.

I second your thoughts on Ditto. The film is very remarkable to me as it is one of the firstest Asian film I saw (I think I watched it right after it got released on TV).

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
I also liked Ditto (and Il Mare, for that matter) a whole lot. Top-tier.

At the risk of violating my self-imposed embargo on discussing non-Asian films on this forum, I've just got to add a "me too" for Clash of the Titans. This was the very first movie my family watched on our new-fangled device called a "VCR" back in the day, although we had previously watched it at the movie theater a couple of times. The fact that a film we had all watched at the cinema could be enjoyed in our own home, whenever and however often we wanted, was an amazing development. I was about 13 at the time, and pausing the movie when Judi Bowkker stood nude out of her bath (from the backside) was also a major early teenage bonus in those days.

sitenoise

Alien: Covenant [2017] • USA, Australia, New Zealand, UK
Director: Ridley Scott
7.2901/10

I really enjoyed this but was disappointed in how clumsily the big switcheroo card was played. We all knew it had to be played and Scott should have taken more responsibility in playing it well. I liked that a lot of players get killed off before it seems like their turn, but I didn't get to know them well enough to be sufficiently over-bummed.

The (I assume) New Zealand locations are breathtaking.

Strikes and gutters. I want more monster in the next one but this one is more entertaining than Prometheus, though not as thinky, it does tell the Frankenstein story pretty well.

The Great Wall [2016] • USA, China
Director: Yimou Zhang
7.2902/10

I watched this the same night as Alien: Covenant. This movie has better alien monsters, but I felt sorry for Andy Lau being tasked with holding them off by pointing a rock at them. Fans of spectacle and technique will find much to enjoy here, as will fans of the silly hero story with veiled commentary we've seen countless times. There's silly banter worthy of a grin sprinkled throughout. All I needed was the monsters. This is a very well done "who cares" movie with a few big boopers. I wonder who thought bungie jumping the monsters would be a good idea. My reaction was "Wow!" but before I could get the "that's cool" out, a "that's dumb" dripped out.

divemaster13

Watched Dog Bite Dog last night.

Dog Bite Dog (Cheang Pou-Soi, 2006) is, for most of its runtime, a pretty taut little thriller. Edison Chen is a feral Cambodian, shipped into Hong Kong for a hit, and when things go wrong, finds himself alone, cornered, and fighting like an animal for a way back home to his pack. The primary hunter is Sam Lee, an equally feral cop whose colleagues can barely keep on a leash. It’s all pretty brutal, but this isn’t a martial arts spectacular – the fighting is savage, desperate street scrapping. Most of the action takes place over the course of a single night, and throwing in both a sweet love story with a crippled, sexually abused Mainland girl who Chen finds in a rubbish tip, and a touching backstory involving Lee’s corrupt, comatose cop father, does nothing to bog down the brutal pace of the first 90 minutes. The film looked great in its gritty way, with the HK backstreets bathed in primary colours, and the sound track was mostly impressive (repeated growling dog noises had me rolling my eyes at the obviousness of it, but that actually turned out to be a portend of concrete dragging on bitumen).

A 20-minute coda at the end of the film, which follows the characters after the fateful night and opens proceedings up to a much more epic scope, might divide the audience – I can imagine some people hating it, but I think that if the whole is taken as a parable, it works pretty well. Plus you get possibly the most hilariously incongruous use of You Are My Sunshine in a film ever.
Dog Bite Dog is a solid thriller indeed. It made me respect Edison Chen a bit more as an actor.
I also liked it (but didn't love it), and although I was not as forgiving at some of the stylistic touches (e.g., the dog growling noises and the shakey-cam--why can't directors these days hold the damn camera still?), it was for the most part an edge-of the seat type of movie. I possibly would have liked it a bit more if my allegiance to the characters switched during the film as the director obviously intended. But I was firmly on the side of the cops the whole way through. I never felt much sympathy for Chen's character, although I did have a great appreciation for Chen's portrayal.

And speaking of Chen--he was on the commentary with Bey Logan (which I listened to on an immediate repeat viewing). I never really saw Edison in much I don't think; and I don't follow the HK pop or entertainment scene, so I had no preconceived notions going into the movie (or the commentary). But he really came across as a very smart fellow. His comments on the movie's plotting, direction, and character was really interesting and showed great knowledge of filmmaking. I really enjoyed his insights. I was surprised at how perfect his English was, but then discovered that English is his native language, as he's actually from Canada. Learn something new every day.

3 / 5 stars.

Last edited:

Daniel Larusso

Dominion Tank Police (1988)
From the creator of Ghost in the Shell. Great story.
8/10

Knight of Cups (2015)
One of the best films ever about love and loneliness. Also, my 2nd favourite Malick film behind The New World.
8/10

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
So much fun, just like the original. It feels like something new, with new characters and planets to explore. It feels like I'm back to the Mass Effect trilogy.
The colours and the action are so awesome. The opening with Baby Groot is one of the best things ever.
8/10

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
It works very well as superhero film and as a teen film. It succeeds as a very good independent start although belonging to the MCU.
It depicts feelings of friendship, love, family and the structures of society. Tom Holland is so damn likeable as Peter Parker/Spiderman.
7/10

Over the past month I've been re-watching so many Marvel films. My top 10:
1. Spider-Man 2
2. X-Men 2
3. The Avengers
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
6. Iron Man
7. X-Men
8. Spider-Man
9. Ant-Man
10. Spider-Man: Homecoming

divemaster13

Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple (1955)

It probably would have been better if I had watched the trilogy in order. I actually watched Part III back in 2012, and then Part I about 6 months ago. So here for Part II, I had a bit of a time remembering the thread of the story. But still, it's a pretty good film if you like the genre. Toshiro Mifune is again forceful and focused as a former rogue who was "tamed" in Part I to become an honorable samurai. He still has to deal with the two women who love him and the treacherous town-folk who want to ambush and kill him. Given the 1955 production date, there is no blood and gore, so the film has to stand more on plot and character than actual on-screen spectacle. The weakest of the three films, but still a respectable 3 / 5.

divemaster13

Oh, and just to pimp my own post...I posted a review and thoughts on the film Jacob's Ladder in the "Cult Cinema" sub-forum. Just an FYI in case anyone wants to chime in there with thoughts or feedback.

Daniel Larusso

War of the Arrows (2011)
Very uninteresting storyline and characters. Boring action. Couldn't finish.
2/10

Black Magic M-66 (1987)
Anime Terminator.
6/10

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem (2003)
Simple story told through anime and good old Daft Punk. Works so well.
I would watch music videos if every music album was told like this.
8/10

sitenoise

Knight of Cups (2015)
One of the best films ever about love and loneliness. Also, my 2nd favourite Malick film behind The New World.
8/10
Interesting. I had kind of, not given up but lost enthusiasm for Malick, who I used to admire greatly. Maybe I'll give this one a shot.

sitenoise

Oh, and just to pimp my own post...I posted a review and thoughts on the film Jacob's Ladder in the "Cult Cinema" sub-forum. Just an FYI in case anyone wants to chime in there with thoughts or feedback.
Pimp away! Please always pimp away--and link it. I love Jacob's Ladder. Watched it several times.

ebossert

Highly Recommended

The Long Excuse (2016) (Japanese Drama) – This movie is about a gloomy novelist who cheats on his wife and makes life difficult for everyone around him. But after his wife dies in a bus accident, this man is faced with the task of finding closure and moving on with his life. One of the most interesting things about this movie is that the protagonist is the epitome of multi-dimensionality. The scriptwriting is also impressive in how it explores so many different angles of one scenario so exquisitely. Masahiro Motoki gives a fantastic performance.

The Bow (2005) (Korean Drama) (repeat viewing) – This is a slow-moving, original, and entertaining movie. An old man and a teenager develop a relationship on a fishing boat in the middle of the sea. Interestingly, the bow is shown as both a weapon (with arrows) and a musical instrument. In typical Kim Ki-duk fashion, the lead characters do not speak (out loud) at any point in the film, yet their development and maturity is communicated with fascinating scenarios, one of which is a fortune-telling method that incorporates the bow as a weapon. Some events may seem repetitive at first, but one must pay close attention to the subtle nuances that reflect upon the deteriorating relationship between the two main characters. Even so, there are some very uniquely funny and entertaining moments to be had. It’s also very relaxing because it takes place entirely on the boat at sea. This is easily the most joyful and positive film in this director’s filmography.

Stranger of Mine (2005) (Japanese Drama/Comedy) (repeat viewing) – An evening’s series of events involving a bag full of cash is shown from the perspective of different characters. The script is ultra sharp, clever, light-hearted, and provides the basis for a very good film. The structure is layered, which means that many events occur off screen that are eventually revealed through the subsequent shifts in character perspective. The humor is subtle and noteworthy. This is a laid-back film, but quite absorbing.

Recommended

Boyka: Undisputed 4 (2016) (American Action) – In the fourth installment of the fighting franchise, Boyka (Scott Adkins) is shooting for the big leagues when an accidental death in the ring makes him question everything he stands for. Our protagonist has softened mentally since the Undisputed films, so this time he fights for the freedom of the wife of the boxer who he accidentally killed in the ring. This is briskly paced, with a lot of well choreographed, hard-hitting ring matches. Good character motivations too. I enjoy this even more than the prior Undisputed films.

Bluebeard (aka Sea Ice) (2017) (Korean Mystery Drama/Thriller) – A doctor moves to the working-class district of Hwajung, a place that was made popular years ago by a handful of serial killings that went unsolved. After a dead body emerges from the Han river, our protagonist suspects the nearby butchers of murder. This movie is glacially paced and lacks the thrills of most contemporary Korean serial killer films, but as a traditional murder mystery with a focus on psychology and misdirection, this is good stuff.

Nocturnal Animals (2016) (American Thriller/Drama) – A wealthy art gallery owner receives a draft of her ex-husband's new novel, and once she starts reading it she just cannot put it down. Much of the runtime is spent showing the story of the novel, which is very effective in its thriller intensity. It’s definitely a mean-spirited story with some reprehensible bad guys. Problems arise, however, when this film begins to draw parallels between the novel and the art gallery owner’s personal life. These parallels frequently come off as extremely forced, desperate, obvious, and pointless. For example, there are numerous shots of duplicate body positions, which I found distracting and too on-the-nose. It’s almost as if the filmmakers doubted the viewer’s intelligence, so they felt the need to sign-post the fact that they are indeed drawing parallels. At the end of the film, the characters resort to verbal exposition just so the viewer understands the main points of the film that were already expressed visually earlier on. In the end, “Nocturnal Animals” is a blown attempt at an art-house film, but it succeeds as a tense thriller.

Somewhere Under the Broad Sky (1954) (Japanese Drama) – A family in the city of Tokyo running a liquor store overcome their impotence and dysfunction as they induce an understanding through each other of how to deal with their individual problems. Good acting here. The problems within the family are realistic and understandable from multiple character perspectives.

The Terminal Trust (2012) (Japanese Drama) – An asthma sufferer does not want to be place on life support. As a last request, he asks his doctor if she could follow his wish. She is then questioned in a criminal case because of her decision. This moves as slow as molasses in January, it’s 144 minutes long, and everyone mostly whispers their lines – not exactly an easy film to sit thru. However, it has good performances and dialogue that make it worth watching. Not exactly “feel good” stuff though.

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) (American Fantasy Action) (repeat viewing) – Sinbad sails to deliver a cursed prince (who was transformed into a baboon) to a dangerous island in the face of deadly opposition from a powerful witch. This movie is a bit on the slow side, actually, with not much action. Of course, the fantasy elements help to make it watchable. For example, the Smilodon and Minoton monsters are very cool. With this and “Live and Let Die” as evidence, there is no question that Jane Seymour was one of the hottest women in the world during the 1970s.

Not Recommended

Let Me In (2010) (American Horror) – A bullied young boy befriends a young female vampire who lives in secrecy with her guardian. It’s been a while since I’ve seen the original film, but from what I remember, this remake is basically the same exact thing, only with worse acting, a few shots of cartoonish CGI, and a few scenes to make it more “eventful” (e.g., car crash, etc.). Chloe Grace Moretz gives a surprisingly stiff, forgettable performance. There are pacing issues, which was also a problem with the original film, but there’s less artistry here to make up for it. Not a terrible movie or anything, but you’re better off just watching the original.

Bottom of the Barrel

Hibi Rock (2014) (Japanese Comedy/Drama) – A no talent rock band meets a beautiful idol who wants them to write her next song. I have no idea who would find this kind of comedy funny. Right from the opening scene, we get a group of hysterical misfits screaming non-stop. It’s infuriating in its laziness and juvenile nature. The lead actor gives one of the worst performances in the history of Japanese cinema. That’s no exaggeration; he’s completely unwatchable. Fumi Nikaido is the only thing good about this movie, but she can’t save it. The music is ear-grating garbage and the ending is one of the most pathetic attempts at melodrama in recent memory. This is one of the worst Japanese films I’ve ever seen.

sitenoise

Stranger of Mine is such good Japanese film. One of the scenes that really gave me a kick is when the guy is under the bed and the camera focuses on boy and girl's feet, like a sock puppet dance. So cutsie clever.

I pride myself on being able to watch icky movies is something redeems them, but I never found anything redeeming about The Bow. Lots of folks like it, maybe if I feel a Kim Ki-duk renaissance some day I'll give it a re-watch.

I enjoyed Let Me In but you're right one is "better off just watching the original".

The Long Excuse is in my queue.

Daniel Larusso

Macross: Do You Remember Love? (1984)
Space opera about love, alien invasion and j-pop saving the universe.
Strange and beautiful.
9/10

sitenoise

Killer Toon (Deo Web-toon: Ye-go Sal-in) [2013] • South Korea
Director: Yong-gyun Kim (of Wanee and Junah fame)
2.763210/10

This has Kim's snazzy look but the story is so convoluted it's not worth the effort to keep track, and all the cheap, seen 'em before scare tactics are just that. In the first ten minutes alone a scary scene ends with a person "waking up" - several times. And it just gets worse. It has the worst Korean male acting, which I'm really getting sick of--guys who can't act, acting like rude jerks. Too bad. I'll probably skip The Sword with No Name.

sitenoise

I fast forwarded through:
Wonder Woman [2017] • USA, China, Hong Kong, UK, Italy, Canada, New Zealand
Director: Patty Jenkins
5/10

Gal Gadot's action acting and choreography are outstanding. Wonderful. Superb. She hits really freakin hard. I disliked everyone else in the movie. The setup story to who, how, and why Wonder Woman is who, what, and why she is, was too acty for me. Wonder Woman comes into the (real) man's world during WW II, so there's German bad guys and British men with boulder hats and stupid mustaches. I can't watch that kinda crap. So I just FF'd to the parts where she is kicking some ass. Those parts are very cool. A case has been made by many that the script, the story, is good. I can't comment on that because of the people acting it out, in the way that they did, repulsed me. I would have been forced to miss the best ass kicking scene if David Thewlis hadn't put on a mask so I couldn't see his face.

sitenoise

Drowning Love (Oboreru naifu) The Knife That Dropped in Water [2016] • Japan
Director: Yûki Yamato
6.49/10

One strange brew. Basically a story we've seen from Japan a thousand times: Pretty girl transfer student from Tokyo to Hicksville falls for the brooding bad boy in class, and treats a middle school romance as if it's a little more mature than it is. What sets it apart are some of the directorial choices in editing and sound. And maybe some other stuff I'll get to later.

There are some over-the-top drama moments that would kill the film if they weren't normalized by the weirdness of the overall. Almost every scene in the film is accompanied by a different piece of music. Some good, some not so good, but they all act strongly, not in the background, in shaping the emotion of the scene. And the director uses the emotion, or intensity, of the music to shape her film editing. It's not subtle, and I don't think I've seen anything like it before--at least to the extent that the whole film follows this pattern, scene after scene.

Drowning Love doesn't seem to care very much about being a film as much as being a Live Action adaptation of a manga (which I haven't read). The director (I learned after the fact and it made perfect sense) is a 20-something young woman. It's like "Hey! One of us actually did this instead of some pervy old man!" and may explain some of the music video/video game aspects of the presentation.

There's one big problem with it. Well, two. The first is: it doesn't really make sense. The second is: it starts off as a typical teen romance (shojo, I think they're called), then an attempted/aborted rape happens which kicks up the intensity--until it gets lost. And that's the problem. This middle school girl almost gets raped, and two minutes later in the film it's forgotten or downplayed by everyone until the end where it's brought back up for the finale. There's also a "sensitive boy" friend who gets tossed off the film after doing his little duty, and the adults in the film, well, I'm going to give their depiction some kudos. They're just place holders--a middle school girl has to have parents--who look out of place in the film. You know, basically the way they must look to most middle school kids.

Nana Komatsu of World of Kanako fame stars. She's got a certain set of chops. Some fancy boy idol, who dyed his hair blond for the role, plays broody boy. They have chemistry, and I enjoyed Nana's complexity in dealing with broody boy. He treats her like a dog and she's determined to get to a place where he will be a whimpering puppy. And tells him as much. I enjoy the way the Japanese use middle school students to act out a Doomed Lovers play. You look at the players--they're young, there's no sex. They seem innocent, but are given dialog that betrays a wisdom and experience beyond their years.

Not recommending it to anyone who isn't already interested in these kinds of movies. But this one is a little different and could offer something of interest because of the out-of-the-box way it's constructed. I think the ending is supposed to be big and meaningful but it didn't make any sense to me. So it's not a film that meanders around and offers a emotional payoff at the end. It just spirals off.

Daniel Larusso

Tokyo Tribe (2014) - 2nd viewing
Crazy and wild action/comedy/musical with cool japanese hip-hop. It's also very colourful and it has so much energy.
It's one of Sion Sono's best and a very unique experience.
9/10

A Touch of Zen (1971)
Very pretty martial arts film in countryside China, very peaceful. Loved it.
9/10

A Brighter Summer Day (1991)
Wow.
9/10

Non-asian:

Star Wars (1977) - Despecialized Edition v2.7
Watched the theatrical version for the first time, the experience gets so much better. No CGI creature passing in front of the camera and dumbing down the rest of the movie, it felt less childish this time. It's a lot of fun and overall so pretty with great visual effects for its time and an unforgetable score. The lightsaber fight with Vader and Obi-wan is still very bad though, it's just like kids playing with toys. Han Solo is the best character.
8/10

The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - Despecialized v2.0
More mature than the original, with better relationships between characters and a more horrifying Darth Vader, yet showing a more human side. Everything isn't as black-and-white as in the original. The new characters (Yoda, Lando and Boba Fett) are cool. This film is very intense and entertaining, with amazing visuals in different planets and a great feeling of space exploration.
9/10

Return of the Jedi (1983) - Despecialized Edition v2.5
The worst of the original trilogy, but still a good ending to it. The script is the worst with more focus on the action but the scenes with Darth Sidius are strong.
It's also much better than the special edition.
7/10

Song to Song (2017)
7/10

What's Up, Tiger Lily? (1966)
1/10

Annie Hall (1977) - 2nd viewing
7/10