Recently Seen Thread (Europe)

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
I'm adding a Recently Seen thread-European version where we can post our latest viewings from Europe . I'll drag my friend @clayton-12 here who has made it possible for me to be able to see these films.

Without further ado...

Welcome (France, 2009)

A touching movie about compassion and determination with humanitarian values to be picked. I gather this film is highly-acclaimed, and I can understand why. I think the main strength of the film is the actors. Vincent Lindon, who plays Simon, just portrayed his role with a heart. There's not much action and exchange of dialogues in the film, yet when they act, you can feel and see the emotion.

The story revolves around Bilal, an immigrant from Iraq, who wishes to reach London to be with his girlfriend, Mina. While in France, he struggled to overcome the discrimination. (I'll try to avoid the issue on illegal immigrants as 1) I don't have the competence to do so and most especially 2) That is one very sensitive topic I do not wish to delve upon to avoid conflicting views). He made a resolve to cross the English channel so he can be with his love. He enrolled on a swimming class under the supervision of his instructor, Simon. Soon, Simon sympathizes with Bilal and starts to care for him like a father. He took him on his home, fed him, and treated him kindly even at the risk of running counter to their laws. He has an estranged wife with whom he has still feelings for.

Runtime is not too long and there were no unnecessary scenes wasted. The lonely piano background resonates with the plight of the characters. This is an inspiring film that's worth the awards it got. Highly recommended.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
Glad you liked Welcome. I think one of the strengths of the film is that it escapes the melodrama that often goes with these types of things, and completely avoided being preachy. If you strip everything down purely to the development of the characters and their motives and actions, you get an apolitical story - it could almost just be a riff on Romeo and Juliet, with the Montagues and Capulets substituted for Britain and France - but put the story into a very specific setting, a very specific time and place, and the apolitical story can't help but become very political.

Hopefully you'll be able to access Le Havre and Last Resort (although I think there's a little bit of Russian dialogue missing subtitles on LR, though it shouldn't matter), both of which had similar themes. Another similar film I saw around the same time that I quite liked personally, although objectively wasn't as good as those three, from USA was The Visitor - that should be relatively accessible if you wanted to make a mini-festival out of it!