Review RED DWARF: "FUTURE ECHOES" - Episode 02

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
1JwbW.jpg

MV5BZDMxNzU4NzctYTE1NC00OGJhLWEzNTEtMzJiZWYzZjI4MjY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTgyMzEyNDY@._V1_.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

Holly navigates Red Dwarf during light speed. But when Red Dwarf goes through light speed 24-hours early, the crew witnesses strange events and they find they are witnessing "Future Echoes" images of events that will happen in the future.

On to the next episode....

BALANCE OF POWER

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/red-dwarf-balance-of-power-episode-03.4837/

Back to the previous episode....

THE END

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/red-dwarf-the-end-episode-01.4835/

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Lister is desperate to make the journey back to Earth, and is making plans to have himself and Cat placed in stasis for the trip. The ship, which been steadily accelerating for 3 million years, is about to break light speed, which causes Holly to panic as he tries to navigate and which causes the rest of the crew to experience future echoes, brief visions of themselves from moments anywhere in their future, from a few minutes to many years. It culminates with Rimmer seeing what he believes is Lister being killed in an explosion, but a vision of Lister from the far future claims it was his son, Bexley (named after his favorite footballer, Jim Bexley Speed - he said he wanted to name his first son Jim, after Jim Bexley Speed). The end of the episode has the trio rushing down to the med bay to see Lister presenting his past selves with his newly born twin boys, which may be explained some time in a later episode. Okay, it is, and it's hilarious.

Rimmer finds out that Lister is planning on going into stasis, and is furious, because he doesn't want to be left alone for 3 million years. He also tries to explain to Lister that the human race may not exist after such a time period (something that is dealt with in the novels).But Lister is adamant that he has to return to Earth at any cost. We also get introduced to Talky Toaster, a toaster with AI who Lister despises. The show really gets underway fairly early, and would remain really great up until series 7 (a lot of fans seem to disagree with me on that point, but for me, series 7 and 8 were low points in the show). This episode also injects real world science with the idea of future echoes, a phenomenon that was theorized by Einstein. Over all, a pretty solid episode.

I'm going to rate this one 8 bacon sandwiches out of 10.

(Are we rating this show? If not, can I go ahead and do it anyway? And if not, smeg off, smeghead. I'll do what I smegging like.)

(Also, what is it with all these British shows?)

(That might have been sarcasm.)

michaellevenson

I agree about season 7 and 8
Seven started okay, but it just wasn't the same without Rimmer. Chloe Annett was good, and having Kochanski aboard was OK too, but it simply wasn't funny enough, though the episode Epideme was good . Season 8 was a real low for me. The idea was probably cool on paper and I liked seeing Hollister again, and the dinosaur stuff was funny, but the rest sucked.
Seasons 9-12 have all been good in the main, more humour orientated with some real laugh out loud moments.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Totally agree.

Something seemed to be lost in series 7 and 8 seemed to be an experiment that went wrong.I felt also that Chloe Annett's comedy timing and chemistry with the guys was not all that great, to the point where the audience has not missed her in more recent DWARF. Certainly no Doctor Crusher like campaigns to bring her back.

I actually have a bit of a dilemma which I could do with some advice on!

Should I count BACK IN THE RED (3 parts) as one thread - or three separate threads. one per episode? Ditto with the 2 part PETE in season eight? This is a momentous decision to make - with huge repercussions for the numbering of the threads and is already costing me turbulently dark and sleepless nights! :emoji_head_bandage:

It's THE TRIAL OF A TIMELORD all over again (Four stories or one?)!

Thankfully I won't have to decide for a good while yet!.:emoji_alien:

And yes, feel free to rate away CSM! :emoji_alien:

chainsaw_metal1

Should I count BACK IN THE RED (3 parts) as one thread - or three separate threads. one per episode? Ditto with the 2 part PETE in season eight? This is a momentous decision to make - with huge repercussions for the numbering of the threads and is already costing me turbulently dark and sleepless nights! :emoji_head_bandage:
I say make them one thread, all encompassing. While the story is multi-episode, it's still one story. That's my logic.

I will acknowledge that I have been drinking, so my advice could be suspect. But probably not. I'm pretty reliable.