Review Red Dwarf (1987)

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Yes, I've been a fan of RED DWARF since it first came out.

I've got all but the most recent series on DVD.

In fact, the current series of RED DWARF is currently airing on ABC TV once a week.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I remember watching the first broadcast on BBC2 here in 1987.

Am gobsmacked to think that it is still going with the original cast.

I actually went to a Red Dwarf panel at Comicon over here in 2015, with Chris Barrie onstage, along with Hattie Hayridge, Robert Llewellyn and Robert's wife, who it turned out, played Camille in the first episode of season 4.

I think season 10 was a step back up in quality, but haven't seen any of season 11 yet.

Doctor Omega

One of my favourite episodes is Queeg.

Back to Reality is good too, though I wish they had saved that concept and used it to end the show forever at some point as I think it would have been a lovely ending for the show as a whole. :)

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
Back in school our English teacher would bring Red Dwarf episodes on VHS for us to watch if we behaved in class as it was the last hour on Friday!

I've been watching it since that day and I am no diehard fan but seen everything. I can't really recall any episodes or scenes atm, I just woke up lol, but I do really like it a lot!

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Yep love it , got all DVDs, but I do feel the actors are getting a bit mature to be playing these parts.
Season 10 I must admit I didn't rate , season 11 is much better and I liked all of it really.
One question bugging me though is Rimmer on season 8 was flesh and blood of course , but a hologram again in Back To Earth (season 9).
I know it's a sort of in-joke that it's not explained how season 8 cliffhanger was resolved but it'll be nice knowing. Is series 1-7 Rimmer gone forever?

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Yep love it , got all DVDs, but I do feel the actors are getting a bit mature to be playing these parts.
Season 10 I must admit I didn't rate , season 11 is much better and I liked all of it really.
One question bugging me though is Rimmer on season 8 was flesh and blood of course , but a hologram again in Back To Earth (season 9).
I know it's a sort of in-joke that it's not explained how season 8 cliffhanger was resolved but it'll be nice knowing. Is series 1-7 Rimmer gone forever?
The aging aspect doesn't bother me - provided they can at least offer a half decent explanation for Rimmer. In fact, I think it makes a nice change from TV shows featuring a bunch of attractive twenty-somethings who wouldn't know humour if bit them on the arse.

After all, none of us are getting any younger. ;)

BTW, I've been meaning to compliment you on your scarf... :D

michaellevenson

The aging aspect doesn't bother me - provided they can at least offer a half decent explanation for Rimmer. In fact, I think it makes a nice change from TV shows featuring a bunch of attractive twenty-somethings who wouldn't know humour if bit them on the arse.

After all, none of us are getting any younger. ;)

BTW, I've been meaning to compliment you on your scarf... :D
Thanks for compliment, yes an exact copy of Tom's one. Wearing it made me realise why he wore a shorter one for action scenes, it's not easy , it's really heavy.
However freezing weather here in London has given me a rare opportunity to wear it.

chainsaw_metal1

I love series 1-6. I hated series 7, mostly because they had a perfect set up to go into the next series, but they ignored it and went a different way. 8 was better, and I really liked 9 & 10. Haven't seen 11 yet.

Doctor Omega

Stop what you're doing! The Red Dwarf theme song has lyrics no one knew about

This is smegging brilliant.

http://www.ganymede.tv/forums/topic...-noticed-about-the-opening-theme/#post-217304

…it’s got lyrics!!!

Just sticking Can Of Worms on again through headphones, and although I’ve heard that piece of music probably thousands of times over 20 years I’ve only just noticed the vocal parts, namely HOWARD GOODALL SINGING THE NAME OF THE SHOW FOUR TIMES THROUGH A VOCODER.

If you’re listening out, it’s during the triangular key changes in the second half of the theme.

My brain has exploded.

Altogether…

# Red Dwarf
# Red Dwarf
# Red Dwarf
# Red Dwarf*

*previously unpublished lyrics (c) Noel Gay Music Ltd

Doctor Omega

Episode titles for series 12....

1130am_-_rd12_ep_titles_0.png

And, for one episode only, the return of a favourite character......

MAJOR SPOILER.....
28da4d87a83327d5e81001ac3d115822edbd5112.jpg

And Johnny Vegas will be turning up as a "Critcop" too.....

DIoYXgYXgAAr7kt (1).jpg

Doctor Omega

“Red Dwarf XII” Set For October 12th

red-dwarf-xii-set-for-october-12th-696x464.jpg

UK cable network Dave has set an October 12th premiere date for the twelfth season of long-running UK sci-fi sitcom “Red Dwarf” as new details emerge regarding the upcoming six-episode run.

Amongst the new episodes, one features Johnny Vegas as a ‘Crit Cop’ – an enforcer in a futuristic dystopia where all criticism is illegal. Another has Rimmer and Kryten holding a Presidential election after the machines on Red Dwarf go on strike.

Also this season there’s an episode in which Rimmer in search of a parallel universe where he isn’t such a massive loser; one in which the crew finds a space station that has developed a cure for evil, and one in which the gang are arrested by the Mechanoid Intergalactic Liberation Front.