Review Robin Hood (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BMzczNzA1ODgxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk5MTQ0NTM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,657,1000_AL_.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie....

A war-hardened Crusader and his Moorish commander mount an audacious revolt against the corrupt English crown in a thrilling action-adventure packed with gritty battlefield exploits, mind-blowing fight choreography, and a timeless romance.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

quick-news-robin-james-fence-mindhunter-696x464.jpg

Robin Hood
Lionsgate has shaken up its schedule, pushing back the Taron Egerton-led “Robin Hood” re-imagination from March 23rd 2018 to September 21st next year.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I'm..slightly confused. I had missed this when you first posted it, but reading it, I'm trying to make sense of it. When it first mentioned a Moorish commander, I thought, "Wait, didn't they do that in Prince of Thieves?" Then, it lists Jamie Foxx as Little John. Um...what?

Okay, I have stated that fictional characters can be flipped if an actor is right for a role (within reason). And while there's not actually, as far as I know, a historical Little John, it can be up to interpretation. But this, hmmm. This just feels wrong. I'm not trying to sound hypocritical about this, but this feels more like stunt casting than actually furthering diversity.

Also, do we really need another retelling of Robin Hood? The first two seasons of the BBC show from a few years ago was really good (I never saw the last season, but I understand I didn't miss much).

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Also, do we really need another retelling of Robin Hood?
Of course we don't, but since the characters are public domain its a cheap, well known story for a studio to use. It's the same reason we keep getting King Arthur remakes. Since it's not limited to one studio you can have half a dozen versions in development at the same time.

Doctor Omega

I had missed this when you first posted it,

Funnily enough, the opening post of this thread was actually the very first "forthcoming film" post that I ever did on here, way back in February. (Seems years ago!) Since then there seems to have been absolutely nothing on this movie until now.

Yes, Robin Hood yet again.

I would rather see a sci fi version called Robot Hood or something. This just seems so gratuitous. Although I suspect that the makers might be nervous after the King Arthur flop.

Doctor Omega

Robin Hood
A new photo is out of Taron Egerton as Robin of Locksley and Jamie Foxx as Little John in the upcoming gritty “Robin Hood” reboot at Lionsgate which opens September 21st.

quick-news-robin-pikachu-victoria-spontaneous.jpg

Gavin

VIP
I'm feeling a distinct lack of interest in this. I don't mind seeing a new version of the story but doesn't anybody have an original take on the concept? It seems like they just keep making the same movie over and over again.

chainsaw_metal1

I'm feeling a distinct lack of interest in this. I don't mind seeing a new version of the story but doesn't anybody have an original take on the concept? It seems like they just keep making the same movie over and over again.
As I understand it, the original script for the 2010 version was to be quite different, where the sheriff was essentially the protagonist, and Robin and his band were looked at more as terrorists. Apparently, Ridley Scott was interested in that up until the time it came to make the movie, then decided to go with the traditional story, since it would be more profitable.

Again, after the last BBC series, I don't know how you could do it better or more entertaining.

Gavin

VIP
As I understand it, the original script for the 2010 version was to be quite different, where the sheriff was essentially the protagonist, and Robin and his band were looked at more as terrorists. Apparently, Ridley Scott was interested in that up until the time it came to make the movie, then decided to go with the traditional story, since it would be more profitable.
Wasn't there also a point when the plan was for Russell Crowe was going to play both Robin and the Sheriff? Sort of showing them as two sides of the same coin?

Doctor Omega

Upon first seeing the Sheriff's costume above, I thought it just looked... wrong. Not of that time and place. I just think he looks too... I don't know.... modern or futuristic. Or like he walked out of the wrong universe? :emoji_confused:

chainsaw_metal1

Wasn't there also a point when the plan was for Russell Crowe was going to play both Robin and the Sheriff? Sort of showing them as two sides of the same coin?
That sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't know where I had heard that from. It may have just been some kind of internet rumor. Still, it would have been cool. Matthew MacFayden was criminally underused in that role.
Upon first seeing the Sheriff's costume above, I thought it just looked... wrong. Not of that time and place. I just think he looks too... I don't know.... modern or futuristic. Or like he walked out of the wrong universe? :emoji_confused:
It looks like they wanted to cash in on his appearance in Rogue One, so they made something that would take you right out of the movie and say "Oh, yeah, it's that guy".

Gavin

VIP
Upon first seeing the Sheriff's costume above, I thought it just looked... wrong. Not of that time and place. I just think he looks too... I don't know.... modern or futuristic. Or like he walked out of the wrong universe?
Maybe we're all wrong about it not being an original idea and the sheriff is actually a time traveller? :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

Gritty “Robin Hood” Reboot Isn’t That Gritty

gritty-robin-hood-reboot-isnt-that-gritty-696x464.jpg

Throughout its production last year, Summit Entertainment’s upcoming “Robin Hood” film reboot was differentiating itself from other versions by way of being a “dark and gritty” take on the fictional tale – an origins story with a tone more akin to “Batman Begins” than the fantastical “Excalibur”.

So something like the Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe-directed version from a few years ago? Not quite. Director Otto Bathurst and writer Joby Harold’s take has been pitched as “very allegorical and very contemporary” with an energy more akin to a Guy Ritchie film. So, could we expect a proper dark and gritty version then with an R rating?

Turns out no. The Motion Picture Association of America has this week officially rated the film as a PG-13 and classified it as containing “extended sequences of violence and action, and some suggestive references”. That’s very similar to Scott’s 2010 film which was also a PG-13 for “violence including intense sequences of warfare, and some sexual content”.

The new take stars Taron Egerton as Robin, Ben Mendelsohn as the Sheriff of Nottingham, Jamie Dornan as Will Scarlett, Eve Hewson as Maid Marian, and Jamie Foxx as Little John. The new film opens September 21st.

Doctor Omega

“Robin Hood” Delayed Until Thanksgiving

Lionsgate has delayed the Taron Egerton-led gritty “Robin Hood” reboot by two months, pushing it back from September 21st to a November 21st release.

The film sees Egerton as Robin alongside Jamie Foxx as Little John and Eve Hewson as Maid Marian, Ben Mendelsohn as the Sheriff of Nottingham, and Jamie Dornan as Will Scarlett. Otto Bathurst helms the film.

At the same time, Lionsgate’s noir thriller “A Simple Favor” has also set its release date with the Anna Kendrick, Blake Lively, and Henry Golding-led film opening September 14th.

Kendrick stars as a woman trying to uncover the truth behind the disappearance of her best friend (Lively). “Bridesmaids” helmer Paul Feig is directing the film while Jessica Sharzer wrote the script based on Darcey Bell’s book of the same name.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Another one so soon? I mean I like the story of Robin Hood, but it feels too soon.

About a decade too soon.

I also like Taron Egerton. I think he did great work in PLANET OF THE DALEKS... :emoji_wink:

Doctor Omega

The costume at 28 seconds really pulled me out of the picture. Just not of the era. I thought it was a Weyland Yutani meeting!

And has Robin lived his entire life moving and flying around in slow motion? How are they going to explain this peculiar phenomenon?