Review Rosanne (1988)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
asfdf.jpg

Your thoughts on this show.....

A revival of the popular 1990s sitcom 'Roseanne,' which centered on the everyday life of an American working-class family.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Roseanne” Revival Gets A Full Trailer

roseanne-revival-gets-a-full-trailer-696x464.jpg

Shown during the Oscars last night, ABC has premiered the full trailer for its upcoming revival of the classic 1990s sitcom “Roseanne”. Practically all the cast return for the sitcom of a family going through the trials and tribulations of middle-class life.

Roseanne Barr (Roseanne), John Goodman (Dan), Laurie Metcalf (Jackie), Sara Gilbert (Darlene), Michael Fishman (DJ), Johnny Galecki (David), Lecy Goranson (Becky), Estelle Parsons (Beverly), Sandra Bernhard (Nancy), James Pickens Jr. (Chuck), Natatlie West (Crystal), and Adilah Barnes (Anne Marie) are all reprising their roles from the original series, while Sarah Chalke takes on a new role.

“Roseanne” returns to ABC on March 27th.

Doctor Omega

Roseanne
The “Roseanne” reboot opened to massive ratings on Tuesday night with a 5.1 rating and 18.2 million Live+Same Day viewers tuning in for the show’s return. That total is bigger than the original series finale back in the pre-DVR days of 1997 which garnered 16 million viewers. The rating meanwhile is near the 5.7 demo rating the “Game of Thrones” season finale scored last year – meaning the new “Roseanne” is a ratings juggernaut.

Doctor Omega

ABC Renews “Roseanne” Revival For S2

abc-renews-roseanne-revival-for-s2.jpg

Unsurprisingly, ABC has already renewed its revival of sitcom classic “Roseanne” for a second season (and eleventh overall). The renewal announcements comes just three days after the multi-cam revival debuted to massive ratings which drove national news headlines.

Coming back twenty-one years later, “Roseanne” averaged a 5.1 rating and 18.2 million viewers over an hour with back-to-back episodes. That’s the best rating for any scripted broadcast program this season aside from the post-Superbowl episode of “This Is Us”.

It’s also a superior rating compared to other recent revivals like “Will & Grace” whose relaunch scored 3.0 and 10.2 million viewers, or ‘Big Bang Theory’ spin-off “Young Sheldon” which drew a 3.8 and 17.2 million viewers.

Doctor Omega

“Roseanne” Canceled At ABC After Tweets

roseanne-canceled-at-abc-after-tweets-696x464.jpg

Despite the huge ratings, ABC has suddenly and immediately pulled the plug on the revival “Roseanne” in the wake of a tweet by series star Roseanne Barr in which she referred to former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett as the offspring of the ‘Muslim Brotherhood & Planet of the Apes’.

Barr deleted her tweet about Jarrett not long after posting it, following it up with an apology: “I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me – my joke was in bad taste. I am now leaving Twitter.”

It’s not enough though with ABC coming down hard. ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said in a statement: “Roseanne’s Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show.”

Roseanne’s original tweet was met with immediate condemnation despite her apology, including her co-star and the show’s executive producer Sara Gilbert who calls the remarks ‘abhorrent’.

The classic sitcom revival, which just ended its recent run last week, was set to air a thirteen-episode eleventh season this Fall – that’s no longer happening – a remarkable turn of events for a show that finished the season as the No. 1 scripted primetime television series in the 18-49 demographic in Live + Same Day numbers. It’s also ABC’s first No. 1 show in 24 years.

Doctor Omega

More Fallout From The “Roseanne” Cancellation

more-fallout-from-the-roseanne-cancellation-696x464.jpg

In the wake of the sudden cancellation of “Roseanne” following a tweet from series star Roseanne Barr which was decried for its racism, further reaction from a variety of outlets has been swift.

Episodes from the original nine-season run of “Roseanne” were pulled from Hulu as well as from Paramount Network, TV Land, and CMT yesterday. Walt Disney Co. chairman and CEO Bob Iger has voiced his support for the show’s cancellation, tweeting: “There was only one thing to do here, and that was the right thing.”

Barr came back to Twitter to say: “I’m not a racist, I never was & I never will be. One stupid joke in a lifetime of fighting 4 civil rights 4 all minorities, against networks, studios, at the expense of my nervous system/family/wealth will NEVER b taken from me.”

She also blamed her original racist tweet on the sleep aid Ambien, and denounced former co-stars Sara Gilbert and Michael Fishman after they criticised her comments. John Goodman has been asked but said he wouldn’t comment on it.

Both Ambien and Netflix have made light of the story in semi-amusing tweets, as has Charlie Sheen, and show executive producer Dave Caplan revealed to THR that all this went down on the first day of work for the second season of the revival and hellos led to goodbyes in just a matter of hours.

Of course, the axing of the series leaves a big hole in ABC’s schedule for next season and has put a lot of people involved in the series out of work. The financial pain is expected to be somewhat limited in the near term, while “The Goldbergs” spinoff series “Schooled” is looking likely to take the vacated timeslot.

More as it unfolds.

PF4Eva

Member: Rank 3
The Conners reboot without Roseanne is officially on. ABC has ordered 10 episodes of a Hogan Family-esque retooling. She will reportedly have zero creative or financial involvement in the show. As long as she's not involved, I'm in. She was always the worst part of her own show anyway.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
The Conners reboot without Roseanne is officially on. ABC has ordered 10 episodes of a Hogan Family-esque retooling. She will reportedly have zero creative or financial involvement in the show. As long as she's not involved, I'm in. She was always the worst part of her own show anyway.
I have to say I pretty much preferred everyone else to her in just about any episode of the original run of the TV series I happened to see.

Just like the TV series EVERYONE LOVES RAYMOND. He was the only one I couldn't stand.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I love the first three or four seasons of the original run. After that, Roseanne started to buy into her own hype, and thought herself the only relevant part of the show. Plus, she got the facelift, and suddenly couldn't smile anymore. Then the last two seasons were utter shit. I had to work the night the revival premiered, and the wife gave me the rundown. After hearing what she turned the show into, I had no interest in seeing it. Personally, I'm glad ABC fired her Ambien-abusing ass and maybe she'll just fade away. Doubtful, but just maybe.

Doctor Omega

How Roseanne Will Exit “The Conners”?

how-roseanne-will-exit-the-conners-696x464.jpg

It has been heavily suggested, now it’s looking pretty certain that the character of Roseanne Conner is going to be killed off screen before the start of events in the upcoming “Roseanne” spin-off sitcom “The Conners” on ABC.

Roseanne Barr was fired from the revival of “Roseanne” earlier this year after she made a racist statement on Twitter, which led to the series immediately being cancelled despite being a huge ratings success for ABC. The network then greenlit the spin-off which doesn’t include Barr.

Speaking on the conservative podcast Walk Away, Barr herself indicates “The Conners” will build off a suggested subplot in the “Roseanne” revival and have her die of an opioid overdose. Barr says: “I wanted to show [addiction] in the [revival] show. But I was never going to have Roseanne die of an opioid overdose. It’s so cynical and horrible. She should have died as a hero or not at all.”

The revival featured the Roseanne Conner character taking pain meds due to knee issues in the first season of the revival, but an actual acute addition wasn’t shown. ABC still hasn’t officially announced how Roseanne’s absence from “The Conners” will be explained. We’ll likely find out when the spin-off premieres October 16th.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I love the first three or four seasons of the original run. After that, Roseanne started to buy into her own hype, and thought herself the only relevant part of the show. Plus, she got the facelift, and suddenly couldn't smile anymore. Then the last two seasons were utter shit. I had to work the night the revival premiered, and the wife gave me the rundown. After hearing what she turned the show into, I had no interest in seeing it. Personally, I'm glad ABC fired her Ambien-abusing ass and maybe she'll just fade away. Doubtful, but just maybe.
I've been looking at recent pictures of her...

Could you tell me what part of her face she got lifted?

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
She was on Dr. Oz today defending her tweet. She kept painting herself as the victim, saying “my people” suffered at the hands of Obama because he verbally acknowledged that Palestinians are human in one speech (she didn’t say it that way exactly but that’s pretty much what I heard), she didn’t know that Valerie Jarrett was black (she thought she was Iranian) and she was defending her people, the reference to Planet of the Apes was complimentary because it was a movie about overthrowing a repressive government (she must not have seen the movie), she’s moving to Israel (good riddance), my people my people my people (she said that phrase 20 times), blah blah blah.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
She was on Dr. Oz today defending her tweet.
That's the biggest issue! She had her half-hearted apology, and everyone was willing to just let her fade away. But every couple of weeks, she finds some new medium to go onto to proclaim how she's a fucking victim in all of this! She insulted someone in a very terrible way. It doesn't matter whether or not she thought she was another race (which I doubt is the case, she knew what she was doing), she said something incredibly offensive. Then she does the "I'm sorry I was caught being a fuckwit" apology, then she blames it on lack of sleep and Ambien usage, then she goes on a webshow and repeatedly calls Jarrett a bitch, which does not help her case at all. She should have gracefully gone back into obscurity. Unfortunately, there are enough vocal members of the alt-Reich who support her and keep on with the "she didn't do anything wrong" and "the tolerant left is intolerant" and "whatever happened to freedom of speech" bullshit, and it fuels the fire. Jeebus, just go away and let it die already, Roseanne!

Also, @The Seeker, why are you watching Dr. Oz? Didn't I teach you better than that?