Fun Rubbish Acting in Classic Who: Your View

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Tekker wants to know who you think gave the worst acting performance in the whole of Classic Who's 26 year run?

From guest actors to perhaps even a main regular cast member.

From flat, bland, monotone delivery to stupid, over the top acting.

Who should have been drummed out of drama school?

Please tell Tekker soon, because he would hate to have PERI-PUT-TO-DEATH!!!!!

Reverse the polarity...........

RUBBISH ACTING IN MODERN WHO.......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/worst-ever-acting-performance-in-new-who-to-date-your-view.1976/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

To my mind it would have to be a tie between the aforementioned Paul Darrow for being over the top in Timelash - and Rick James in The Mutants for the unconvincing delivery of his lines as Cotton.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Having mistakenly posted this in the wrong thread I'll copy it here.

For worst acting performance I'd nominate Gavin and Andrew Conrad (Romulus and Remus from the Twin Dilemma).

Doctor Omega

And to think, Graham Crowden could have been the Fourth Doctor!

I doubt he would have been asked back for a cameo as The Curator in the 50th Anniversary Special somehow...

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3

I doubt he would have been asked back for a cameo as The Curator in the 50th Anniversary Special somehow...
I'm surprised Graham never referred to himself as a Time Lord when playing Tom in Waiting for God.

Funny how many of these actors turn up again and again. I was just watching one of the old BBC Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries last night, and who should it feature but Paul Darrow as the bad guy. He may get my nod as worst old-school Who performance, but he was pretty good in this.

alpha128

Member: Rank 3

As it turns out the following video was recently uploaded to Youtube. It's wonderfully edited and really shows what might have been.

Doctor Who | The Almost Doctors | The 1970s

Doctor Omega

What about Tasambeker in Revelation of the Daleks?

So bad that even JNT insisted on cutting her role down as much as possible...

Doctor Omega

Jason Connery in VENGEANCE ON VAROS.

Maybe this is a case of the Emperor's New Clothes, but I have to say that Jason Connery is, in my opinion, a very poor actor in this story. His lines are all delivered flatly and unconvincingly. Just dreadful.

A case of nepotism if ever there was one.

Why JNT didn't simply fire him after seeing Connery in that first, badly acted scene, where he is chained, bare-chested to.....

Oh, hang on! :emoji_confused:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Leee John in Enlightenment....

"Resist any further, Doctor, and you will regret it!"

dr-who-enlightenment.jpg

And here he is on Top of the Pops around about that time....

Doctor Omega

pt6.jpg

RICHARD BRIARS IN PARADISE TOWERS:

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/paradise-towers-1987.5247/

I thought he was fine until his zombie turn near the end.

According to Andrew Cartmell in his SCRIPT DOCTOR book, Briars (much like Paul Darrow) completely ignored any suggestion that he should tone the zombie acting down and defiantly continued. Cartmell says that he turned to JNT in the production gallery as they watched this extraordinary performance on the monitors and JNT shrugged as both realised that there was nothing they could do.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
View attachment 15863

RICHARD BRIARS IN PARADISE TOWERS:

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/paradise-towers-1987.5247/

I thought he was fine until his zombie turn near the end.

According to Andrew Cartmell in his SCRIPT DOCTOR book, Briars (much like Paul Darrow) completely ignored any suggestion that he should tone the zombie acting down and defiantly continued. Cartmell says that he turned to JNT in the production gallery as they watched this extraordinary performance on the monitors and JNT shrugged as both realised that there was nothing they could do.
Where was Margo Leadbetter to calm him down when we needed her?