Review Running Against Time (1990)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BMTU2_.jpg

Your thoughts on this tv movie.....

History professor David Rhodes never has got over the death of his older brother, 1966 in Vietnam. When he hears the rumor that a famous professor is working on a time machine, he immediately contacts him and persuades him to allow him to travel back in time and correct history. If he could save President Kennedy's life, Vietnam war might never have happened!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I remember being quite taken with this movie at the time when it came out for rental on trusty old vhs.

Harve Bennett recounted that this is basically the story outline that Gene Roddenberry kept adamantly suggesting to Harve Bennett etc from STAR TREK II onward - and would have ended with Spock shooting Kennedy from the grassy knoll to put history back on course. Harve Bennett always rejected it on the basis that you already know the ending so there is no jeopardy: Kennedy cannot live.

I don't think I fancy seeing Spock as an assassin either.

And it does sound to me as if Gene was ripping off CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER a bit too.

When STAR TREK IV was a hit Gene crowed "See! I told you time-travel would work! Now about my storyline...."