Review S02E05-It Couldn't Happen Here

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8

In West Virginia USA, a Senator Heron riding on his horse on his ranch, dismounts at the house , greeted by his wife. A shot rings out. A sniper's bullet, Heron.assassinated.
In London Ross and Burnside discuss the shooting
Ross " of course it was the FBI, just as they got King and JFK. Heron was publishing a paper recommending curtailment of secret service powers.Maybe they didn't actually pull the trigger, but I bet they paid for the service"
Burnside "makes you wonder, when or if a service, like the FBI, CIA or even us are justified in taking a life without orders to safeguard the country. Well thank God it couldn't happen here"
In a snowy Germany ,SIS minor employee Joan Wyatt is on holiday with a George Stratford-Baker, a cabinet politician . Their car crashes into a tree, Joan in the passenger seat dies, but Stratford -Baker groggily gets out, pulls her body across to the drivers seat, and then scarpers.
Burnside hears about this, and starts the investigation. The German police report states that Joan wasn't driving, the positioning of the drivers chair meant Joan couldn't have reached the pedals. Someone abandoned her. A little digging up gossip in her office reveals she had an important man friend in government. Going through her belongings in Germany a photo of Stratford -Baker is discovered. Burnside is puzzled, Joan was single as is Stratford -Baker, so why should he abandon her in the hope no one would know of his connection with her.
Meantime Willie and Mike have been asked by the US president to liaise with American secret service at senator Heron's funeral.
Ross to Burnside. " typical! The president doesn't trust the FBI and we in the CIA get tarnished as well..Any idea what they'll be doing?"
B " Willie will bodyguard the new senator replacing Heron , Donald O'Shea"
Ross " tough assignment"
Burnside asks Ross to find any information on Stratford -Baker.
The following day,
Ross " Investigation into him coughed up a whole load of nastiness..Joined the communist party after university, wrote several papers on social revolution, went to Moscow made contact with a known KGB agent. Then suddenly nothing , a complete change. Went into the army, then politics. Now with your boys Stateside and Stratford -Baker away, I got Karen here to do over his posh flat"
Karen Milner " under the sink I found a secret compartment with micro dotting equipment , in the desk hidden under some newspapers was a letter from your C to the admiralty about British ships and planned visits to Russian harbours"
Burnside" from Joan Wyatt I presume, helping her boyfriends career"
Ross " looks like you got a KGB sympathizer at least in your cabinet."
What can be done?

Previous episode
https://www.imdforums.com/threads/s02e04-a-question-of-loyalty.4952/
NEXT EPISODE
https://www.imdforums.com/threads/s02e06-operation-kingmaker.4958/

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Burnside tells C his findings.
C " don't move against Stratford -Baker Neil, you could be in deep water,and I might not be here to save you"
B " why sir"
C " even C's have to retire sometime "
In Virginia the funeral of Heron takes place. Willie gives O'Shea specific instructions about getting out the limo and staying close to him, but the Senator doesn't listen, steps away and toward the crowd and a sniper gets him.
Meantime C, Wellingham and Burnside are at the F O.
Burnside" you can't tell me the prime minister knows he has a KGB agent in his cabinet and ignores it!?"
W " he's done exactly that for years. No one has ever seen Stratford -Baker pass anything to any agent, so the PM chooses to ignore it. If he sacked him and it all came out, he'd have to go too"
C " Have to give up everything he has ever worked for all his career"
B " do you mind if I contact Stratford - Baker, privately, try to scare him off?"
W " I've suddenly gone deaf, what about you James?"
C " what was that Geoffrey?"
Burnside intercepts S-B in Hyde park.
B " I'm Joan Wyatt 's boss. I'm investigating why a British cabinet minister abandoned her body after smashing his car into a tree "
SB " where was this?"
B " Germany"
SB " perhaps you should speak to the German police"
B " try that again and I'll smash you into a tree"
SB " perhaps I should call the British police now"
B " do that, and I'll tell them about a cabinet minister with KGB connections. A micro dotting set up under his kitchen sink"
SB " people have the strangest hobbies"
B " and a letter from C in your desk"
SB " yes it's amazing what I get sent anonymously."
B " we'll also tell the PM"
SB " the PM knows the security services hate me because I'm so forthright about them "
B " and the newspapers"
SB " the papers have had so called stories about me for twenty years. Now can I go? Without being smashed into a tree. Nice to chatter"
Burnside recorded that conversation and plays it back to Wellingham
W " leave it alone Neil, he's not worth risking your career"
B " that's what deputy Peele said when I played it to him"
W " take note , you and Peele Will have to get on soon , C has angina and will soon leave. The thought of Stratford -Baker becoming PM fills me with dread though. I wonder what the FBI or CIA would do?"
B " mmm, yes , and I told Ross it couldn't happen here"
Willie Caine is back full of remorse for not saving O'shea, and is up to speed on the Stratford -Baker situation.
C " let me do it. I know you want to"
B " Stratford -Baker is passing through Singapore next month and head of station Lim owes us a favour"
Caine " Lim has good people, he'll help us , however we do it"
Burnside. " your trouble Willie, you have no sense of occasion. There can be only one way we do it....car crash!"
An interesting story, made in1979 when Britain had a labour government. Now Jeremy Corbyn is now about 70, so he would have been about 30 in '79, and already noticeable in the labour movement. I wonder....the actor playing Stratford -Baker isn't like as Corbyn was then, but a younger version of what he looks like now! 8/10

Last edited: