Review The Sandbaggers-S03E06-Who Needs Enemies - a mini transcription

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
One of my favourite episodes, I've beefed this thread up a bit, not a complete transcription, but plenty of dialogue included here.

In Madrid the wife of Cliff Underwood, SIS man returns to their villa. She enters the kitchen and sees a note on the worktop, it reads, " you know why." Alarmed she runs into the garden calling out " Cliff?"
In the swimming pool the body of Underwood floats, dead.
Willie is despatched.
Meanwhile Burnside is having a medical, carried out by SIS doctor Paddy O'Toole who asks probing questions as he examines Neil.
O'T " getting enough sleep?"
B " when I can"

O'T " what about headaches?"
B " only professional ones"
O'T " and your sex life?"
B " that's my business. Well, what's the verdict?"
O'T " oh your fit enough, but try to relax more."
Burnside gets dressed while rather sarcastically saying, " thanks Doc I'll remember that."
After Neil leaves the doc telephones Peele the SIS deputy chief.
P " Hello Paddy, top of the morning to you."
O'T "just seen your man, he is showing signs of stress and is heading for a fall, needs to be rested"
In Madrid Willie has discovered Underwood was turning a Russian diplomat that he met at a party . The Russian, Perchenko, promised Underwood some papers to prove his intent.
Peele gleefully sees C and reports on Burnside 's medical.
( Dennis Burgess is C)
x1080 (1).jpeg
P " I took the liberty of asking Paddy O'Toole to look for stress, he phoned back and confirmed it. Burnside is feared rather than respected and I think that's dangerous. He is riding for a fall. This might be the time to reappraise your departmental directors"
C "what you're saying is , get rid of Burnside."
P " I wouldn't put it as strongly as that sir."
C " how would you put it?"
P " I am beginning to have doubts about his effectiveness. Also he's deceitful and is wealding too much power in this building for my liking."
C " I was under the impression he had mended his ways"
P " probably being more careful sir"
C " okay Matthew I take note of what you say."
Later Burnside reports to Peele the Madrid situation, in the office is Paul Dalgety.
B " Paul says he was expecting something from Underwood any day now, "
P " from this Perchenko"
B " doesn't explain his suicide unless it was stage managed, a killing disguised, the KGB may have discovered Underwood's turning of their man"
P " any ideas on a replacement for Underwood?"
B " not yet, it's not exactly a vital area, Spain"
Neil leaves, leaving the new intelligence director, Paul Dalgety, with Peele. Dalgety is upper class , young, Eton educated, and Neil doesn't like him.
Dalgety waits for Burnside to go then hands Peele an envelope inside is a computer print out.
P " my god, a CIA assessment of SIS strengths and weaknesses. How did we get this?"
D "it may be the fruit of the Underwood operation that Neil mentioned."
P " what is it, second hand goods"
D " I'd say so sir, a CIA double passes it to Perchenko who passed it to Underwood. Not particularly important. "
P " proof of future good intentions. "
D "It came in this mornings diplomatic pouch from Madrid. You see why I didn't say anything just now when you read the entry next to Burnside"
P (reading) " I do indeed, important Burnside doesn't see it"
Peele takes it to C, who reads it out loud,
C " Burnside, an officer who plays a one man band and is causing friction and distrust. They don't mince words"
P " don't need to sir it was never intended for our eyes. Did you speak to Wellingham about our conversation?"
C " yes, he was surprisingly sympathetic, felt moving Burnside would be good for all concerned."
P " then you agree?"
C " yes"
P " I'd suggest a straight swap Dalgety for Burnside"
C " but Burnside couldn't stay here as D Int, we'd have to find somewhere else for him"
P" somewhere he couldn't build another empire"
C " I don't want him to think he's being fired!"
P " Oh there's no need for that."
Willie is in Spain carrying out investigations at SIS office in Madrid, before leaving he had a flaming row with Burnside over his continuing affair with Marianne Straker, Burnside's secretary, which he feels is a security threat. Willie is adamant to continue the relationship, hence this conversation when Burnside phones him in Madrid.
B " what are you doing?"
W " carrying out the brief"
B " stuff the brief"
W " look do you want me to do the job properly or not."
B " I want you to find out why Underwood killed himself. Get off your arse and start digging."
W " look, get off my back, if you don't trust me get someone else out here"
Neil meets Geoff Ross, CIA man based at U.S embassy for a drink, and tells him about Underwood.
allinagoodcause.jpg
R " how did he do it?"
B " drowned himself first in whisky then in his pool"
R " nice one"
B " I can't rule out the possibility of a well disguised hit. Find out what you can Geoff."

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Burnside with Peele,
P " have you considered a replacement for Underwood yet?"
B " not yet no"
P " we're going to recommend you get the job Neil. Congratulations on your promotion Neil!"
Burnside is shocked, almost laughing. Later sitting grim faced in C' office.
C " I understand you are not happy with the appointment in Madrid. It is promotion"
B " sideways possibly."
C " not necessarily, the deputy chief was Head of Station before coming here."
B " he was Head of Station Hong Kong not Madrid. May I know the reasons for this decision."
C " certainly you may it has been apparent for some time to your contemporaries that your tendency to run a one man band is causing friction and distrust. On top of that your medical report indicates signs of stress, and now a vacancy has come up. You've been D Ops for three years, you're due for relief. I've spoken to Wellingham and he has given his blessing"
B " wrapped it up very nicely, you've been angling for a reason to get rid of me ever since you took over"
C " all I've been angling for is you to run your department as efficiently as possible, no more, try to see things from my perspective, I have in you a talented officer, with a good grasp of the nuances of foreign affairs, but you drive yourself too hard, to the overall detriment of SIS. Now a vacancy has arisen"
B " who's taking over?"
C " I have a relief nominated but I'm not prepared to name him, I know you'll give your best before the changeover and I'm putting you forward for an award, so I expect we'll see your name in the new years honours list"
Burnside departs a gutted and embittered man.
A chat with CIA man Geoff Ross in the local McDonalds.
x1080.jpeg
R." Why are they getting rid of you"
B " they say it's stress on my part"
R " perhaps they're right, you sure don't take it easy on yourself. When was last time you relaxed, or read a book"
B " I've got better things to do"
R " so give, who's your replacement?"
B " nothing definite, but Dalgety is looking eager, the old school tie is back in fashion"
R " come on that garbage went out with Philby, do you think he can cope?"
B " he appears to cope extremely well, and as any old Etonian will tell you, that's all that matters"
R " you've got to fight this Neil"
B " well, I think it's too late"
Marianne Straker, secretary, is in Burnside's office;
( Sue Holderness and Roy Marsden)
The-Sandbaggers-010.jpg
M " the buzz is C asked for your personnel file, and Peele inquired about an immersion course in Spanish, I'm right aren't I ?"
B " yes"
M." Look, sack me if you want but certain things need to be said. I wanted to be your secretary no one else's. Even though you appear to be made of steel, it was apparent that you weren't. The things you think are strengths are actually signs of weakness, you are scared of alcohol so you never drink, you are scared of reaching out to people, so you live the life of a monk. The result, you're difficult to work with, and you're getting left in the cold. You see people entering this office, but I see them on the way out. You can't live like that, not for very long, something has to give!" Marianne runs out and puffs out her cheeks in her own office, surprised with herself for having the courage to say all that.
That evening Burnside goes for his usual 2am walk in Leicester Square, central London, not too far from the office.
He is suddenly surrounded by thugs, and kicked unconscious.
The next day ,Peele and Dalgety;
P "any more information about Neil's mugging?"
D " apparently just a simple mugging, Neil often takes a stroll in the small hours"
P "amazing how little one knows someone until something like this happens. Probably a blessing in disguise Paul, gives you a chance to look over your new department before the change over"
D " I've brought myself up to speed on what's happening, and recalled Caine from Madrid"
Dalgety settling in very nicely thank you!

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Willie is back and greets Marianne in her office.
W " where's the boss?"
M " in hospital, he was bopped on the head last night, mugged"
W " I wonder why Dalgety took my call"
M " that's the other news, Dalgety is taking over, the drums have been beating all night"
W " they're getting rid of Burnside?"
M " easing him out"
W " what are they going to do with him?"
M " can't you guess?"
W " no"
M " well there's a vacancy somewhere isn't there?"
W " not Madrid!?"
M " Mike's gone to visit him now."
Sandbagger number 2 Mike Wallace is at the bedside, Burnside looks rough.

MW " got a message for you sir from D Int. He says rest and relax and he's taking care of everything."
B ( sarcastically) " I'll bet he is."
MW " latest rumour is he's going to be the new D Ops."
B " who told you?"
MW " Oh, first hand observation, he's wandering around the office like someone who knows something good about his own future. He's recalled Willie from Madrid and questioned me for an hour today about what I thought of the job."
Dalgety is with C , toadying up to him ,
D " I brought myself up to speed with developments sir, and recalled Caine, so we'll have both Sandbaggers available should they be needed for the Hong Kong operation. "
C " thank you Dalgety. "
Later that day Burnside, with a black eye releases himself from hospital much to the nurse's annoyance. She follows him to the hospital front entrance pleading,
Nurse ," what are you doing Mr Burnside?"
B " discharging myself."
Nurse " Then you're a bigger fool than I thought, Mr Burnside there might be complications."
B " I'm used to those."
(Ray Lonnen is Willie)
1_lohb0kzvsek8zleag2iu0g.png
Back at HQ, Willie hands him a piece of a computer print out he found hidden behind a filing cabinet in Madrid.
W " found it behind Underwood's filing cabinet, looks like he lost it accidentally on purpose"
B (reading) " I don't blame him. Where's the rest?"
W " it was sent by pouch a few days ago. Why didn't you tell me?"
B " I didn't know anything about it. Hang on, are you telling me someone knew we had a CIA printout here and said nothing!"
Neil phones Dalgety asking him to come over to his office.
W " I've heard about Madrid, are you going to fight that?"
B " now I can , I've got something to fight with, let's see how the public school blue eyed boy talks his way out of this"
Dalgety enters, grinning like a man who knows he'll soon have this office as the new D Ops, and whistles at Burnside's black eye.
D " phew, Neil you really shouldn't be here"
B " Caine has discovered why Underwood committed suicide"
D " has he by God!"
B " And I've discovered that you failed to pass the contents of the diplomatic bag that arrived from Madrid."
D " boring stuff, ports and logistics"
B " wasn't there a CIA printout?"
D " erm...yes"
B " why wasn't I shown it?"
D " it was a case of need to know, and as your friendship with Ross is a little too friendly"
B " since when do you decide who gets put on the distribution list?"
D " look Neil, Peele was afraid you'd take it to Ross"
B " well I want to see it now"
D " difficult , Peele has it"
B " okay I'll ask him"
D " please don't Neil, it'll make me look bad"
B " tough, should have thought of that before, it's all a question of whose side you're on"
In Peele's office;
P " it was a question of need to know, and as you'll soon be leaving"
B " come to that has it, Burnside versus the rest"
P " please Neil"
B " okay I'll go to Ross"
P " he's unlikely to play ball, even if he is you don't know what to ask for"
B " I could show him this"
P " what's that?"
B " a CIA report found behind Underwood's filing cabinet, it claims Underwood's wife is a lesbian who's had a string of affairs, now what else do the CIA know about us that we didn't know ourselves?"
Peele takes the printout from his desk.
( Jerome Willis is Peele)
images (3).jpeg
P " very well, but C has stated it is now U.K. eyes only"
Burnside reads it.
B " ha! Friction and distrust I wonder where C got that from"
P " he didn't write it Neil"
B " what do you want, a bowl of water to wash your hands too?"
P " if I was you I'd make a dignified exit Neil. Can I see your portion of the printout"
B " I'll let you have it when I've finished with it sir "
Burnside leaves, Peele goes to see C
P " personally I don't trust him, he's a disappointed and embittered man"
C " you think he'll go to Ross?"
P " I'll lay odds on it"
C " and poison the special relationship"

In the US embassy, Geoff Ross's office.
( Bob Sherman is Ross)
Shutterstock_1394060fi.jpg
B " Cliff Underwood committed suicide because his wife was a lesbian"
R " was she?"
B " you knew before me"
R " okay, how would I know that?"
B ' don't you even read the reports your own office originates?"
R " perhaps that bang on the head did more damage than first thought! Come on Neil, let me in on the secret"
B " the head of CIA London which I believe is you, produced a report on SIS claiming I'm causing friction and distrust and Cliff Underwood's wife was having a string of lesbian affairs"
Burnside thrusts the piece of it he has at Ross who reads it ,
R " okay, where's the rest of it?"
B " Peele has it"
Ross goes to his filing cabinet and removes the original.
Ross (reading) "okay, Burnside, Neil, disliked by the head of SIS for his methods, but has won respect rather than friends, a mainstay of the organization that would be severely weakened without him. Underwood Clifford, a devoted family man with a deep knowledge of his job. That's it Neil, that's all we said, you've been set up, along with the whole of SIS"
Burnside is showing the true report to Peele and C.
C " so it was the KGB"
B " yes, they set Perchenko up as a double, pass the fake report to Underwood, who passed it to us, knowing we'd believe anything printed on official looking CIA printout"
P "who needs enemies when we've got computers"
C " do you want to remain D ops?"
B " offer based on an SIS assessment or a CIA one?"
C " my assessment of you Burnside"
B " then I accept sir"
Burnside jauntily leaves the office , Dalgety is coming toward him smiling as usual and nods at Neil, who smiles back, he knows when Dalgety steps into C's office that smile will soon vanish.
9/10
Next episode

Last edited: