News Sabrina the Teenage Witch: TV SHOW IN DEVELOPMENT

Discussion in 'TV: Announced' started by Doctor Omega, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Sabrina_the_teenage_witch.jpg

Sabrina
    Jaz Sinclair (“Easy,” “The Vampire Diaries”) has been tapped to co-star opposite Kiernan Shipka in the untitled series based on the character Sabrina from the “Archie” comics at Netflix.

Picked up with a two-season, straight-to-series order, the series reimagines the origin and adventures of the comic book character Sabrina the Teenage Witch as a dark coming-of-age tale. Sinclair will take on the series regular role of Rosalind Walker, the outspoken daughter of Greendale’s minister and Sabrina’s (Shipka) best friend.

Creation
    Sabrina the Teenage Witch debuted in Archie's Madhouse (the logo sometimes given as Archie's Mad House) #22 (Oct. 1962). Created by writer George Gladir and designed by artist Dan DeCarlo, she first appeared in that humor anthology's lead story (the logo then spelled "Teen-Age"),[3] and eventually became one of Archie Comics' major characters, appearing in an animated series and a television sitcom. Gladir recalled in 2007:

"I think we both envisioned it as a one-shot and were surprised when fans asked for more. We continued to do Sabrina stories off and on in Mad House until 1969 when we were flabbergasted to hear it was to become an animated [TV series]. When it came to naming Sabrina I decided to name her after a woman I recalled from my junior high school days ... who was very active in school affairs, and who assigned a number of us to interview prominent people in the media. In addition, the woman's name had a New England ring to it. Some years later I recalled the woman's name was not Sabrina, but actually Sabra Holbrook."

2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Photo: Salem the Cat In Netflix’s “Sabrina”

photo-salem-the-cat-in-netflixs-sabrina-696x464.jpg

“Riverdale” showrunner Roberto Aguirre Sacasa has released the first photo of the title character’s pet cat Salem in the upcoming “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” series reboot at Netflix.

Based on the Archie Comics graphic novel “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina,” the Netflix series hails from Aguirre-Sacasa, Lee Toland Krieger, Jon Goldwater, Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.

Kiernan Shipka stars as Sabrina opposite Jaz Sinclair as her best friend. In the comics, Salem was a witch sentenced to spend a century as a cat with no magical powers. Last year the series scored a twenty-episode, two-season, straight-to-series order at Netflix.

3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Sabrina

Bronson Pinchot (“Perfect Strangers”) has scored a key recurring role in Netflix’s untitled Sabrina the Teenage Witch series which has scored a two-season, straight-to-series order.

The dark coming-of-age stars Kiernan Shipka as the titular young woman wrestling to reconcile her dual nature as a half-witch, half-mortal while fighting the evil forces that threaten her and the world. Pinchot will recur as George Hawthorne, Baxter High’s villainous and puritanical principal who is a constant thorn in Sabrina’s side.

4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator