Scene by scene Catweazle s02e07 - The Enchanted King

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
In King's Farthing the home of the Collingfords, Lord Collingford (Charles) is having problems with the TV set. He and handyman Groome are in the tv room trying to get it working, there's sound but no picture.
G " I don't know what you've done to it my Lord"
LC " I haven't done anything to it Mr Groome "
Charles raps top of tv with knuckles, the sound stops.
G " you have now...the sounds gone , you need a proper qualified engineer for this"
LC " then I'll miss the match, isn't there anything you can do?"
G " these things don't last forever my Lord, not without very careful maintainening " (sic)

LC " are you suggesting we oil it?"
G " oil it?!..no no ( head in hands)..I'm suggesting we leave it to warm up while the children's programmes are on"
LC " very well Groome we'll do that. Is that sculpture chappie still here?"
G " think so my Lord"
Moray Watson and Peter Butterworth are Charles and Groome.
MV5BNzg1OGVlY2QtODU4ZC00ZTlkLWIyZmYtODgwOTM0MzJmZmQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

michaellevenson

In the drawing room John Gobbling, sculpture extraordinaire is showing Lady Collingford, Dotty photos of his work, an array of photos litter the floor.
MV5BMjdiYTUwNDQtNzIwYi00ZDNlLWI4OGUtYzk5YzVmMTk5MDNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
Gb " ah, here's my creation of man"
Gobbling hands Dotty photo.
LyC " goodness me"
Gb " reinforced concrete 25 feet high, what do you think of that "
LyC " very powerful " ( hands photo back)
Gb " I worked much bigger in those days of course. The piece you are unveiling today is only life size"
LyC " I'm sure it will be quite big enough for me Mr Gobbling "
Elspet Gray and Graham Crowden are Dotty and Gobbling.
MV5BOThmYzZjYWEtNzhlYy00MTE3LWExYTMtMmJjODdiYjU5MjA2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

michaellevenson

In Duck Halt, the disused railway station that is home to Catweazle, he is putting ingredients into a fire in a cauldron while calling on the spirits.
C " come infernal, terrestrial, and celestial demons. Come O Mobus, come O Miribus, come O Glaziabalos. Servants of the zodiac, spirits of the brazen vessel show thyselves, lead me to the sign of the balances."
No answer from the spirits.
C " nothing works....mayhap Owlface will lead me to the sign "
Geoffrey Bayldon is Catweazle.
MV5BZDE2MmNhNDktNDBhOS00MTQ2LTliZmYtN2ZkMDBkNDY4NDcyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

michaellevenson

Back at King's Farthing

Charles enters,
LyC " ah..my husband "
Gb " Lord Collingford "
LC " how do you do"
LyC " Mr Gobbling has been showing me photographs of some of his work Charles "
LC " oh..er yes"
Gb " let me show you Hercules, Bogota railway terminus 1950"
Gobbling hands Charles photo who looks at photo sort of lost for words.
LC " erm...interesting."
MV5BODIzZTE3ZjMtMzVhMy00OWQ2LWEyMGUtZGJlZTA2MDkzZjRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Catweazle enters the hallway at King's Farthing, quietly whispers,
C " Owlface...Owlface?"
Cedric isn't around, Catweazle creeps down a corridor and into tv room, where the television is on but still with no sound or picture. Suddenly though there is both, a voice is heard,
" stop I command thee"
Catweazle spins round locating voice, a jackanory type program is on, a man sitting telling a story to viewers, of course Catweazle thinking it's real.
Storyteller " there was a long pause while the wizard looked carefully around. Nobody dared move, you are in my power said the wizard"
Catweazle throws himself to floor kneeling in front of tv.
C " art thou a demon?"
Storyteller " and I shall turn you into stone "
C " mercy I beg thee!"
Storyteller " slowly the King, Queen and all the courtiers turned into stone. Then without another word the wizard vanished. What now, how can the spell be broken and the King set free?"
C " I know not O demon "
Storyteller " ...and the evil wizard punished "
C" where does he live?"
Storyteller " can you guess?"
C " nay tell me O demon "
Storyteller " tomorrow I will be here again "
The picture fades, only static is heard.
C " come back O demon, not on the morrow tell me now. (rapping knuckles on tv set top) come back O demon, come out of thy house. I know that you are in there O demon"
Catweazle knocking on the set top changes channels, a train hooting as it roars along is heard.
C "AAARRGGHH...." He runs out.
catw0207.jpg
Peter Bayliss is Storyteller.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Catweazle runs into the hall and sees Cedric.
Cd " Catweazle what are you doing here?"
Catweazle looks to get out the front door, but Groome is on the motorised lawnmower.
Cd " quick that way...come on"
They run off to get to the side entrance. They pass the drawing room, Cedric motions Catweazle to stay quiet, inside Gobbling is still with Charles and Dotty.
Gb " stone is so permanent you see, if I turned you into stone you'd last 1000 years.
I could turn your whole family into stone if you like"
LC " no no really"
Gb ( laughs) " well not all of you then just your heads"
Catweazle shocked, it must be the wizard turning people to stone.
Cd " come on"
They hide Charles Dotty and Gobbling come out of the room and go towards the hall.
Gb " see you at the town hall Lady Collingford "
LyC " Groome will pick you up at 3"
Catweazle ,face of anger as he sees them walk off.
C " tis he?!"
Cd " Mr Gobbling "
C " tis no goblin tis the wizard, I will lay a curse on him"
Cd " why?!"
C " if I destroy his power thy demon will lead me to the sign of the balances "
Cd " for goodness sake Catweazle, go back to Duck Halt and have a lie down"
Cedric opens side door and pushes Catweazle out, locks door as Charles and Dotty return.
LC " I thought he'd never go "
LyC " so did I "
L " oh Cedric...what have you been up to?"
Cd " ....er nothing "
Gary Warren is Cedric.
MV5BZjdlOTg2MTctYjBhMi00ZmViLTk0ZDUtMjk4N2ExOTdjNDU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Catweazle on his tricycle has followed Gobbling to his workshop, a cottage located on the outskirts of Elderford. In yard outside an example of Gobbling's work, a statue of a horse Catweazle nervous as he passes it and enters premises.
x720.jpeg
Various statues dot the workshop, most unfinished, all made from plaster of paris, no sign of Gobbling as Catweazle studies these strange surroundings.
MV5BMmIzNmIyOGQtOTdiZi00NThhLTlkZmMtNGE2ZTJjNTIzMDRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

michaellevenson

The statue that Gobbling is working on is one of a King, statue half painted, a blue robe and yellow crown, Catweazle studies it sadly and whispers to statue.
C " fear not O King I am sent by a demon to set you free. I will soon release thee."
MV5BMTlkYTg0NjktN2U2MS00YTA0LTgxMzYtYzBkYzk2ZmRlZWFhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg
C " Shempamparash "
Catweazle disappointed as nothing happens,
C " once more be thy flesh and bone, breathe again and melt the stone"
Still nothing, he then dances around statue and in a melodic sing song voice repeats spell.
C " once more be thy flesh and bone breathe again and melt the stone"
Catweazle in despair, tries something else, Gobbling meanwhile has entered and is standing watching this.
C " nothing works.....( pointing) galbaze galbat, galdat!!! awake O King"
Gobbling grabs him by his robe,
Gb ( shouts) " WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE UP TO!?"
40340B1900000578-4496210-image-m-33_1494513312644.jpg

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Charles and Dotty all dressed ready for the unveiling at the Town Hall , walk to vintage roadster where Groome opens the door for them.
LyC " I do hope I'm going to be alright, I feel very nervous "
LC " course you'll be alright Dotty darling"
Dotty gets in back of car, as Cedric suited up appears.
LC " ah here's Cedric "
Cd " do I really have to come?"
LC " course you do, your mother is making a speech"
They all get in and the car drives off.
MV5BYTgzZjhmYzgtYWMzZi00ZDBhLWExNTAtM2UwMjFhNTAzN2MzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Meanwhile at Gobbling's workshop Catweazle is hiding behind wooden boxes scared witless, making hissing noises.
C " ppsstt...ppsstt. "
Gb " this is ridiculous, what's the matter with you man come out"
C " nay you will turn me into stone"
Gb( shouts) I'LL WHAT!"
C " the demon told me in the demon box"
Gb" WHAT ARE YOU BABBLING ABOUT "
C (points) algar, telgar, tetragram"
Gb " COME OUT"
Gobbling grabs him by collar and hauls him to his feet "
Gb " WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE "
C ( simpering) " nothing O mighty one"
Gb " on the scrounge weren't you"
C " harm me not"
Gb " shouldn't think you've done a day's work in your life"
C " I beg...I beg "
Gb " yes I bet you do, begging is easy isn't it, as long as someone's fool enough to fall for it "
C " mercy"
Gb " don't worry I'll give you something only this time you'll have to work for it understand?"
C " aye"
Gb " see that broom"
C " aye O mighty one"
Gb " get it "
Catweazle gets broom and brings it to Gobbling.
Gb" sweep up"
C " up? "
Catweazle holds broom above head and makes a sweeping motion.
Gb " no you idiot, the floor"

Catweazle starts sweeping floor as Gobbling returns to work, Catweazle moves over to statue of King.
C " fear not O King I will release thee"
Gb " when you've swept up you can clean those buckets over there"
Gobbling goes over to King statue with palette with more plaster on it and continues working on statue.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

The Collingfords have arrived at the Town Hall, a large building located by the edge of the woods that surround Elderford.
MV5BYmVmMWQ3OTMtZTI2Yy00ZmU3LTkxMTQtNDBmMDc0YzVjNTg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg
The mayor greets them,
My " Lady Collingford so nice to see you, and Lord Collingford welcome , the big moment has arrived "
Cd " Dad can I go with Mr Groome to pick up Mr Gobbling?"
LC " very well Cedric, don't be too long "

Back at Gobbling's Catweazle picks up something wrapped in newspaper, he unwraps it to reveal a plaster cast hand.
C " urgh "
He throws it on floor, Gobbling SHOUTS a lot.
Gb " YOU GREAT OAF"
Gobbling picks up hand, now missing a finger,
Gb " YOU'VE RUINED IT...GET THE STEPS"
Catweazle puzzled, Gobbling ballistic,
Gb " THE STEPS "
Catweazle sees step ladder against wall, he picks it up and walks towards Gobbling.
Gb " LOOK OUT"
Catweazle manoeuvres the steps to avoid knocking into a statue, but bashes Gobbling who falls to floor, emptying palette of plaster all over himself.
C " pardon O mighty one"
Gb " FOOL"

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Groome and Cedric arrive in the car,
G " well we're here "
Cd " yes"
Groome gets out and walks towards Gobbling's workshop.

Inside Gobbling is holding bucket of plaster, puts his hand in and takes out a handful of wet plaster.
Gb " where are you....you maniac I'll fix you"
Catweazle hiding again, Gobbling sees him and flings plaster, landing on Catweazle's robe.
C ( looking in horror)" no not stone, not into stone " He runs towards door
Gobbling takes aim with whole bucket and hurls contents in Catweazle's direction, but misses as Catweazle ducks, the whole lot ends up all over Groome standing in doorway.
MV5BYTE0NWEyZDMtZDNkZS00ZDM3LWI1NjMtNDAxZDEyNzhkMmE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg
Gb " who are you?"
Groome tries to wipe plaster off face.
G " Groome...come to pick you up "
Gb " stay there don't move there's a maniac on the loose. ( hands him fresh bucket of plaster) Take this"
Catweazle backs away from Gobbling, dodges him and runs to door.
Gb " NOW..LET HIM HAVE IT"
Groome hurls contents in Catweazle's direction, again he ducks, this time Gobbling gets the lot over him. Catweazle panicking backs into a shelf , shelf collapses , an opened bag of dry plaster powder tips over him.
MV5BNjhjYWUwZDUtMTYyYS00Y2EwLTllOGQtMTkzOWVhZTc5NTVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Catweazle runs out, Cedric astonished to see him.
Cd " Catweazle?"
C " the wizard...the wizard..hide me"
Cedric opens car boot, Catweazle climbs in.
Gobbling and Groome run out,
Gb " where did he go?"
Cd " who?"
Gb " WHERE ARE YOU, I'LL TEAR YOU TO PIECES...he's hiding somewhere the old devil"
Groome angry with plaster all over him.
G " just wait till her Ladyship hears about this"
Gb " AARRGGHH the unveiling "
Cd " you're not going to go like that"
Gb " oh god no....hang on a minute "
Gobbling runs back inside.
MV5BZjcyODFhMTctMzkxMC00MzNjLTg2MTQtZDkxNTk5Zjg5MzVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg
G " these artists are all like this, raving manics the lot of them "
Cd " hadn't you better remove your coat"
Groome gingerly removes his muck covered chauffeurs coat.
G " did you see him?"
Cd " who ?"
G " him...him, he must have come this way"
Cd " no I didn't see anyone "
Gobbling comes back out, looking slightly better, they all clamber into car.

On the lawn outside Town Hall, dignitaries are enjoying wine, champagne and food ahead of the unveiling.
LyC " can't think where they've got to, Charles do you think something dreadful could have happened "
LC " don't worry Dotty darling, they'll be here "
The mayor comes up,
My " we must start in a minute "
The car arrives,
LC " there they are"
My " this way Lady Collingford "
The mayor guides Dotty to the rostrum for her speech.
Gobbling gets out of car, and hurries up to gathering on lawn outside Town Hall.
Cedric reluctant to go,
G " go on up"
Cd " do I have to"
G " yes, now go on"
Richard Caldicot is the Mayor.
MV5BYzU2OGRjNGMtODU3Yi00MzFiLWIyZmYtODkzM2UyNzNiYWE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Last edited:

michaellevenson

The Mayor addresses the audience, Cedric seated next to Gobbling near the back. Charles and Dotty up on stage seated behind the Mayor.
My " my Lord ladies and gentlemen, as you know we are here today for the unveiling of the statue of ..er...er.."( consulting notes)
LyC " Phoebe "
My " yes thank you, Phoebe, the work of John Gobbling who we are proud to welcome here this afternoon "
Audience clap, Gobbling rises from seat to take applause.
MV5BOTlhMzA4NzUtNDgzZS00YjIzLWE4ODgtNTc5N2U0NDEwZjAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg
Meanwhile Catweazle has clambered out of car boot and is running, keeping low, around the unveiling gathering .
The Mayor continues, " so it gives me great pleasure to introduce Lady Collingford and ask her to perform the unveiling ceremony"
Groome standing at the back notices Catweazle crouching down at the edge of the gathering and he sets off silently in pursuit. Catweazle is now at rear of gathering behind the curtains that when opened will reveal the statue, he gasps in awe. The statue is a female, holding a balancing scales, the scales themselves not part of the carving but are real metal scales hooked over the statue's outstretched arms.
MV5BMTU2ZjJmNWMtYTNlZS00NjYwLTgzNGMtMTJlZDJjYmM4MTAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Dotty starts her speech,
LyC " Mr Mayor, ladies and gentlemen it is indeed an honour for me to unveil this beautiful statue. As you all know Mr Gobbling's reputation is international and we are all proud he is a citizen of Elderford. It is indeed a worthy addition to the existing sculpture and will serve to remind us of the cradle of European civilization "
Suddenly a loud crash can be heard from behind curtain.
Dotty pulls cord to open curtains,
LyC " better known to us all as justice, long may she hold sway"
MV5BOTQxZTgyMTUtNWZjYS00Yzg0LWIzNzItNjgwNzlmYjZlMjQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg
The curtains open , the statue has toppled over, Catweazle standing on plinth holding scales, and of course covered head to toe in plastering powder.
MV5BNDNhOTA3MjItZDNiMS00ODFlLThlMmQtMDkwM2UwMjRkOWY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX6...jpg
Groome behind,
G " it's him!"
Gobbling stands,
Gb " IT'S THE MANIAC I'LL KILL HIM"
Gobbling runs forward, both he and Groome make a grab at Catweazle.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

The three wrestle on the stage, the curtains and supporting frame collapses, punches thrown, Catweazle wriggles out from under the curtains covering all three of them, and stands and runs off into woods. Gobbling and Groome standing now, pull the curtains off of themselves,
Gb " WHERE IS THAT LUNATIC?"
But Catweazle is gone.

Back at Duck Halt the next day, Catweazle lying on platform of disused station, the balance scales next to him.
MV5BYjMwNGUxMGEtN2U3MS00N2YyLThhOTEtNTQ3N2YzODc0ZjdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
Cedric is reading from local newspaper.
Cd ( reads) " mystery man ko's justice, rag students deny all knowledge "
C " the sign of the balances, my powers grow stronger "
Cd " Catweazle what am I going to do with you?"
C " it was thy demon that led me to it"
Cd " I haven't got a demon "
C " yes you have in thy demon box"
Cd " what demon box?"
Catweazle makes a square pattern with his finger in the air, the square around his head.
Cd " oh you mean the television set "
C " nay, thy demon box , if only I had one"
Cd " you wouldn't get much magic done then would you"
Cedric reads his paper, Catweazle opens his magic book of spells. Cedric glances over,
Cd " could you teach me to read that?"
C ( smiles) " aye..if thy will teach me thy writing"
Cd " okay, it's about time "
C ( in awe) " about time?"
Cd " no I mean....never mind."
C " I will learn thy magic "
Cd " and I will learn yours "
Cedric offers hand, they shake hands.
Cd " a deal"
MV5BNGU1NDNhMDctYWJiZi00NDUwLWJhYzItMDc0NmFlMDJjOThmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg
THE END

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Next episode covered is s02e08 link below.