Review Schindler's List (1993)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Schindler's List is a 1993 American epic historical period drama film directed and co-produced by Steven Spielberg and scripted by Steven Zaillian. It is based on the novel Schindler's Ark by Australian novelist Thomas Keneally. The film relates a period in the life of Oskar Schindler, an ethnic German businessman, during which he saved the lives of more than a thousand mostly Polish-Jewish refugees from the Holocaust by employing them in his factories. It stars Liam Neeson as Schindler, Ralph Fiennes as SS officer Amon Göth, and Ben Kingsley as Schindler's Jewish accountant Itzhak Stern.

Schindler's List premiered on November 30, 1993, in Washington, D.C. and it was released on December 15, 1993, in the United States. Often listed among the greatest films ever made,[4][5][6] it was also a box office success, earning $321.2 million worldwide on a $22 million budget. It was the recipient of seven Academy Awards (out of twelve nominations), including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Score, as well as numerous other awards (including seven BAFTAs and three Golden Globes). In 2007, the American Film Institute ranked the film 8th on its list of the 100 best American films of all time. The Library of Congress selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry in 2004.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
A few months ago, I rewatched this one for the first time in over twenty years. It's still hard to watch, mostly because it's so beautifully done. The story is wonderful, the acting is superb, and it's shot brilliantly. Ralph Feinnes proves here why he's one of the greatest villain actors of our time. He plays Goeth with absolutely no sympathy. He's a cold, unfeeling monster. Liam Neeson gives a fantastic performance as Oskar Schindler. The movie covers so much of a time frame, yet does it in a way that doesn't feel like anything gets glossed over or passed by. The scene where Schindler has to flee is so powerful, with Neeson giving so much emotion, you feel the pain he does knowing that he might have saved even more souls than he did. It's hard to watch, even knowing how much more explicit the film could have been, but it's a film that should be watched by everybody. Especially in a time like this.

Doctor Omega

Steven Spielberg’s “Schindler’s List” is returning to cinemas to commemorate its 25th anniversary. The film has undergone a new digital remaster, overseen by the man himself, and will be released in 4K, Dolby Cinema and Dolby Atmos where available. The limited engagement will kick off on December 7th.

Doctor Omega

Terry Gilliam criticizes Spielberg and Schindler's List

In a TCM interview, the legendary film director Terry Gilliam reveals his opinion on Schindler's List and Spielberg and mainstream Hollywood in general, saying things that most filmmakers, critics and viewers are too scared to express. He also mentions Stanley Kubrick, compares Kubrick and Spielberg and praises the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey for its thought-provoking ambiguity.

chainsaw_metal1

Now let's talk about the women who have warned other women to never allow themselves to be alone with Mr. Rapey McRapeface.

chainsaw_metal1

Which one? I know Gilliam criticized the #MeToo movement.
I don't remember the actress (my wife told me the original quote, something about not being alone in an elevator with him), but yeah, when #MeToo began, someone outed Gilliam as a real pervert, and frequent sexual predator. Which hurt me deeply, because I have always loved his work.