How Authentic a Trek Show is This?

• This feels like the real deal!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Have these guys even watched the original series?

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I'm still on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Coming off plaudits for her recent work in “The Walking Dead,” actress Sonequa Martin-Green has spoken about her next big challenge – as the lead character in CBS All Access’ “Star Trek: Discovery”.

This sixth official live-action series in the franchise famously marks the first one in which the ship’s captain isn’t the central star, rather its her character – first officer Lt. Commander Michael Burnham. The actress tells TV Line that the show aims to offer a grittier take on the Trek world.

“This iteration of Star Trek is going to have a different take than the others in the Star Trek canon. It’s going to be bigger, rawer and grittier… and the story’s going to build on itself. It’s going to be a tremendous journey. Since Star Trek has always been through the eyes of the captain, to be coming from [his second-in-command’s] mindset is going to be refreshing and challenging in ways that are very thrilling.”

“Star Trek: Discovery” is reportedly to be heavily serialized from the get go, unlike previous shows which were mostly standalone or didn’t get heavily serialised until several seasons in. That said, the show’s darkest (and often best) storylines have been among the more serialized from DS9’s Dominion War to Enterprise’s Xindi arc.

In a separate interview, Martin-Green’s former co-star Andrew Lincoln tells Variety that he’d love to do a guest spot on the series to work with her again: “She’s an incredible personality with incredible grace and strength and tenacity. She’s a very impressive woman. She will be leading that starship with the same class and fortitude. That is going to be one happy spaceship. I’d love to beam myself up at some point in some kind of Greg Nicotero special effects makeup.”

“Star Trek: Discovery” is still in the midst of production ahead of airing later this year.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
“This iteration of Star Trek is going to have a different take than the others in the Star Trek canon.
I think it's worth noting that the production rumors over the last month or so have been pretty scary. TPTB decided to fire the guy who had all the previous ST experience you could want, knew the canon and loved it and desperately wanted this show to do justice to both Gene and the fans. He also wrote the entire first season storyline... each bloody episode. I, personally, don't think they could have done any of this if Majel was still alive but with her gone, there's no one left to fight for show integrity.

The CBS execs decided that it looked "boring" so they scrapped entire sets including the Klingon ships which now look newer than TNG ships ever did and discontinuity is running amok throughout the entire production. Most of the cast and crew included. Many are wondering how they'll get through the first season when the writer/director/primary producer has been fired and CBS (a network with no Trek experience whatsoever) has taken direct control of everything.

That's the reason the air dates keep getting pushed back. Check out the Fan Film PRELUDE TO AXANAR on you tube and then you can connect to a wide variety of commentary and other source material from there. Axanar is a miracle of beauty and storyline with outstanding actors having taken part in it and they're collecting to make part two. But in any case, the future of Discovery looks anything but bright at this point.

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:......... CBS (Contentious Broadcasters Suck)...... No bunnies for you guys!!!

Doctor Omega

CBS Executive Says 'Discovery' Will Be a "Grittier" 'Star Trek'

When Jean-Luc Picard got into huge fight with his brother in 2367, Star Trek had its first and last mud-wrestling scene ever. But now, a CBS executive says Star Trek: Discovery will be even “grittier.”

On Tuesday, CBS Interactive CEO Jim Lanzone spoke to Roger Cheng on the CNETpodcast The 3:59. Though Cheng and Lanzone didn’t get around to mentioning the famous mud scene from the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode “Family,” they did talk a little bit about the feel and themes of the forthcoming show Star Trek: Discovery. In an effort to curb too much speculation, Lanzone was light on specific details for the new show. But, he did claim Discovery will be “original, and in a good way, different than what people have seen before.” Lanzone made it clear that any difference was in the Star Trek tradition, saying each version of the franchise has always “broken new ground.”

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
CBS Executive Says 'Discovery' Will Be a "Grittier" 'Star Trek'

When Jean-Luc Picard got into huge fight with his brother in 2367, Star Trek had its first and last mud-wrestling scene ever. But now, a CBS executive says Star Trek: Discovery will be even “grittier.”

On Tuesday, CBS Interactive CEO Jim Lanzone spoke to Roger Cheng on the CNETpodcast The 3:59. Though Cheng and Lanzone didn’t get around to mentioning the famous mud scene from the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode “Family,” they did talk a little bit about the feel and themes of the forthcoming show Star Trek: Discovery. In an effort to curb too much speculation, Lanzone was light on specific details for the new show. But, he did claim Discovery will be “original, and in a good way, different than what people have seen before.” Lanzone made it clear that any difference was in the Star Trek tradition, saying each version of the franchise has always “broken new ground.”
So... This is still a thing, is it?

Doctor Omega

Rumblings are that it may be in trouble....

The biggest three rumors discussed in this video are:

1. That CBS Chief Les Moonves doesn’t like science fiction and doesn’t have faith in the show.
  2. That Discovery will reboot or reset the Star Trek Prime Timeline.
  3. That Bryan Fuller was fired from Star Trek: Discovery.
As to the first rumor, that Les Moonves isn’t a fan of science fiction, we have no evidence of that at all. All we have to go on is what Moonves has said publicly, that he supports the show and that he thinks of Star Trek as the family jewels.

The second rumor is the biggest to me. If Star Trek: Discovery tries to reset the canon of Star Trek or undo the Prime Timeline it’s going to be a problem with fans. Star Trek is different from a lot of science fiction franchises because it has fifty years of history. This doesn’t mean that Discovery can’t set its own course, but if Discovery tries to change what happened to Kirk and Picard the fanbase is going to be unhappy. If the plan really was to change everything why not set the series after the Nemesis where it wouldn’t conflict with the rest of Trek canon?

Lastly there’s the Bryan Fuller rumors. It’s obvious that Bryan Fuller’s departure from Star Trek: Discovery wasn’t as happy and simple as CBS has said. There was certainly some sort of breakdown between the two parties that caused his departure. There’s no way to know if he was fired or what the real story was right now, maybe we’ll find out at a convention in twenty years.

Doctor Omega

Why they couldn't have set it fourteen years after Nemesis, I have no idea.

That way they would have been able to include cameos from the casts of DS9, Voyager and Next Generation whenever it suited them - all at the age that they are now - and also avoided any continuity cock-ups into the bargain.

But no. They know better.

Sigh. :emoji_disappointed:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Actually, as the average Human lifespan will probably be much longer by then, they could set it 25 or 30 years afterwards.

Mind you, I have no problem with prequels, so long as they know their limits and limitations and remain within them.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Rumblings are that it may be in trouble....
The thing that Penny Dreadful taught me (in all of it's flaming, "Towering Inferno" example of self-destruction through the hubris and greed of man... is that they destroy what we love and don't care who will be left to clean up the ashes of their work when the public has stopped believing the lies and the "Fire Dept"./"Spin Docs" either cannot or will not continue to clean up their messes for them. So that ultimately, what the Networks and studios are in fact, is "The Weeping Angels" of our viewing world.

In the end, their goal is to have us frozen in their version of time & space, unable to move out of our armchairs and away from the screen at all. Unable to question their ridiculous stories because we cannot think for ourselves. Unable to move, frozen in time & space without the ability to either clean the drool from our mouths, eat or to pee because they've locked us into their "viewing chair", stuck us in their timeline where there are no fans with the memory of what really happened and therefore no one to complain about their bastardization of it. Stuck in the world in which they dismantled IMDb because it had too many members doing too much research who were able to claim "F-O-U-L" which in turn affected their ratings because it was a site so big that it actually could sway public opinion. Then, we refused to shut-up about it when we were told to just say nothing and accept their lies as truth. Penny Dreadful proved that there were no spin docs. on Earth that could save him (John Logan) from his ego, his lies or his sudden appearance as a Dalek pointing his destruct-o-ray at his own show and screaming "exterminate" and then disappearing into another timeline so he wouldn't even have to be there for the third season when the show, did in fact, get blown entirely off the face of the TV landscape.

Now, CBS (Corporation Broadcasters Suck) is trying to do it to ST Discovery. So once again with the lies, onward with the justifications and hands clapping with glee and laughter that IMDb is now gone so there's no one left to cry BS while they try to rewrite a history they know nothing about and would rather destroy the whole world and history of (read: "Universe") than to admit they're wrong, or worse yet, that there's a possibility that the fans aren't doddering old idiots who don't have the energy left to take the fight right back to them..... wrongo oh evil, bubble-covered robots, bent on the destruction of The Doctor (Ooooops..... ST Discovery ) and the Universe we are sworn to protect!

They will never win! At this rate, the buzz on the show will kill it before it even airs. So even if Majel isn't here to defend what Gene stood for and the Producers/Directors/Writers (Bryan Fuller) who remember and wanted to honor it have been fired because they got in the way of a studio that can't have any vision of a show they've never seen! Well we, the fans, can screw them up the arse anyway!

I was so excited for this show. I watched and listened while they pushed back the start date and even though I knew very well what it meant, I still held onto my hope. Well, "F" 'em! We have, gentlemen, what is referred to as an "off button".... and we know how to use it! We'll teach others to use it too and we'll do it for free! Advertising is worthless when you're fighting people who are just giving the information away for free!

So go ahead and air your bastardized version of what could have been a beautiful thing. Spend billions on "trying to get it right" when you've already fired the guy who did. Sell advertising spots and then surrender them because STD (Huh.... if you just use the initials of the show you get STD.... who knew?!) is going to be the show you launch your Pay-per-view new dross station on anyway. Then, when it collapses right out from under you.... and takes your "money channel" with it.... you can come back here and we'll tell you "We told you so"!!!!!....... and we'll even do it for free!

Because at this point, I gotta ask myself what happens when you schedule a show and no one.... absolutely no one..... shows up to watch?

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And in the meantime..... would any of you gentlemen like "The Boot"? :emoji_boot:.... You certainly deserve it! :emoji_no_good: :emoji_shrug:

Hux

Member: Rank 6
I'm still hopeful.

The cast is superb and there's a clear vision behind the whole season. It should also look great given the production costs.

Doctor Omega

tmS7DuZ.jpg

An actual trailer!!!!

Strangely, CBS seem to be randomly blocking this trailer, so not sure how long this link will be valid...

Last edited: