Review Series 11 (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last week saw the departure of Peter Capaldi as the twelfth incarnation of The Doctor and the arrival of Jodie Whittaker in the role following an explosive regeneration in the “Doctor Who” Christmas special.

It also saw the TARDIS’ interior engulfed in flame as Whittaker’s Doctor was flung from the vehicle miles above the Earth and was last seen falling fast as the ship disappeared from sight.

With her arrival, the show undergoes its biggest reboot since the Tennant-to-Smith change as new showrunner Chris Chibnall takes over from Steven Moffat and will bring a new tone and sensibility to the series.

Rumor is the series will adopt an approach similar to the Jon Pertwee years – with most of the stories effectively taking place on contemporary Earth as opposed to wild adventures across time and space. That means the TARDIS won’t be used for much of her first season, in any case when it does come back it will have a whole new look and so the late Smith & entire Capaldi-era TARDIS set has been packed up and put into storage.

Doctor Omega

most of the stories effectively taking place on contemporary Earth as opposed to wild adventures across time and space. That means the TARDIS won’t be used for much of her first season,

Not exactly a dynamic start for this bold new era of the show.

The last time they did this, of course, was simply a cash-saving exercise at the start of the Pertwee era.

Some fans are speculating that Torchwood is what Chibnall knows, so he is going back to that kind of Earth-bound dynamic.

And, doubtless, this means we are going to have soap opera nonsense with the companions as well.

No, no, no! Get out there and get adventuring! The past! The future! Other planets! And an alien companion, or one from the far future or the distant past would help matters a bit too!

None of these sensible and interesting things will happen of course.

Earthbound...

Sheesh! :emoji_head_bandage:

Doctor Omega

Billie Piper May Return To 'Doctor Who'
If true, I think it's a mistake and, to me, comes across as mildly desperate on the BBC's part, as if they are trying to revive past glories to prop up an ailing franchise.

"The show was a hit in 2005 with Billie in it! The show is ailing now! Let's bring her back!" seems to me to be the (i.m.o. flawed) logic behind this.

I am, frankly, sick of Rose returning at this stage and any power in her (first departure) on that beach has long since gone.

Doctor Omega

“Doctor Who” Getting A Massive Overhaul

doctor-who-gets-a-massive-overhaul-696x464.jpg

The BBC’s “Doctor Who” continues to get a massive overhaul ahead of the debut of its new The Doctor (Jodie Whittaker), new showrunner (Chris Chibnall) and new writers with the first episodes targeting a September launch.

Late last week it was confirmed that “Interstellar,” “Blade Runner 2049” and “Ex Machina” visual effects firm Double Negative will be handling the visual effects for the next series. Their most recent TV work was on Netflix’s “Altered Carbon” and they replace the team at Milk VFX which has been with the series since its ‘restart’ in 2005.

The new visuals come hand in hand with a more ‘cinematic look’ for the new season which includes the use of Cooke and Angenieux anamorphic lenses (used on such films as “Moonlight” and “Hacksaw Ridge”) after the BBC recently secured them.

It’s not just the visuals getting overhauled though as Murray Gold, the man who has served as the show’s composer since 2005, won’t be returning either reports Syfy. Appearing at Gallifrey Con, where he received a minutes-long standing ovation for his work, he confirmed his exit. His replacement hasn’t been revealed at this point.

Finally The BBC has just released the show’s new title treatment which you can see below:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Looks more like an American series about a woman trying to find herself in the wilderness and discovering she hasn't rang her Mother to say she's going to be home late instead of Doctor Who!!! Pitiful!
JB

Doctor Omega

Just an observation here - and probably entirely subjective and irrelevant, but this is what immediately came to mind upon watching that snippet thing......

MV5BMTIxNzAwNjQ4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjgzMzE2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Doctor Omega

The new visuals come hand in hand with a more ‘cinematic look’ for the new season which includes the use of Cooke and Angenieux anamorphic lenses (used on such films as “Moonlight” and “Hacksaw Ridge”) after the BBC recently secured them.

Doctor Omega

It's the 2005 movie. I didn't mind that effort so much, or the Rise of the Silver Surfer movie, but I thought that they messed up the presentation of Galactus.

Yes, the 2015 thing was a strange disaster and plans have been afoot for a "child-friendly reboot" again. Time for the FF to return to Marvel.

Gavin

VIP
It's the 2005 movie. I didn't mind that effort so much, or the Rise of the Silver Surfer movie, but I thought that they messed up the presentation of Galactus.

Yes, the 2015 thing was a strange disaster and plans have been afoot for a "child-friendly reboot" again. Time for the FF to return to Marvel.
The 2005 version was a long way from perfect but they got the characters and their relationships mostly right. Biggest issues were the pacing and villain (and Galactus, but I suspect if they'd gone to a 3rd movie, they may have remedied that and we'd have found out that we hadn't seen Galactus - only an asteroid field concealing/shielding him).

The 2015 movie had an interesting concept and might have been a good movie if they'd had the courage to stick to it rather than refilming half the movie to try to create a generic superhero movie. But regardless of how good the movie might have been, it would never have been a good Fantastic Four movie because the characters only bore the faintest resemblance to their comic book counterparts. And the key dynamic of the FF comics is the family dynamic between the lead characters which was entirely absent from that movie.

Bring on the Fox acquisition and the MCU reboot.

johnnybear

Yes, the films and television of today seems to be against guys in costumes! Galactus, the giant guy with his purple helmet and armour (which was red, green and something else in FF#48 as I recall) may not have gone down well with audiences of 2007 but to replace him with a cloud??? Come on!!!
I didn't bother to watch the new film but if they are going to revisit the FF and do it properly then they need to stop thinking that Doctor Doom also got his powers from the FF like in the first film and go and do a film with The Frightful Four and get Tom Church back as Sandman from Spider-Man 3 but I'll bet that route would be tied up with legal rubbish yet again!
JB

Gavin

VIP
Yes, the films and television of today seems to be against guys in costumes!
I don't object to some minor tweaking of costumes. What works in a comic book generally isn't exactly transferable to the screen, especially some of the women's costumes, where they're effectively wearing a g-string and nipple caps. But any translation to the screen has to have some link to the comic version. Wonder Woman did a great job with the costume, enough links both in form and colour to the comic version, but also a level of acceptable realism that allows an actual person to wear the costume.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
What works in a comic book generally isn't exactly transferable to the screen, especially some of the women's costumes,
I'm immediately reminded of Olivia Munn's costume for X-Men: Apocalypse. While impractical in the comics, it's par for the course. In the film, it just looks silly (even if she looks hot in it).

johnnybear

The soap in space? It looks awful to be honest! No more space invasions or temporal incursions but The Doctor sorting out his pals 'love' lives and their parents! :emoji_angry:
JB