Review Series 11 (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Am now tentatively looking forward to it, with the promise of a new Doctor (Kris Marshall?) and a new showrunner.

Last edited:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I've been "rumor diving" for info on the new Who and have seen more than a few sources (one I give some credibility to and one I give serious weight to) that lead me to have some very real hope for the next possible choice of actors for the part. IF (and yes, all caps because it's a very complicated possibility), this person is the choice, it would explain the reason we wouldn't see the next series start before late 2018 and I'm as excited for the potential as I was when @AntMac and I gave a passing thought to the notion of James Nesbitt getting a turn in "The Blue Box".

This actor also comes with a built-in and well-deserved, screamingly loyal fanbase that could conceivably add/gather millions of viewers to the show just to see him in the part.

I'm not revealing a name because I could be completely off base and don't have enough justifiable evidence to do so but I will say that just the notion of this actor in this role, with someone new at the helm, could change the course of the show like an out-of-control wild fire and my panties are all in a twist with jumped up euphoria! So I'm going to keep digging and keep hoping and we'll see how it all plays out. Also, I don't want to jinx it by sharing a name too soon.

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: and not enough bunnies in the "Whoniverse" to do justice to how thrilled I am :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:..... seriously!

Doctor Omega

Doctor Who series 11: Pearl Mackie doesn't know if she's staying
Pearl Mackie isn't sure if she wants to stay on with Doctor Who after Peter Capaldi, and stresses that it's not up to her...

000.jpg

Details about Doctor Who series 11 are scarce right now. We know that Broadchurch showrunner Chris Chibnall is stepping in to take the reins from Steven Moffat (overlord of Who from series 5-10), with help from incoming executive producer Matt Strevens.

And we know that Peter Capaldi won't be the Doctor anymore (sob!), with Kris Marshall, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Ben Whishaw and many more coming up in the bookies' favourite replacement lists. But that's about it, at this stage...

It seems that Pearl Mackie, who's currently starring in the show as Bill, doesn't know much about the show's future, post-Capaldi, either.

During an appearance on This Morning, Mackie was asked if she'd like to stick around after Capaldi departs, and she offered this response...

“I don’t know, I mean it’s not up to me… Peter’s such a wonderful Doctor, and I think the dynamic that he and I have playing The Doctor and Bill together is something that really works. That’s not to say it wouldn’t work with a different Doctor. But, yeah, it’s always a new adjustment, getting a new Doctor. Inevitably the dynamic is different because your different actors. And different characters.”

You can watch the full interview here...

It remains to be seen, then, if Mackie's Bill will be a one-series wonder or a continuing presence on the show after series 10.

Both Steven Moffat and his predecessor Russell T Davies chose to start their tenures with a new Doctor and a new companion, so it wouldn't be surprising if Chris Chibnall did the same. Whoever follows Capaldi could well have a brand new supporting cast around them.

But still, Mackie has done wonderful work in the opening half of series 10, and this fan - along with plenty of others - would love to see her stick around. It would be nice if they could at least leave Bill alive for a potential comeback at a later date.

Doctor Omega

Doctor Who contender Luke Treadaway responds to casting rumours

His tweet is sure to set the hares racing...

Doctor_Who_contender_Luke_Treadaway_responds_to_casting_rumours.jpg

Luke Treadaway has delivered a mysterious response to RadioTimes.com’s report that BBC bosses are sizing him up to become the thirteenth Doctor.

The Fortitude star posted this gnomic tweet in response to our story:

"Sure"

What can it mean? Does this suggest that he is up for it – or was it a sarcastic response indicating that he doesn’t think he will be picked?

Whatever the answer it appears that his fans are very keen for him to be handed Peter Capaldi’s Sonic Screwdriver.

As RadioTimes.com revealed yesterday, the star is understood to be "in the race" for the role, according to a source on the show with actor Sacha Dhawan another contender.

Treadaway is said to have interested the Doctor Who producers following his work as young scientist Vincent Rattrey in Sky Atlantic's gory thriller Fortitude. He has also appeared as Alex "Hurricane" Higgins in BBC drama The Rack Pack and played busker James in British film A Street Cat Named Bob.

Kris Marshall, the former Death in Paradise star, was thought to have been a shoe-in for the role which is still being cast. But now it seems he has other serious rivals.

One thing that does seem likely at this stage is that the BBC will resist plumping for a woman for the part having considered the move early in the process and ruling it out.

The BBC has declined to comment on any of the casting speculation.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I think they are all a bit too much like Matt Smith for my liking. PC really left me believing that we need a new Doc. "Who" is completely unlike any other we've seen... but that's just me.

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

Doctor Omega

Former Doctor Who showrunner, Russell T. Davis, appeared at the British LGBT Awards this week and confirmed that the actor playing the next incarnation of The Doctor has been officially cast.

Davies says: “I do know who it is.”

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Thank God! I was terrified you'd think he was talented and we'd have to agree to disagree....
:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And just for you AM :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancer::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers: Oh my, I'm in with my DBs!
Oh, don't worry, we're not alone in our opinion about RTD.

There are others...

I can't in good conscience say that I am against him 100%, because I did enjoy or like the odd concept or serial that appeared during his tenure, but in general, I was far from impressed overall.

Doctor Omega

An article from the Radio Times on the 13th June....

New Doctor Who boss Chris Chibnall has some bold and innovative ideas for the show

The incoming showrunner gives his first hints of what his approach will be

Chris-Chibnall-ultimate-Doctor-Who-fan.gif

It looks like new Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall is set to shake up the long-running sci-fi drama when he takes over at the end of the year.

In an interview with Television, the in-house magazine of the Royal Television Society, Chiball says that all options are on the table for the programme, including a whole-series storyline of the kind he pursued on three series of Broadchurch.

Asked if this approach were possible, he replied “yes”, adding that "what the BBC was after was risk and boldness” when they approached him for the job.

Admitting that he resisted accepting the role “for a very long time”, Chibnall said the BBC had agreed with his ideas for the show – somewhat to his surprise.

“I had ideas about what I wanted to do with it," he said. "When I went to them and said, ‘This is what I would do’, I actually expected them to say, ‘Ooh, let’s talk about that’, but they said: ‘Great!’”

Interviewer Mark Lawson writes in the same piece: “Chibnall’s general tone suggests that there may be a radical revamp of Doctor Who, which will please those who have suggested the show needs a kick up the Tardis.”

Chibnall’s friend and collaborator, the director James Strong is also quoted in the same piece as saying: “Well, my own completely personal view is that it does. It used to be – and I stress this is my personal opinion – at the heart of the schedule, an unmissable family show and, for some reason, it’s slipped a bit from the national consciousness.

“For me, when it goes towards storylines that are a little bit more for the fans, I think you can lose that general appeal. I think Chris is going to offer a slightly different take on what the show should be.

“I know what a big fan of the show he is and I know how much he feels he has a vision for it," added Strong. “It’s a five-year project. That was a huge decision. He’s in his absolute prime and could have done whatever he wanted, writing-wise. It’s an absolutely wonderful result for Doctor Who. I think Chris, essentially, writes emotional thrillers, and that’s perfect for that show.”

Chibnall is currently involved in the search for a new Doctor, who is likely to appear in an on-screen regeneration when incumbent Time Lord Peter Capaldi leaves the role in the 2017 Christmas special.

Chibnall’s series is slated to begin filming early next year with a likely broadcast in the autumn of 2018, according to sources.

Doctor Omega

Chris Chibnall......

After the news broke today that Whittaker was the new Doctor, Chibnall indicated that he’d always planned for a woman to take the part. “I always knew I wanted the Thirteenth Doctor to be a woman and we're thrilled to have secured our number one choice… The Thirteenth Doctor is on her way,” he revealed.

aw-doctor-who-jodie-whitaker-feature1.jpg

Doctor Omega

Chiball says that all options are on the table for the programme, including a whole-series storyline of the kind he pursued on three series of Broadchurch.

That sounds worryingly like THE TRIAL OF A TIMELORD all over again......

Doctor Omega

Could Kris Marshall be joining Doctor Who after all?

Will the former Death in Paradise star be cast as Jodie Whittaker's companion in space and timey-wimey?

kris-marshall.png

Here’s a thought for Whovians: Thirteenth Doctor favourite Kris Marshall may have missed out on taking control of the Tardis, but could the former Death in Paradise star become Jodie Whittaker’s companion on Doctor Who?

Just maybe. An unnamed 'source' recently suggested to The Sun that Marshall is being lined up as the next assistant, saying: “Kris is a big fan of the show and the BBC are a big fan of his.”

Okay, this unconfirmed story is few lightyears from anything solid, with the BBC offering no hints on the show's future. And remember, the incorrect rumours about Kris Marshall replacing Peter Capaldi on the sci-fi show originated from a similar unnamed source.

However, doesn’t Whittaker’s casting as the Thirteenth Doctor make a male companion more likely? Wouldn’t the BBC want Doctor Who’s leading double act to be a mix of genders to appeal to many as possible? And if so, could that companion be Marshall?

After all, although the star's bumbling acting style we’ve seen in Death in Paradise and Love Actually might not suit The Doctor’s character – normally a head-strong omniscient type – it could lend itself perfectly to a grounded companion.

But, then again, there may not be a need for a new assistant. Pearl Mackie, who played Bill through season 10 has said she’d want to come back to the show, and Matt Lucas’ Nardole is still alive and roaming the Whoniverse.

Here’s just hoping if a new assistant is announced we won’t have to sit through more months of speculation – and another Wimbledon final – to find out if it’s Marshall or not.

Doctor Who will return to BBC1 this Christmas

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
That sounds worryingly like THE TRIAL OF A TIMELORD all over again......
Or promisingly like Torchwood: Children of Earth.

A whole series story-line can work well. As long as the story justifies the full series length. Too often stories like that can be told over 5-6 episodes and need a lot of padding to fill out the full episode run.

Doctor Omega

The new Time Lord will take over from Peter Capaldi this Christmas, but fans will have to wait much longer to see her fully take over the reigns.

Fans will see the leading lady in the closing moments of this year's Christmas special, but series 11 will not be released for almost another year.

New showrunner Chris Chibnall will replace Steven Moffat as the new showrunner after Christmas, but Moffat has now hinted that series 11 will premiere in “late 2018”.

Moffat explained in Doctor Who Magazine that he will remain with the production until Christmas 2017 to ensure Chibnall's availability.

Doctor Omega

Is Bradley Walsh The New “Who” Companion?

is-bradley-walsh-the-new-who-companion-696x464.jpg

Bradley Walsh has been reportedly cast as the new companion for Jodie Whittaker’s The Doctor in The BBC’s long-running “Doctor Who”.

The news comes from tabloid The Mirror which says new showrunner Chris Chibnall is moving away from the casting of young women in the companion role and has instead opted for an older “Coronation Street” star and “The Chase” host.

Chibnall and Walsh previously worked together on “Law & Order: UK” back in 2008. The paper’s source says the hiring won’t affect his role as presenter of “The Chase”: “He loves that show with a passion and so does the audience, so he’s delighted to have found a way to make it all work.”

The BBC has declined to comment on the matter, so Walsh’s involvement is still rumour for now.

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Is Bradley Walsh The New “Who” Companion?

View attachment 2994

Bradley Walsh has been reportedly cast as the new companion for Jodie Whittaker’s The Doctor in The BBC’s long-running “Doctor Who”.

The news comes from tabloid The Mirror which says new showrunner Chris Chibnall is moving away from the casting of young women in the companion role and has instead opted for an older “Coronation Street” star and “The Chase” host.

Chibnall and Walsh previously worked together on “Law & Order: UK” back in 2008. The paper’s source says the hiring won’t affect his role as presenter of “The Chase”: “He loves that show with a passion and so does the audience, so he’s delighted to have found a way to make it all work.”

The BBC has declined to comment on the matter, so Walsh’s involvement is still rumour for now.

Folks Stateside may be unfamiliar with Bradley Walsh, but I've seen him in acting roles before and the comic turned actor turned game show host is certainly capable of bringing something exciting to the show.
I could see him in a Harry Sullivan type role, but with a darker edge. He is a versatile actor, so thumbs up from me.