Review Series 11 (2018)

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Bradley Walsh has been reportedly cast as the new companion for Jodie Whittaker’s The Doctor in The BBC’s long-running “Doctor Who”.

The news comes from tabloid The Mirror which says new showrunner Chris Chibnall is moving away from the casting of young women in the companion role and has instead opted for an older “Coronation Street” star and “The Chase” host.
I'd be quite happy with that casting choice. But since it's been reported by The Mirror I'll wait for someone a little more reputable to report it before I believe it.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I never liked the fact that Moffat had to convince Chibnall over several bottles of wine, to take on the show, which suggests a lack of commitment on Chibnall's part and also that - if he will only do it because Moffat convinced him - then he must be on the same wavelength as Moffat.
Holy crap Doc..... say it ain't so!!!!!! I may have to give up the Doctor for good....... :emoji_scream:

:emoji_kiss: :emoji_dancer:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, it has bothered me somewhat, ever since I read the following.....

Moffat said of his decision to quit: “Feels odd to be talking about leaving when I’m just starting work on the scripts for season 10, but the fact is my timey-wimey is running out. While Chris is doing his last run of Broadchurch, I’ll be finishing up on the best job in the universe and keeping the TARDIS warm for him. It took a lot of gin and tonic to talk him into this, but I am beyond delighted that one of the true stars of British Television drama will be taking the Time Lord even further into the future. At the start of season 11, Chris Chibnall will become the new showrunner of Doctor Who. And I will be thrown in a skip.”

So Chibnall was hardly chomping at the bit to take over.

Not, to my mind, the behaviour of someone who is going to do a turnaround and suddenly have an enthusiastic or passionate vision for the show. Well, not one that lasts for very long anyway.

We shall see how things develop, I guess. :emoji_alien:

Gavin

VIP
Yes, it has bothered me somewhat, ever since I read the following.....

Moffat said of his decision to quit: “Feels odd to be talking about leaving when I’m just starting work on the scripts for season 10, but the fact is my timey-wimey is running out. While Chris is doing his last run of Broadchurch, I’ll be finishing up on the best job in the universe and keeping the TARDIS warm for him. It took a lot of gin and tonic to talk him into this, but I am beyond delighted that one of the true stars of British Television drama will be taking the Time Lord even further into the future. At the start of season 11, Chris Chibnall will become the new showrunner of Doctor Who. And I will be thrown in a skip.”

So Chibnall was hardly chomping at the bit to take over.

Not, to my mind, the behaviour of someone who is going to do a turnaround and suddenly have an enthusiastic or passionate vision for the show. Well, not one that lasts for very long anyway.

We shall see how things develop, I guess. :emoji_alien:
From what I've read and heard it's not that he didn't want to do it. It was more a case of being hesitant due to the workload involved. He is a fan of the show and seems to be interested in developing the show through its next stage.

Doctor Omega

Shooting on series 11 will likely begin in early January, 2018.

Rumour has it that Chibnall might be looking into new ways of writing Doctor Who. While both Moffat and his predecessor Russell T Davies would for the most part develop storylines and episode concepts that they would either write themselves or hand off to others, Chibnall is said to be adopting a writers' room, similar to that used in US television.
Under the new system, Chibnall would lead a group of writers in hashing out storylines for each series together, though the BBC insisted back in 2016 that "no fixed model" for crafting Doctor Who in the new era had been decided upon – at least at that point.

As for directors, Rachel Talalay has helmed seven Who episodes including this year's Christmas special - which makes her the first to direct Jodie Whittaker's Doctor. But, according to Moffat, Talalay "keeps hinting that she won't" return to the series after that.

Whatever happens next, it would appear that the show's future is secure, with a recent press release appearing to confirm not just series 11, but series 12 thru 15.
Chibnall apparently has a "five-year" plan for the series... and he won't be playing it safe. "What the BBC was after was risk and boldness," he said in June 2017.

Doctor Omega

“Doctor Who” Changing Format, TARDIS & More

doctor-who-changing-format-tardis-and-more-696x464.jpg

A new star, a new showrunner and now The Mirror reports that when “Doctor Who” returns it’ll also be adopting a new format along with some more standard upgrades.

The upcoming eleventh season will see “Broadchurch” showrunner Chris Chibnall and actress Jodie Whittaker re-teaming for new ‘Who’ which will adopt a slightly different approach. Since the show’s return in 2005, it has averaged 12-13 episodes per season, each running an average of 45 minutes in length.

With Whittaker’s tenure as the Thirteenth Doctor and first female incarnation of the famed Time Lord, the format will be changed to just ten episodes per season, but each will adopt a full 60 minute runtime.

Whittaker is also getting a new sonic screwdriver, and a whole new TARDIS interior as opposed to a slightly redressed one which current Doctor Peter Capaldi inherited from Matt Smith. This will be the most drastic redesign of the TARDIS interior since 2012.

Whittaker will make her debut in the final moments of this year’s Christmas special as Capaldi and current showrunner Steven Moffat offer up their final episode together.

“Doctor Who” season eleven is expected to premiere late 2018 on the BBC.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I just read this over on Yahoo, and I was reminded why I need to stop reading the comments. The whiners are out in full force. One guy posted at least two dozen times, each one just another sexist comment. Another guy has commented the exact same sentiment on just about every Doctor Who article that has been posted, calling for a boycott.

I get it, some fans aren't happy about the change, and I respect their views. But I get the feeling that the majority of the people on the interwebs making negative comments aren't even fans, and are just out to troll, which really makes no sense to me at all.

Gavin

VIP
Always disappointed to see less episodes but stretching to 60 minutes is definitely a good move. A 45 minute runtime is rarely long enough for a story to be fully developed and when they stretch that to a two-parter there's often not enough story for the full length resulting in filler. I always said that the ideal length for most Doctor Who stories was about 3 episodes in the classic series (so around 60-70 minutes).

Doctor Omega

Doctor Who: Bradley Walsh among new cast members

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41716877

_98428061_dworiginal.jpg

Doctor Who's first female Time Lord will be joined by three new companions, the BBC has announced.
Jodie Whittaker, who takes over as the 13th Doctor next year, will be joined by new cast regulars Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill, as well as Sharon D Clarke in a returning role.

Walsh will star as Graham, Cole will play Ryan and Gill will play Yasmin.

Doctor Omega

I would really like to see a companion that isn't from the modern day suburbia of Earth, complete with a depressingly familiar lack of jeopardy at the perils they encounter, because they are too busy with their usual sassy line in backchat and banter to the Doctor.

I suspect we are about to get more of the same though. :emoji_disappointed:

A terrified and abandoned colonist from an alien world of the far future, or the sole survivor of the Marie Celeste who remembers the Daleks on board....

Just something....

Anything....

Just so long as it is different.

But I doubt it. :emoji_disappointed:

Last edited:

johnnybear

Bradley Walsh, the guy that can't or won't turn down a fast buck! He's the quizmaster on The Chase, part time actor on some ITV Detective shows, and a future goon on Chinball's Mrs.Who for next year, now he's a singer along with that other moron, Alexander Armstrong, another guy who is into the money, and mighty annoying!
JB