News JAMES BOND: No Time to Die (2021)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Next James Bond Targets November 2019

bond-scirbes-talk-post-trump-007-challenge-696x464.jpg

Producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, EON Productions and MGM CEO Gary Barber have announced that the 25th instalment of the James Bond franchise will open in the United States on November 8th 2019.

The film will be written by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, long time collaborators and writers on four Craig-era and two Brosnan-era Bond films. The film will be produced by Wilson and Broccoli.

Additional details regarding distribution, including international release dates, the film’s cast and director, will be announced at a later date.

Doctor Omega

Daniel Craig Is Back As James Bond?

daniel-craig-is-back-as-james-bond-696x464.jpg

Yesterday came the announcement that EON Productions and MGM had set a November 8th 2019 release date for the next film in the James Bond franchise.

Neal Purvis and Robert Wade will return to pen the script, with Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli returning to produce.

The obvious missing elements from that equation were who would star and who would direct, which the press release said would be announced at a later date. Would they get Daniel Craig back for one more outing, or will they reboot?

The New York Times today reports that Craig’s return is a “done deal” according to two sources briefed on the matter and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Craig expressed a desire to move on from the role during one of his first interviews for “Spectre” which followed a gruelling shoot, comments he later stepped back from. “Spectre” grossed a superb $880 million worldwide, but critically was a bit of a dud and considered a step down from the success of the previous entry “Skyfall”.

Doctor Omega

Three Names On The “Bond 25” Director Shortlist

three-names-on-bond-25-director-shortlist-696x464.jpg

Denis Villenueve (“Sicario,” “Arrival”), David MacKenzie (“Hell or High Water,” “Starred Up”) and Yann Demange (“’71,” “White Boy Rick”) have reportedly emerged as the front runners to direct the next film in the James Bond franchise according to Deadline, while Variety says Demange is the top choice.

The film finally announced a release date of November 2019 this week with Neal Purvis and Robert Wade returning to pen the script and Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli returning to produce.

Daniel Craig has been suspected to be returning for months, as per his contract, and with the exception of an official announcement – all indications are he will do so.

That just leaves the question of who will take the helm in the wake of the departure of “Skyfall” and “Spectre” director Sam Mendes. With Christopher Nolan having firmly planted his flag in the “I won’t do it unless I get to reboot it” camp, that leaves these three fine filmmakers.

Demange is finishing up “White Boy Rick” but has nothing slated for after. MacKenzie is working on USA’s western drama series “Damnation” and is developing the Robert the Bruce biopic “Outlaw King”, and Villenueve is putting finishing touches on “Blade Runner 2049” and is planning to tackle a new “Dune” adaptation sometime in the near future.

Doctor Omega

Daniel Craig Returning as Bond

007craig.jpg

After yesterday’s news that the next James Bond movie has been booked in for a November 2019 release, now comes the expected news that Daniel Craig has indeed agreed to return as 007.

The New York Times broke the news, with them citing several sources close to the production as confirming that Craig is indeed returning for Bond 25.

Of course, Craig famously said he’d rather slit his wrists than return as Bond following Spectre, although earlier this year saw reports that MGM were waving a whopping $150 million at the actor for just two more movies. There's no details just yet on whether this will be a one-picture return or whether the Layer Cake actor has been lured in for two films by the prospect of 150 million gold pieces.

Craig’s return has yet to be officially confirmed by the powers that be, but you’d have to think that MGM, Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson would only move to announce a release date for Bond 25 if they’d locked in Craig. As ever, though, expect to hear more on all of this as it continues to develop.

At this stage, the still-to-be-titled Bond 25 is booked in for November 8th, 2019.

Doctor Omega

Daniel Craig Still Undecided On Bond

daniel-craig-still-undecided-on-bond-696x464.jpg

Despite the various reports in the British tabloids which say Daniel Craig’s return to the role of James Bond is a done deal, the actor himself says things are still in limbo.

Speaking with Boston radio show Magic 106.7 during promotional rounds for “Logan Lucky,” the British actor says pretty much straight up where things stand with his fifth outing and the franchise’s overall twenty-fifth film:

“No decision has been made at the moment, there’s a lot of noise out there and nothing official has been confirmed and I’m not, like, holding out for more money or doing anything like that. It’s just all very personal decisions to be made at the moment… I know they’re desperate to get going and I would in theory love to do it, but there is no decision, uh, just yet.”

Naturally, there will be people who say Craig is simply ‘negotiating in the press’ for more money and/or creative control, and it wouldn’t be hard to understand that Craig will have a big say in which director he’d like to work with for likely his final outing in the role.

Doctor Omega

Daniel Craig Confirms One More Bond Film

daniel-craig-confirms-one-more-bond-film-696x464.jpg

After months of uncertainty, and even comments earlier today from an earlier interview in which he said nothing was yet set, actor Daniel Craig has now confirmed that he will return as 007 in the next James Bond film.

Appearing on “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,” Craig was asked about it and his reticence in interviews this week to confirm or deny. Then he said: “But I felt like, if I’m going to speak the truth I should speak the truth to you.”

Then Colbert asked him straight: “Will you return as James Bond” to which he replied: “Yes” and confirmed this will be his last: “I think this is it. I just want to go out on a high note. I can’t wait.”

That would give Craig five official Bond films in all, behind both Sean Connery and Roger Moore’s six and seven respectively, but ahead of Pierce Brosnan’s four, Timothy Dalton’s two and George Lazenby’s one.

Plenty of questions linger regarding the next film with the now obvious one being that of the director. At last report, Yann Demange is the frontrunner, but the speculation will continue for some time yet.

Doctor Omega

Beyonce Rumored For Next Bond Song

beyonce-rumored-for-next-bond-song-696x464.jpg

With the next James Bond film finally coming together, rumors are starting to swirl regarding who shall record the theme song. We’ve already had talk of a potential Adele return, now a new one has come along suggesting Beyonce for the gig.

British tabloid The Daily Star, an outlet dubious by even British tabloid standards, says Beyonce has been talking to Adele about the possibility of taking the gig after Adele’s experience working on “Skyfall”.

Their source says: “The two spoke before Bey’s first meeting with film bosses and Adele told her how co-writing and performing a Bond theme gave her an amazing career hike.”

Beyonce’s career is hardly in need of help though and she is reportedly close to signing on to co-produce the soundtrack for Disney’s CGI animated remake of “The Lion King”.

The next Bond film has already been confirmed to be Daniel Craig’s final outing in the role. They key hiring of a director for the project has yet to be announced.

Doctor Omega

Apple & Amazon Vying For Bond Film Rights

apple-amazon-vying-for-bond-film-rights-696x464.jpg

Tech giants Apple and Amazon have reportedly entered the race to score the distribution rights to the James Bond franchise according to THR.

At last report, Warner Bros. Pictures remains in the lead to land distribution rights to the series after EON and MGM’s previous deal with Sony Pictures came to its natural expiration with “Spectre” in 2015.

The trade says both Apple and Amazon are willing to spend as much, if not more than Warners for the rights. Sony, Universal and Fox have also been aggressively pursuing the property.

However it’s Apple, in particular, being in pursuit of the rights that has raised eyebrows as it could indicate more than just film rights are on the table – it could even mean a deal for full ownership of the whole franchise, valued at anywhere between $2 -5  billion.

There’s also word that Chinese companies are reportedly pursuing not just movie rights but massive licensing rights that could push a new deal into the billions of dollars.

Should a full ownership transfer deal take place with someone like Apple, the franchise could spread into new arenas including establishing a larger Bond cinematic universe with spin-offs or more direct and period-set adaptations of Fleming’s original novels, and it could finally yield one or several Bond related TV series.

All the talk and speculation arrives ahead of Daniel Craig’s fifth and final outing as Bond in a new film set to open in cinemas on November  8th 2019.

Doctor Omega

Craig Wants Villeneuve For Next Bond

craig-wants-villeneuve-for-next-bond-696x463.jpg

“Sicario,” “Arrival” and “Blade Runner 2049” director Denis Villeneuve is reportedly actor Daniel Craig’s choice to take the helm of the next James Bond film which will serve as his final outing in the 007 role.

Baz Bamigboye broke the report. Villeneuve’s name has been mentioned as one of the favorites for the gig before, the other two being Yann Demange and David MacKenzie.

Craig however has a big say in creative decisions at this point and holds much sway. The other big upside with Villeneuve’s involvement is that it will potentially bring back “Skyfall” cinematographer Roger Deakins to the franchise as well.

At last report, Villeneuve is still developing his new adaptation of “Dune,” though earlier this year he admitted the large scale sci-fi project will take some time to coalesce and he’s in need of a break after doing five films in six years.

The next James Bond film opens on November 8th 2019.

Doctor Omega

Villeneuve On Turning Down James Bond

villeneuve-on-turning-down-james-bond-696x464.jpg

The talk of who will direct the next James Bond film has cooled down in recent weeks. At last report Yann Demange (“’71”) was the front runner, while Denis Villenueve was actor Daniel Craig’s personal choice for the gig.

Villeneuve himself has expressed enthusiasm about doing a James Bond film, but his commitment to his passion project – a new adaptation of Frank Herbert’s “Dune,” has prevented him from doing so. In a recent conversation with Screen Crush, the filmmaker discussed the decision saying:

“I would love to [direct Bond]. I said to [producer] Barbara [Broccoli], I would love to work with you and with Daniel, but I’m engaged. [Laughs] I will love to do it, honestly. I’m a spoiled filmmaker right now… I think Daniel Craig is a fantastic actor and I would like to, but several months ago I came into do ‘Dune’ and I engaged myself. I committed myself and I’m someone that doesn’t step back.

I remember I committed to do ‘Enemy,’ they came with ‘Prisoners‘ I said, ‘I need to do Enemy first,’ and I had to break to bend the schedule. I did the same with ‘Arrival‘ and ‘Blade Runner [2049].’ I did ‘Blade Runner,’ one of my conditions was that I would have time to do ‘Arrival’ first. Once I commit, I commit.

When Legendary offered me to do ‘Dune,’ on a silver plate? Which was like my dream project that I’m dreaming to do for 30 years? I said yes right away. I want to honor that. It doesn’t mean the movie will happen, maybe in six months the movie will – and Bond is an old fantasy of mine, but I can’t be in two places at the same time. It’s a strange year because I would love to do a James Bond. I need to focus.”

Of course the fate of “Dune” seems unclear at present as adult-targeted science fiction seems a no go zone for many studios at present. Whatever happens, the new Bond film is on track for a November 8th 2019 which means it has to begin filming by the end of next year at the latest.

Doctor Omega

Nolan Rules Himself Out As “Bond 25” Director

nolan-rules-himself-out-as-bond-25-director-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Christopher Nolan has made it quite clear that he definitely won’t be directing the next film in the James Bond franchise.

The new film, slated to be Daniel Craig’s fifth and likely final outing in the role, still has yet to secure a helmer though the likes of Yann DeMange and Denis Villeneuve have been suggested.

Of course Nolan’s name has been floated by fanboys as well, especially as the filmmaker is a very big Bond fan with the franchise’s influences visible in this films. However he tells BBC Radio 4 (via Digital Spy) that he’s definitely not involved: “I won’t be the man. No, categorically. I think every time they hire a new director I’m rumoured to be doing it.”

He doesn’t, however, rule out doing on further down the line and says:

“I’d love to make a Bond film at some point and I think those producers – Barbara and Michael – they do a tremendous job and Sam Mendes has done a terrific job the last couple of films, so they don’t particularly need me. But I’ve always been inspired by the films and would love to do one someday.

I love the character, I love the films, I’ve been very inspired by the films as anyone who’s seen my films will find embarrassingly obvious. But you’d only take on a franchise like that if you could bring something completely new to it, if that were needed. And I think at the moment they’re doing fantastically well without me.”

The new Bond film is currently targeting a November 2019 release which would mean filming has to get underway before the end of this year.

Doctor Omega

• Danny Boyle Is Now The “Bond 25” Frontrunner

danny-boyle-is-now-the-bond-25-frontrunner-696x464.jpg

Christopher Nolan has ruled himself out, while the likes of Denis Villeneuve and Yann Demange have both been linked with Demange previously the top choice. However a new and more well-known name has emerged as a potential candidate to helm the next James Bond feature, and it’s a perfect fit – Danny Boyle.

Variety reports that MGM and EON are looking to settle on a director soon and high on their list is the “Slumdog Millionaire,” “Sunshine,” “Steve Jobs” and “28 Days Later” helmer. However, no formal offer has yet been made.

Boyle has reportedly expressed keen interest in the project and has always wanted to direct a Bond film. He is developing another project at Working Title but it is in such early stages it could easily be moved back to take on the new 007 installment which will serve as Daniel Craig’s fifth and potentially final outing in the role.

Boyle most recently directed the limited series “Trust” for FX. That series, about the Getty family saga, debuts next month.

Doctor Omega

More Details Emerge About Boyle’s “Bond 25”

more-details-emerge-about-boyles-bond-25-696x464.jpg

Following on from the report that “Slumdog Millionaire” and “Trainspotting” director Danny Boyle is the favorite to direct the next James Bond film, Deadline has offered new details in regards to what is going on with the film.

At last report before the Boyle news broke, director Yann Demange (“’71”) was the top choice to direct the project from a script by longtime Bond writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade. It turns out that option is still on the table, but has now become a backup plan.

Boyle reportedly hit it off with actor Daniel Craig when Boyle directed the opening ceremony for the 2012 London Olympics. At the time Boyle came up with a very specific idea for a Bond movie which series producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson have now sparked to.

As a result, Boyle and his “T2 Trainspotting” writer John Hodge are now working out the story beats with Hodge writing that screenplay over the next few months. Once complete, Broccoli and Wilson will take a look and make a decision. If they like it, Boyle officially comes onboard and the original “Bond 25” script is shelved.

If Broccoli and Wilson pass on the finished Hodge script, they’ll go back to Purvis and Wade’s take and likely re-engage talks with previous contenders like Demange or David Mackenzie (“Hell or High Water,” “Starred Up”). As production on the next Bond isn’t slated to start until late 2018, there’s still time for those involved to explore options like this.

The next Bond film, Daniel Craig’s apparent final outing in the role, hits November 2019.

Doctor Omega

Boyle Could Dump Bond For A Musical

danny-boyles-trust-tv-series-has-epic-scale-696x464.jpg

It looks like Danny Boyle’s potential stint as director of the next Bond film may not be as set in stone as once thought.

Daily Mail columnist Baz Bamigboye reports that Boyle is set to direct a contemporary original musical comedy about a struggling U.K. musician in the 1960s-70s with a script from Richard Curtis (“Love Actually,” “About Time”). If casting comes together, the project could shoot this summer.

Boyle has reportedly been trying to do a musical for a long time, saying last year: “For any director an original musical is the ultimate holy grail, absolutely. It’s the purest form of cinema. If you can get your characters to sing, absolutely believe it and go with it – that’s the ultimate degree of difficulty. That’s the top one.”

Boyle initially was to make “Millions” a musical but changed his focus. He previously attempted film adaptations of both “My Fair Lady” and “Miss Saigon” and once tried to use David Bowie’s music for an original one.

Boyle came up with an original story with John Hodge for the next James Bond film, with the script currently being written. Boyle is also finishing up the FX series “Trust” which launches next month.

Doctor Omega

I think that, if Danny Boyle's mind is not focused fully on the Bond film - if his heart is not in it and he would rather be making a musical - then he should, indeed, pass on this opportunity and let someone else approach it with wholehearted passion and vision. Not halfhearted workmanship.