News Sherlock Holmes 3 (2021)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I would like to see this story get a proper wrap up. I like Downey and Law in the roles, and enjoy the movies. True, they take great liberties with the source material, but they are quite entertaining.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Third “Sherlock Holmes” Set For 2020

third-sherlock-holmes-set-for-2020-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures have announced a Christmas Day 2020 release for a third film in the “Sherlock Holmes” film franchise starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law.

Both are set to reprise their roles as the iconic British detective and his trusted sidekick Dr. Watson respectively, however a director has not yet been set. Guy Ritchie helmed the two previous films, but is committed to several other projects coming up.

Chris Brancato will pen the new film’s script which follows on from the 2009 original and its 2011 follow-up, both of which earned just over $500 million each at the worldwide box office.

Susan Downey, Joel Silver and Lionel Wigram are producing.

Doctor Omega

Downey Jr. Teases His “Sherlock” Preparation

downey-jr-teases-his-sherlock-preparation-696x464.jpg

A third “Sherlock Holmes” film with Robert Downey Jr. reprising his role seems to be coming more into focus with the actor today posting a gif of himself as the world famous detective character along with the caption “Practicing my Sherlock face”.

https://twitter.com/RobertDowneyJr/status/1031220261578629120?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1031220261578629120&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.darkhorizons.com%2Fdowney-jr-teases-his-sherlock-preparation%2F

The post comes a few months after Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures set a Christmas Day 2020 release for the new film and confirmed Downey and Jude Law are set to reprise their roles as the iconic British detective and his trusted sidekick Dr. Watson respectively.

With Downey’s Marvel commitments essentially over bar some press, and his “The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle” remake having wrapped, the new Holmes is one of the only films on his slate at this point. Guy Ritchie helmed the two previous films but his status with a new ‘Holmes’ is unclear and he’s linked to several other projects.

Chris Brancato is penning the script for the new film which Susan Downey, Joel Silver and Lionel Wigram are producing.

Doctor Omega

“Sherlock Holmes 3” Delayed Until Xmas 2021

sherlock-holmes-3-delayed-until-xmas-2021-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures has delayed its third “Sherlock Holmes 3” film by a year, the studio announcing a new December 21st 2021 release date.

Originally announced last May that it was targeting a Christmas Day 2020 release with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law reprising the roles of the famed British detective and sidekick Dr. Watson.

The new date means the film will open a full decade after the previous sequel “Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows” opened in cinemas and grossed $545.4 million at the worldwide box office.

Guy Ritchie helmed the first two films but no director is yet attached to the new one which Chris Brancato penned the script for. Susan Downey, Joel Silver and Lionel Wigram are producing.

“Sherlock Holmes 3” will also open five days after Cameron’s “Avatar 3” and on the same day as Sony’s “Hotel Transylvania 4”.

Doctor Omega

Sherlock Holmes 3
The upcoming third “Sherlock Holmes” film with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law is rumored to be looking at a potential Old West setting, specifically 1890 San Francisco. Shooting is reportedly targeting a January 2020 start ahead of a late 2021 release.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Sherlock Holmes 3
The upcoming third “Sherlock Holmes” film with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law is rumored to be looking at a potential Old West setting, specifically 1890 San Francisco. Shooting is reportedly targeting a January 2020 start ahead of a late 2021 release.
I dunno. Part of my appeal for Holmes is that he's quintessentially a British icon, and works best in England, and by proxy, anywhere else in Europe. I'm not saying I won't watch it, or that I may not enjoy it, but this feels like a misstep.

Doctor Omega

DEXTER FLETCHER (Director):
“I think that’s inevitable, isn’t it? Whenever you have different filmmakers. I’m not gonna ignore what he did so brilliantly before. There will be an element of that, but I will also bring my own voice to it as well and it will be something sort of different. And I suppose that’s the idea of bringing in somebody new. We’ll see what happens.”
Fletcher worked on screen for Ritchie in “Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels” and so the two are old friends and Fletcher says there are no hard feelings about him taking over after Ritchie couldn’t be involved due to scheduling conflicts:

“He’s very generous about it. He’s like, ‘You’re going to have a great time with it. Go and have a great time.’ It’ll be exciting. Robert [Downey Jr.] is amazing. Jude [Law} is fantastic. There’s an incredible cast there and a great opportunity. He’s not around to do it. He’s off doing what he’s doing. So it feels good to be part of that. Guy and I go way back and he’s very generous. I think he sort of finds it rather fun that it’s me.”