Poll Should Statues Ever Be Taken Down?

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Do You Agree With Confederate Monuments Being Removed?

upload_2017-5-13_22-7-19.png

What I see every time one Confederate statue getting torn down, or violated!

upload_2017-5-13_22-27-13.png
First off, both sides of my family fought during the Civil War. I grew up respecting both my northern and southern sides of my family. I believe in respecting the flag, and I was raised knowing what the flag laws were. With this being said I am still trying to wrap my mind around why we are allowing people to burn flags, and tear down monuments that are around/over 100 years old. I'm all for history! Lately, since the whole ban the confederate flag movement happened, I'm scared sh*tless to go out wearing my Dukes of Hazzard shirt. I have a fear of some group of young jackasses jumping me, and calling me a racist over a my shirt. Yes, for some weird ass reason people have become pretty dumb the last 10 years. I love the civil war! I love the technology that came from it, iron-clad warships, mines, submarines, gatling guns, & so much more. The Hunley was the very first sub ever built, and it was built by the CSA. Are we going to ignore that? I'm just so dumbfounded by tearing down so many beautiful historical statues, tearing up CSA graves, and headstones. People were painting headstones for saying CSA on them. This generation has no respect for the dead. I always have felt that we learn from our mistakes. I feel we are making a big mistake with removing these monuments. There are many people protesting to save them, rallying up, and yet their voices are being ignored. Out of the 7 in New Orleans, 2 have been removed, and are to be sold to private collectors. When one fell, there's going to be more CSA stuff being removed, Florida is already on the chopping for one of theirs.

How much more history are we going to tear down before it's to late?

One more thing I get tired of having to explain over and over again. What is a offical csa flag, and what is not. Just do the research, and learn what flags were official CSA flags.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

duzit

Member: Rank 6
I believe history should be preserved. All the wars this country fought helped form the country. Regardless what the item, any historical item from any of our wars are important and should be viewed as valuable.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Didn't Jefferson own slaves?

First they come for the Confederates then they come for the Confederate sympathisers then they come for the friends of the confederate sympathisers.

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
You can't erase history, nor re-write it to suit current sensibilities. Do that long enough, you end up with Winston Smith's 'memory hole', where the past is altered every day to suit the needs of the reigning nabobs of the moment.

Use the statues and monuments as a touchstone and focal point to teach the history of the war and its underlying points. I think that would achieve more long-term good to society than short-sightedly simply tearing down any and everything that's deemed offensive to one group or another.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Yeah, because Germany has so many statues and monuments depicting Nazi leaders.

No, wait, they don't.

Last edited by a moderator: