Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Fame & Infamy' started by Doctor Omega, Mar 1, 2017.
Argento Settled With Sexual Assault Accuser
One of the most vocal and visible advocates of the #MeToo movement, actress Asia Argento, has ended up on the other side of the line with a new The New York Times(via Variety) report indicating she settled an accusation of sexual assault with a young actor regarding an encounter both had in a California hotel room in 2013.
The young actor, Jimmy Bennett, was surprisingly named in the report and documents obtained by the paper indicate the claim alleges that the sexual assault happened when he was just over 17 years old and she was 37 (the age of consent in California is 18).
His initial notice was of intent to sue Argento for $3.5 million, claiming that due to the trauma inflicted by Argento, the young actor lost work and saw his yearly income drop dramatically. Before the suit went public he and the actress settled for $380,000. Included in the documents is a selfie taken, showing both parties in bed together. The New York Times has confirmed through multiple sources the documents and photo are real.
Bennett played the child version of Chris Pine’s James Kirk in the early scenes of 2009’s “Star Trek” reboot.....
....and played Argento’s on screen son in the 2004 film “The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things” which she directed. Bennett says he has left the film industry altogether and is now focusing on his music.
The lawyer who presided over the settlement said in the documents: “We hope nothing like this ever happens to you again. You are a powerful and inspiring creator and it is a miserable condition of life that you live among shitty individuals who’ve preyed on both your strengths and your weaknesses.”
Argento, who has yet to comment on the report, is one of the many women that came out with sexual assault stories against Harvey Weinstein. She has recently faced online persecution after her boyfriend, Anthony Bourdain, took his own life earlier this year.
Asia Argento Responds To Times Report
Actress Asia Argento has now issued an official statement today saying she never had “any sexual relationship” with a man who has accused her of molesting him when he was a minor reports Variety.
Journalist Yashar Ali first reported the statement which follows on from a New York Times report on Sunday detailing a settlement with former child actor Jimmy Bennett who alleged that the Italian actress-director sexually assaulted him in 2013 when he was 17 and she was 37.
Argento doesn’t deny the settlement, saying Bennett was “considered dangerous” by her former boyfriend the late Anthony Bourdain and that a $380,000 payout to him was a way to end Bennett’s “long-standing persecution” of her and “to deal compassionately with Bennett’s demand for help” after the actor unexpectedly made an exorbitant request of money from her while her public profile grew during the investigation into Harvey Weinstein.
She contends Bennett was motivated by his own ‘severe economic problems’ and his belief that Bourdain was a wealthy target with a reputation to protect. She adds Bourdain insisted the matter be handled privately, which Bennett also reportedly wanted and Argento agreed to.
Argento, one of the harshest accusers of Weinstein and something of a poster child for the #MeToo movement, adds that she is “deeply shocked and hurt by having read news that is absolutely false” referring to the Times report. The full statement can be seen below:
Gérard Depardieu: French actor accused of rape
French actor Gérard Depardieu has been accused of rape and sexual assault by a young actress, judicial sources say.
He denies the allegations "absolutely", his lawyer told AFP news agency.
The allegations against the 69-year-old were formally made to police by a 22-year-old French actress on Monday, French radio reports.
Mr Depardieu is one of France's most recognisable actors, and has starred in films such as Cyrano de Bergerac and Jean de Florette.
What are the accusations?
The alleged crimes occurred this month in one of Mr Depardieu's Paris residences, French media report.
The unnamed actress made her statement to police in Lambesc, southern France, after which the case was passed to prosecutors in the capital.
Mr Depardieu's accuser is an actress and author who knew the actor before the alleged crimes took place.
The actress was "devastated" by the alleged attacks, her agent was quoted as saying by French digital news service BFMTV.
Mr Depardieu's lawyer, Hervé Temime, said he was convinced his client would be exonerated of any blame by the end of the investigation.
"I had a long meeting with Gérard Depardieu and I am absolutely convinced his innocence will be established," he told France Info radio.
The actor, he said, was "shaken" by the allegations, which went against "everything he is and respects".
Who is Depardieu?
Able to combine bearish physicality with emotional delicacy on screen, he has played in some 170 films, getting his big break in 1973 with Les Valseuses (Going Places).
He won the best actor award for Cyrano at Cannes in 1990, and was nominated for an Oscar for the same role.
Green Card, an English-language comedy made the same year, brought him further acclaim outside the French-speaking world.
Off-screen, he made headlines in recent years for attacking French tax laws, moving to Belgium in protest and later developing close ties to Vladimir Putin's Russia.
Kevin Spacey: LA prosecutors drop sexual assault charge
Kevin Spacey will not be prosecuted over an accusation of sexual assault that allegedly took place in 1992.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney's office said the alleged incident was outside California's statute of limitations.
Officials confirmed in April that an allegation involving Mr Spacey and an incident with a man in West Hollywood in 1992 was being investigated.
Another case concerning an alleged incident in 2016 remains under review.
A number of allegations of sexual misconduct have been made against the Oscar-winning actor since last November, when he was accused by actor Anthony Rapp of making a sexual advance in 1986.
Mr Spacey claimed to have no memory of the events but publicly apologised. He has since issued an "absolute" denial of the other allegations that later emerged.
Police in London are investigating six criminal cases against him.
Prosecutors in Los Angeles have also said they would not charge actor Steven Seagal and TV comedy star Anthony Anderson over two other sexual assault accusations.
The 1993 accusations against Seagal fell outside the statute of limitations, while Anderson's accuser declined to be interviewed.
The allegations against Spacey saw him dropped from Netflix series House of Cards and replaced by another actor in All the Money in the World.
Last month a film in which he appears, Billionaire Boys Club, took a record-breaking low of $126 (£98) on its first night in US cinemas.
CBS’ Moonves Preps Exit As More Allegations Hit
CBS Corp. is reportedly preparing to announce the departure of chief executive officer Les Moonves as the media mogul faces a fresh round of allegations of sexual harassment.
Six additional women have come forward to accuse Moonves of harassment or assault, with claims stretching back decades, in a new report by Ronan Farrow in The New Yorker. This follows on from the previous allegations from six other women regarding Moonves during his CBS tenure.
The latest reported incidents occurred in the 1980s and early 2000s and include claims that the executive forced women to perform oral sex on him, exposed himself, and used intimidation and physical violence. One of the women, veteran TV exec Phyllis Golden-Gottlieb, filed a complaint late last year with the Los Angeles Police Department. The publication reports that their law enforcement sources found her “allegations credible and consistent” but prosecutors declined to pursue charges because the statute of limitations had expired.
The revelations add pressure to exit talks that were already underway at the network with the announcement of his exit expected imminently. It’s unclear what financial impact they will have, but these fresh allegations could make a dent in Moonves’ settlement package which was originally expected to total more than $US100 million.
Moonves, in a statement to the New Yorker, acknowledged three of the encounters while maintaining that they were consensual. Moonves is expected to be succeeded as CEO by Chief Operating Officer Joseph Ianniello temporarily as the board would then begin a search for a full-time replacement.
CBS and controlling shareholder National Amusements Inc., who has been battling for board control with Moonves, didn’t have immediate comments on Sunday. As part of separate negotiations, CBS would end efforts to dilute the Redstone family’s 80% voting stake through National Amusements Inc. and potentially dismiss board members who staged an attempted coup. In exchange, National Amusements would agree to honor the independence of a new board and vow it won’t mount a new effort to merge CBS with Viacom Inc. for at least 18 months.
As the story continues to unfold, new wrinkles are cropping up. A new report at The Huffington Post details a source claiming Moonves was obsessed for years with ruining Janet Jackson’s career following the infamous Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction because “Jackson, in his mind, was not sufficiently repentant.”