Review Space 1999 (1975)

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Yeah love this show! Watched an episode tonight as well! I never liked Richard Briers until I saw him in this and it's such a natural type of show! I've got the four Network editions, is there any difference between them and the BBC sets do you know, Mike? I don't think the BBC set has the Briers interview has it?
JB

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
STD sounds nasty!! HaHa What is Star Trek Beyond? I've got TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY and the films. UFO, Space 1999, Captain Scarlet, The Invaders, Highlander films, Highlander:The Series, Highlander:The Raven, Doctor Who (Everything up to Time of The Doctor) Blakes 7, Lost in Space, The Time Tunnel, Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea, Land of The Giants, Kolchak, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, V, Laurel & Hardy, Planet of The Apes films and TV series and cartoon, Robinson Crusoe 1960s French TV serial, Scooby Doo Where Are you! Spider-Man cartoon and Tobey Maguire films, Danger Man, The Prisoner, Abbott & Costello sets, 007 series, Hammer films and House of horror, WWF/E 1985-2010, Randall & Hopkirk 60s, On The Buses series and films, The Avengers & New Avengers, Babylon 5 & Crusade, Ever Decreasing Circles, Some Two Ronnies, Chronicles of Narnia, Fawlty Towers, first two series of Monty Python, Adam Adamant, Starsky & Hutch, Later sets of Married With Children, Minder (Waterman episodes) Benny Hill, The Tripods, Battlestar Galactica (original) and 80, Vincent Price horror films, Outer Limits (original and first new series) Incredible Hulk, Universal horrors, The Sopranos, Love Thy Neighbour, Police Woman, Sliders, Walking Dead and Fear, plus numerous films and horror movies...phew! :P
JB
STAR TREK BEYOND is the third film in the reboot film series.

As for TV series I own on DVD or HDD...

10 DAYS TO WAR

THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1984)

THE RETURN OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1986)

THE CASE-BOOK OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1991)

THE MEMOIRS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1994)

AMERICAN GOTHIC

THE BLACK ADDER

BLACKADDER II

BLACKADDER THE THIRD

BLACKADDER'S CHRISTMAS CAROL

BLACKADDER: THE CAVALIER YEARS

BLACKADDER GOES FORTH

BLACKADDER: BACK & FORTH

BLAKE’S 7

BLUE MURDER

BOTTOM

BOTTOM LIVE - THE STAGE SHOW

CALLAN (+)

THE CHAMPIONS

CHILDREN OF THE STONES

CHURCHILL'S DARKEST DECISION

CRACKER

CRIME STORY

THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (1981)

THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (2009)

DEAD FAMOUS

DEMPSEY AND MAKEPEACE

DOCTOR WHO (1963) (+)

DOCTOR WHO (1996)

DOCTOR WHO (2005)

EDGE OF DARKNESS (1985)

FAMILY GUY (+)

AMERICAN DAD! (+)

FATHER TED

FAWLTY TOWERS

FIREFLY

THE FOG OF WAR

FOYLE’S WAR

FUTURAMA (+)

THE GOOD LIFE (+)

THE GOODIES (+)

THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY

HORNBLOWER

THE INVADERS (1967)

THE IRAQ WAR

IT

JUDGE JOHN DEED (+)

K9 AND COMPANY

KEATING

THE KILLING SEASON

THE LANGOLIERS

THE LONE GUNMEN

LIFE AFTER PEOPLE - THE SERIES (+)

THE LION IN WINTER

MR BEAN

THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES

MONSTER OF THE MILKY WAY

MONTY PYTHON’S FLYING CIRCUS

MR SIN: THE ABE SAFFRON STORY

MURDER ROOMS: THE DARK BEGINNINGS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES

MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN

THE NIGHT STALKER

THE PERSUADERS!

THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH

PLANET OF THE APES

THE PLANETS

THE SUN

THE MOON

SPACE

SPACE AGE

SPACE ODYSSEY: VOYAGE TO THE PLANETS

SPACE RACE

POLICE SQUAD!

PORRIDGE

GOING STRAIGHT

PRICE FOR PEACE

THE PRISONER (1967)

RAFFLES

THE REAL BONNIE AND CLYDE

RED DWARF

THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL (+)

SHERLOCK (2010) (+)

SHERLOCK HOLMES (1954) (+)

SHOOTING WAR

THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN (+)

SOME MOTHERS DO 'AVE 'EM

SPOOKS

THE STAND

STAR TREK - ENTERPRISE

STAR TREK

STAR TREK - THE NEXT GENERATION

STAR TREK - DEEP SPACE NINE

STAR TREK - VOYAGER

STARGATE SG-1

STARGATE ATLANTIS

SURVIVORS (1975)

TARGETING BIN LADEN

TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES

THUNDERBIRDS

TORCHWOOD

THE TRIPODS

THE TWILIGHT ZONE (1959)

THE TWILIGHT ZONE (1985)

V (1983)

V: THE FINAL BATTLE (1984)

THE VICAR OF DIBLEY (+)

WALKING WITH MONSTERS (2005)

WALKING WITH DINOSAURS (1999)

THE BALLAD OF BIG AL (2001)

LAND OF GIANTS

THE GIANT CLAW

WALKING WITH BEASTS (2001)

WALKING WITH CAVEMEN (2003)

SEA MONSTERS (2003)

THE WEST WING

WHEN THE BOAT COMES IN

WHITLAM: THE POWER AND THE PASSION

WILDSIDE

WIRE IN THE BLOOD

WONDERS OF THE UNIVERSE

THE X-FILES

YES MINISTER

YES, PRIME MINISTER

THE YOUNG ONES

The symbol (+) indicates that the collection is incomplete.

I also have approximately 2 000 films on DVD and HDD - plus some more on VHS.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Interesting selection of shows, nice to see what fellow fans watch. Here's my collection.
All of these are complete collections, by which I mean , I have all that are available to buy. Some of course have missing episodes, but for this list I'll count them as complete as there is no more to purchase. I only buy if I can complete the series. Some are still awaiting future releases, like Red Dwarf series 12, but I count this as complete as I have all available. So with that clear here goes;
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS, ACE OF WANDS, ARMSTRONG AND MILLER, AVENGERS, ALAS SMITH AND JONES, ALIAS SMITH AND JONES, A BIT OF A DO, APHRODITE INHERITANCE, ALEXEI SAYLE'S STUFF, AMERICAN GOTHIC, ADVENTURER ( Gene Barry), BRITTAS EMPIRE, BUCK RODGERS IN 25TH CENTURY, BLAKES7, BOTTOM, BLESS THIS HOUSE, BLACK BOOKS, BLACK ARROW, BLACKADDER, BENSON , BERGERAC, BILKO, BEIDERBECKE TRILOGY, BATMAN, BRASS, CATWEAZLE, CALLAN, COLUMBO, CHANCE INA MILLION, CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, CHELMSFORD 123, CAR 54, THE CUCKOO WALTZ, THE CREZZ, THE CHAMPIONS, DR WHO, DARK SKIES, DEPARTMENT S, DADS ARMY, THE DETECTIVES (Jasper Carrot and Robert Powell) DARK SIDE OF THE SUN, DUTY FREE, DANGER MAN, DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE,( and At Large, at sea, on the go, in charge) THE EQUALIZER, EUREKA, FAST SHOW, F TROOP, FRY AND LAURIE, FATHER DEAR FATHER ,FEATHERED SERPENT, FIREFLY, GEORGE AND MILDRED, THE GUARDIANS, GHOSTS OF MOTLEY HALL, THE GOODIES, GET SMART, GET SOME IN, HYPERDRIVE, HARDY BOYS NANCY DREW MYSTERIES, HAZELL, HAMMER HOUSE HORROR and Murder mystery, HELLO CHEEKY, HAWAII 5-0 ORIGINAL SERIES, HILL STREET BLUES, HADLEIGH, HAPPY E EVER AFTER, THE INVISIBLE MAN (McCallum) INSIDE NUMBER 9, I DIDN'T KNOW YOU CARED, IS IT LEGAL, I DREAM OF JEANNIE, I'M ALAN PARTRIDGE, THE INVADERS, INVASION, IDEAL, IT CROWD, KYTV, KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY, JASON KING, KEEPING UP APPEARANCES, KINGDOM (Stephen Fry) ,KOLCHAK, LABOURS OF ERICA, LOGAN'S RUN ,LAND OF THE GIANTS, LOTUS EATERS, NOEL FIELDING 'S LUXURY COMEDY, LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN, LEAD BALLOON, MONTY PYTHON, MAELSTROM, MAN IN ROOM 17, MITCHELL AND WEBB, MIRANDA, MIGHTY BOOSH, MARRIED WITH CHILDREN, MIND YOUR LANGUAGE, LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR, McMILLAN AND WIFE, MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE, MASH, MOONBASE 3, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ( original and 80's reboot), 1990, NEW AVENGERS, NEW PROFESSIONALS, NOT GOING OUT, NO HONESTLY, NOT THE NINE O'CLOCK NEWS, HARRY O, ONLY WHEN I LAUGH, OUTNUMBERED, THE OMEGA FACTOR, ON THE BUSES, ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE, OUTSIDE EDGE, OH NO ITS SELWYN FROGGIT, FALL AND RISE OF REGINALD PERRIN, PSYCHOVILLE, PLANET OF THE APES, PETER KAY'S PHEONIX NIGHTS, PUBLIC EYE, THE PROTECTORS, THE PERSUADERS, THE PROFESSIONALS. PEEP SHOW, PARDON MY GENIE, THE PRISONER ( Original series and diabolical remake), Q ( Spike Milligan),ELLERY QUEEN, RED DWARF, RANDALL AND HOPKIRK,( original and pretty good reboot), RIPPING YARNS. RETURN OF THE SAINT, ROBINS NEST, RAFFLES, ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD,THE SANDBAGGERS, STAR COPS, SOAP, SHADOWS, SEINFELD, SMUGGLER, STAR TREK ORIGINAL,ST ANIMATED, THE SQUIRRELS, THE SAINT, SPACE 1999, THE STARLOST, THE SWEENEY, SURVIVORS, SOME MOTHERS DO AVE EM, SYKES, STEPTOE AND SON, SKY, LARRY SANDERS SHOW, SAPPHIRE AND STEEL, SAXONDALE, SUTHERLANDS LAW, EVER DECREASING CIRCLES, DOOMWATCH, THRILLER, TWIN PEAKS, TOMORROW PEOPLE, TIMESLIP, PAUL TEMPLE, TIME TUNNEL, THE THICK OF IT, DICK TURPIN,'TIL DEATH US TO PART, TERRY AND JUNE, TWO'S COMPANY, TARZAN (Ron Ely), TOAST OF LONDON , THE THIN BLUE LINE, UPSTART CROW, UFO, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, VEEP, VILLAGE HALL, A VERY PECULIAR PRACTICE (Peter Davison) , WHO PAYS THE FERRYMAN, WAITING FOR GOD , WILD WILD WEST, YOUNG ONES, YONDERLAND, YES HONESTLY, YOU'RE ONLY YOUNG TWICE, and finally ZODIAC ,a weird detective series with Anton Rodgers and Anouska Hempel.
Nice collection.

I really should own more of those, but I'm also heavily into video gaming - particularly online in the last 4 or 5 years. I constantly find it difficult to find the time to watch my collection of films and TV series. In fact, as I write this, I'm also playing GTAO as 2 separate individuals simultaneously, posting on 2 separate websites and checking out YouTube for various videos of interest.

I think I need to clone myself, just to keep up...

johnnybear

I'm out at present so I can't be sure. I have the BBC box set . It has Briers, Egan and Penelope Wilton commentary on a few episodes. Not really the thread to discuss this, but I don't think there's a poor episode. One of my favourites is the neighbourhood watch one when the copper at the end , who also played Gross in the Blakes7 episode Moloch, says " Yes sir we do keep sandwiches under our helmets,cheese and pickle tonight"
My favourite episode of Ever Decreasing Circles has to be The Loft from series four where Martin and Howard get stuck up in the attic of the cottage that they, Paul and the wives are holidaying in! "Hello, Anne, I'm in here now..!"
JB

johnnybear

I've been reading on other forums how people keep wanting to put the original series of Space 1999 into a defined order! In other words, Breakaway must be followed by Earthbound and soon after Dragon's Domain and Voyager's Return due to the stories dealing with aliens going to earth and previous spaceships from earth turning up during their voyage! But for me I've always found it better to watch it in a different order each and every time! It's not a show that you can define by watching it in a serialised form! Like all ITC shows, which were always screened in different orders by the various ITV companies during the seventies!
JB

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
Space 1999 still holds a special place in my heart. As kids on the school playground we used to roleplay what we called, "mini-scouts" which was a mostly Space 1999 with a dash of Star Trek. The swingset was our spaceships from which we would inevitably have to "eject" and the monkey bars were the main ship where we flew to various planets and fought aliens. I'm not even sure if my other friends watched those shows or if they latched on to my enthusiasm but they are great memories and among my most treasured.

johnnybear

Space 1999 with it's melancholy music, classic effects and slightly depressing stories laced with just enough action and explosives to keep the interest! The first series made the base look a very scary but warm place to live while the second series made me think that every day was a party and Koenig had finally found out how to control his temper! When it finally arrived here in 75 I was well out of that playing in the playground with the kids bit, that was for Lost in Space a few years earlier!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
We were too busy playing at BLAKE'S 7, specifically the episode PRESSURE POINT, with the playing field outside the school being the mined field that led to the (empty( control centre and having to take turns to dash across it before the field blew us up. :emoji_confused:

johnnybear

HaHaHaHa Love it! I can't imagine any of the kids at my school in that era even admitting to watching Blakes 7 outside of a few nerds let alone be playing it! I never saw Gan's death coming either, Nowadays we would have been told months in advance too!
JB

Doctor Omega

Undeveloped Year Three

The producers and studio intended to continue the show with a third season. This was to be shorter than the previous two, with 13 episodes, for budget reasons. Maya was considered to be a successful character, and the producers began grooming her for a spinoff show that would run concurrently with the third series of Space: 1999. Had this project gone ahead, Maya would have been absent from Space: 1999. The "Maya" series was also intended to run for 13 episodes a year.

Doctor Omega

51IXgcL+BgL._SY346_.jpg

This book mentions the fact that the proposed series three was cancelled by Lew Grade - and the money that would have been spent on it was used in the promotional advertising of this thing....

Doctor Omega

This suggests to me that if you let a member of the Grade family anywhere near a cult show, they will cancel it to spend money elsewhere. :emoji_head_bandage:

Doctor Omega

Maya was considered to be a successful character, and the producers began grooming her for a spinoff show that would run concurrently with the third series of Space: 1999.

Not sure about that MAYA series either. Could it have worked? :emoji_confused:

johnnybear

Well weren't they supposed to run concurrently? Or was she supposed to be in the first episode of the third series and then left Alpha on a mission of her own? Or did Dorcon fleets locate the moon and threaten to obliterate it for the death of The Archon and she decided that she was risking all their lives by staying, so she left? Questions that sadly we will never have answers to I guess!
JB

johnnybear

The Space 1999 comic strip was well drawn at least when they made it in black and white! The guy who did the colour stuff seem to let his imagination run riot as I remember!
JB