Review Spearhead from Space (1970)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Attachments

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
One of the two best post regeneration stories (the other being Power of the Daleks of course). A great start for the third Doctor and fantastic introduction (welcome back?) for UNIT and the Brigadier. And also the beginning of what is probably the most consistently good season of Doctor Who ever.

Doctor Omega

Robert Holmes wrote this 1966 movie, INVASION, and apparently re-used elements of it in SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE.....

Doctor Omega

Thinking on it, I don't know if the Pertwee era would be quite so loved if it had had the atmosphere of season seven throughout.

On the other hand, I do think we lost something from TERROR OF THE AUTONS onward.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I love this serial. It looks so good because it's on film instead of video and we get strong characterizations right out of the gate (although they softened Liz considerably by the second serial). And I love Jon Pertwee.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Thinking on it, I don't know if the Pertwee era would be quite so loved if it had had the atmosphere of season seven throughout.

On the other hand, I do think we lost something from TERROR OF THE AUTONS onward.
I think they should've worked harder to maintain the core spirit of season seven, whilst allowing for a little softening around the edges.

Think of a ball-bearing coated in sugar. :emoji_wink: