Review Spider-Man (2002)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
assfsdf.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie....

When bitten by a genetically modified spider, a nerdy, shy, and awkward high school student gains spider-like abilities that he eventually must use to fight evil as a superhero after tragedy befalls his family.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

After the terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001, Sony recalled teaser posters which showed a close-up of Spider-Man's face with the New York skyline (including, prominently, the World Trade Center towers) reflected in his eyes. The film's original teaser trailer, released in 2001 and shown before Atlantis: The Lost Empire, American Pie 2, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Planet of the Apes, and Jurassic Park III, featured a mini-film plot involving a group of bank robbers escaping in a Eurocopter AS355 Twin Squirrel helicopter, which gets caught from behind and propelled backward into what at first appears to be a net, then is shown to be a gigantic spider web spun between the World Trade Center towers.

According to Sony, the trailer did not contain any actual footage from the film itself and is consequently one of the most popular "Special Shoot" trailers since Terminator 2: Judgment Day.[51] The trailer and poster were pulled after the events of the attacks, but can be found on the internet on websites such as YouTube.

Last edited:

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
Was always disappointed at this......

View attachment 9156
I think the main problem was that the character appeared a lot more menacing when he wasn't wearing the costume. If the filmmakers had designed the costume so that it responded to his facial movement, it might have worked a lot better. I also would have preferred a more goofy, psychopathic voice for the character, similar to the Joker, but the voice used in the movie was fine.

Doctor Omega

I remember the shadow of 9/11 falling onto the film in more ways than just the pulled trailer and poster. There was that scene where a bystander shouts out to Goblin something like "You attack one New Yorker, you attack all New Yorkers" - or words to that effect.

So obvious where that was coming from.